A poultry farmer has died after accidentally ingesting a chemical at his farm, which he mistook for water, according to a police report.
Gerald Boodoo, 44, of Penal Rock Road, Basse Terre Road, Moruga, returned home from his farm where he rears 8,600 chickens shortly before 2 pm, on Saturday.
Guardian Media understands Boodoo told his wife Tricia that he was not feeling well, and she gave him a glass of cola. Boodoo fell asleep on a couch in the living room. However, around 6 pm, he started complaining of stomach pains and began vomiting. He was given a Gravol tablet.
Reports are that at 1 am, the vomiting worsened, and Boodoo also had developed diarrhoea. Later that morning, at about 7 o' clock, while his wife was speaking to the family doctor on the phone, Boodoo reportedly told her to tell the doctor that while on his farm he picked up a bottle thinking it was water and drank some, but then realized that it was a chemical.
The family doctor later visited him at home and ordered that he be taken immediately to the Princes Town District Health Facility. While on his way to the health facility in his wife's car, Boodoo stopped talking near Indian Walk Village, Moruga.
The Police Service confirmed that 10 minutes after Boodoo arrived at the health facility, a doctor pronounced him dead.
An autopsy is expected to be conducted this week.
Cpl Dickie is investigating.