JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Relatives, attorneys plead with Govt

to show detainees compassion,

by

Otto Carrington
610 days ago
20230805
Relatives of the Venezuelan migrants detained at the Heliport in Chaguaramas outside the attorneys’ office on Keate Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

Relatives of the Venezuelan migrants detained at the Heliport in Chaguaramas outside the attorneys’ office on Keate Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

ABRAHAM DIAZ

Se­nior Re­porter

ot­to.car­ring­ton@cnc3.co.tt

Rel­a­tives of the Venezue­lan mi­grants de­tained at the Ch­aguara­mas He­li­port are de­mand­ing that the Gov­ern­ment take im­me­di­ate steps to show com­pas­sion to­wards them.

Armed with refugee peace flags, the rel­a­tives showed strong sup­port for their loved ones out­side their at­tor­neys’ Keate Street, Port-of-Spain of­fice, on Fi­day.

Just over 20 of them pas­sion­ate­ly called on Gov­ern­ment to demon­strate com­pas­sion as the court heard sub­mis­sions re­gard­ing an in­junc­tion by at­tor­neys for 64 mi­grants de­tained since Ju­ly 9.

The in­junc­tion was heard be­fore Jus­tice Ricky Rahim, who re­served judg­ment to next week.

At­tor­ney Blaine So­brien pro­vid­ed an up­date to the mi­grants’ rel­a­tives on the sit­u­a­tion.

“We are seek­ing leave to re­view the de­ci­sion to con­tin­ue de­tain­ing the mi­grants pend­ing their ap­pli­ca­tions for UN­HCR sta­tus. The court has heard us and the re­spon­dent, the Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty. Jus­tice Rahim will ren­der his de­ci­sion on Tues­day. In the mean­time, the Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty has un­der­tak­en not to de­port any of the mi­grants at the He­li­port un­til that de­ci­sion is ren­dered,” So­brien said.

He said de­spite what has been tak­ing place on the le­gal end, at­tor­neys are con­cerned about what has been oc­cur­ring the He­li­port.

“In the in­ter­im, how­ev­er, we re­main con­cerned about the in­hu­mane and dan­ger­ous con­di­tions at the He­li­port that we have in­for­ma­tion to sus­pect. Fur­ther­more, we have no in­for­ma­tion or ev­i­dence from any third par­ty to sug­gest that these con­di­tions are hu­mane. There is no in­de­pen­dent over­sight,” So­brien said.

On Ju­ly 9, of­fi­cers from sev­er­al arms of na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty raid­ed Apex Bar in St James, re­sult­ing in the de­ten­tion of 193 Venezue­lan mi­grants. Since then, over 50 have been re­leased and some of the re­main­ing mi­grants were giv­en de­por­ta­tion or­ders from the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty.

Speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day, at­tor­ney Nafeesa Mo­hammed, who is rep­re­sent­ing one of the mi­grants, em­pha­sised that the is­sue goes be­yond the courts.

“We must re­mem­ber that these are hu­man be­ings. When we see these women and young per­sons in­volved, it be­comes a hu­man­i­tar­i­an cri­sis. We can on­ly hope and pray that our coun­try con­tin­ues to work to­wards the req­ui­site sys­tems and ca­pac­i­ty to help treat these mi­grants,” she stat­ed.

Mo­hammed said they are all hop­ing for a pos­i­tive end to the sit­u­a­tion for all con­cerned.

“We have faith in our ju­di­cial sys­tem and hope and pray that jus­tice will pre­vail. These peo­ple are be­ing de­tained at the He­li­port un­der ques­tion­able con­di­tions, and we hope for a pos­i­tive out­come. Law en­force­ment and hu­man rights con­sid­er­a­tions need to be bal­anced in the best in­ter­est of all,” she added.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored