JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Shark attack victim on mend after surgeries

by

Elizabeth Gonzales
341 days ago
20240428
Peter Smith and wife Joanna

Peter Smith and wife Joanna

Social Media

To­ba­go Cor­re­spon­dent

Shark vic­tim Pe­ter Smith is on the road to re­cov­ery af­ter un­der­go­ing mul­ti­ple surg­eries at the Scar­bor­ough Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal since Fri­day.

Last evening, Smith, 64, was in a sta­ble con­di­tion, af­ter he un­der­went a blood trans­fu­sion, doc­tors saved his limbs and his wounds were closed and treat­ed.

The surg­eries last­ed a lit­tle over three hours on Fri­day, sources told Guardian Me­dia. The sur­gi­cal team is, how­ev­er, now prepar­ing to de­ter­mine the next step in his treat­ment.

Sec­re­tary of Health, Well­ness and So­cial Pro­tec­tion Faith B.Yis­rael yes­ter­day said re­ports from the med­ical team con­firmed Smith’s ap­pendages have so far been pre­served and a com­pre­hen­sive sta­tus re­port will be pro­vid­ed soon. She said the med­ical team at the To­ba­go Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty is in con­stant com­mu­ni­ca­tion with the fam­i­ly to de­ter­mine the best way for­ward.

Smith sus­tained se­vere in­juries to his left hand, left thigh, and stom­ach af­ter a bull shark at­tacked him while he was bathing at Cour­land Bay, al­so known as Tur­tle Beach, on Fri­day.

Smith, a guest from the UK at the Starfish Re­sort, was 10 me­ters away from the shore when he was at­tacked. The shark, es­ti­mat­ed to be be­tween eight to ten feet in length and two feet in width, caused se­vere in­juries to Smith, sev­er­ing his left hand from the el­bow down, sev­er­ing his left thigh, and lac­er­at­ing his stom­ach.

Beach­es in To­ba­go re­mained re­strict­ed yes­ter­day, as the search for the bull shark in­volved in the at­tack con­tin­ued.

Store Bay beach was a ghost town. This beach was among ten —be­tween Ply­mouth to Crown Point— re­strict­ed as of­fi­cials from the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly, To­ba­go Emer­gency Man­age­ment Agency, Trinidad and To­ba­go Coast Guard and oth­er stake­hold­ers worked to lo­cate the shark.

De­spite yes­ter­day’s in­ci­dent, UK vis­i­tor Hitesh Pu­jara didn’t think there was a shark threat in To­ba­go.

“It’s fan­tas­tic and I rec­om­mend every­one come here. Don’t wor­ry, the sharks aren’t go­ing to eat us, they might, but don’t wor­ry about it, faith is there,” he said dur­ing a vis­it to Store Bay

He ap­plaud­ed the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly for tak­ing the nec­es­sary ac­tion to pro­tect those on the is­land.

“There has been an im­pact not on­ly on me but all the vis­i­tors to the is­land. The gov­ern­ment, right­ful­ly, has tak­en some sen­si­ble pre­cau­tions to shut down the beach­es to pro­tect us.”

Store Bay life­guard Er­rol Cato told Guardian Me­dia this was the first time he’d heard of such a grue­some shark at­tack.

“Some peo­ple were re­luc­tant to come out of the wa­ter. It wasn’t un­til we let them know there was a shark at­tack. You know any­thing with shark peo­ple are afraid,” he said of their ef­forts on Fri­day to en­sure beach­go­ers were safe.

An­oth­er first-time vis­i­tor from Trinidad, Anil Ram­sa­roop, said he was dis­ap­point­ed he couldn’t en­joy the pris­tine wa­ters but he said he un­der­stood the threat.

“I was very dis­ap­point­ed when we reach in To­ba­go be­cause I couldn’t bathe in the beach­es be­cause it’s so gor­geous and beau­ti­fy. I’m dis­ap­point­ed but I don’t have a choice.”

Mean­while, sev­er­al British me­dia out­lets re­port­ed on the at­tack yes­ter­day.

In an on­line ar­ti­cle, The Stan­dard re­port­ed that Smith, a fa­ther of two from Berkham­st­ed, Hert­ford­shire, was be­ing com­fort­ed by his wife, Joan­na, 62, who has been at his side at the Scar­bor­ough Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal since the at­tack.

The re­port said Smith, a re­tired IT work­er, had been hol­i­day­ing on the is­land with his wife and friends and was due to fly home on the day he was at­tacked.

It quot­ed Ori­on Jakerov, a wa­ter sports man­ag­er at the Starfish Ho­tel where Smith was stay­ing, say­ing peo­ple with Smith tried to fight off the shark and that “no­body saw it com­ing”.

Briton Stephanie Wright, from West Sus­sex, who was with Smith, re­called what she saw, “I orig­i­nal­ly thought the gen­tle­man had had a car­diac ar­rest and I thought they were help­ing him. I saw some­one run­ning down with a tow­el and then I saw a dor­sal fin come out of the wa­ter and thought, ‘Oh my God, it’s a shark.’ As it turned, I saw the tail come out as well as it swam off.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored