JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

As fire­fight­ers swamped with bomb threat calls...

Sniffer dog called in at Sando school

by

705 days ago
20230429
Scott’s Caribbean K9 Ltd training director Marlon Scott and Antonella, a labrador retriever sniffer dog, sweeps a classroom at the Trinidad Renaissance School, after they received an emailed bomb threat yesterday.

Scott’s Caribbean K9 Ltd training director Marlon Scott and Antonella, a labrador retriever sniffer dog, sweeps a classroom at the Trinidad Renaissance School, after they received an emailed bomb threat yesterday.

KRISTIAN DE SILVA

rad­hi­ca­s­ookraj@guardian.co.tt

 

A bomb snif­fer dog and his han­dler combed the Trinidad Re­nais­sance School in San Fer­nan­do yes­ter­day, af­ter the school re­ceived one of sev­er­al bomb threats emailed to ed­u­ca­tion­al in­sti­tutes across the coun­try.

With bomb ex­perts from the T&T Fire Ser­vice and the TTPS Cy­ber Crime Unit swamped with re­ports in over 55 schools, the prin­ci­pal of Trinidad Re­nais­sance Ravichan­dra Dabie said he was un­able to get them to re­spond to his school.

This was why he called in the train­ing di­rec­tor at Scott Caribbean K9 Se­cu­ri­ty Con­cepts Lim­it­ed to en­sure that every­thing was in or­der.

Dabie said he no­ticed his school was one of the few pri­ma­ry schools which re­ceived a bomb threat. The damn­ing email was found in the spam email and Dabie said they im­me­di­ate­ly evac­u­at­ed the school.

“The school has to be cer­ti­fied for us to re-en­ter af­ter the bomb threat. The school had to be in­spect­ed. But giv­en the lim­it­ed re­sources of the Fire Ser­vice and the stretch of the Fire Ser­vice to­day, it was dif­fi­cult to get the Fire Ser­vices to come down here to do in­spec­tions and ap­prove it for us to get back in,” he ex­plained.

Mean­while, Scott Caribbean K9 Se­cu­ri­ty Con­cepts train­ing di­rec­tor Mar­lon Scott called for a part­ner­ship be­tween the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice Cy­ber-Crime Unit, say­ing threats like the ones yes­ter­day will oc­cur again in the fu­ture.

“We want to se­cure our na­tion’s youth. The rogue el­e­ments aim to dis­rupt and as law-abid­ing cit­i­zens, our aim should be proac­tive and be one step ahead of them. Will this hap­pen again? I say yes. We have to make sure we stand ready to keep our na­tion and schools safe,” he said.

He not­ed that the dogs are trained in sniff­ing out 17 dif­fer­ent types of bombs. He said af­ter their search of the com­pound, the teacher would have been able to go back to school in a re­laxed frame of mind. He said his com­pa­ny had been reach­ing out to the min­istry to as­sist.

“We have sev­en de­tec­tion dogs, de­tec­tion han­dlers and de­tec­tion op­er­a­tors. We want to as­sist, and it is part of our cor­po­rate re­spon­si­bil­i­ty to as­sist schools and com­mu­ni­ties,” Scott said.

Mean­while, at Pe­nal Sec­ondary, stu­dents left the muster point and broke through the school fence to buy snow cones. The teach­ers were seen sit­ting in the shade in the up­per part of the school while the stu­dents gath­ered in the open recre­ation ground in the swel­ter­ing heat.

Snow cone ven­dor Ja­son John had a dif­fi­cult time keep­ing up with or­ders as the stu­dents crawled through the hole in the fence, while oth­ers climbed over the wire to get snow cones. Even­tu­al­ly, a teacher came and or­dered the stu­dents back up the hill, shout­ing at them about the dam­age they’d done to the fence.

At Iere High School, the evac­u­a­tion was or­der­ly, as prin­ci­pal Roy Nand­lal took the chil­dren in­to the near­by field. The teach­ers took a head­count and matched it to the ini­tial records tak­en in the morn­ing.

Par­ent Ann Ce­de­no hugged her daugh­ter Va­le­ria Ro­jas when she ar­rived to pick her up.

“I was wor­ried when I heard what hap­pened. You send them to school and you don’t know if they com­ing back home,” she said.

An­oth­er par­ent, Jer­ry Ali, said the in­con­ve­nience and pan­ic that the emails caused were un­war­rant­ed.

At Shi­va Boys’ Hin­du Col­lege, prin­ci­pal Dex­ter Sakal al­so had his team in or­der, as stu­dents gath­ered at the muster point while the fire­fight­ers combed every class­room. Par­ents were al­lowed to pick up their chil­dren.

Oth­er schools which dis­missed ear­ly were Bar­rack­pore East and Bar­rack­pore West as well as Par­vati Girls’ Hin­du Col­lege.

 

 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored