JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Suspected COVID-19 patient’s ordeal at Caura Hospital

by

News Desk
1811 days ago
20200419

A for­mer sus­pect­ed COVID-19 pa­tient of the Cau­ra Health Fa­cil­i­ty has de­scribed her ex­pe­ri­ence there as “trau­mat­ic, de­press­ing and frus­trat­ing.” She claimed staff did not have enough per­son­al pro­tec­tive equip­ment (PPE) and pa­tients were giv­en one dis­pos­able face mask which they had to wash and reuse every day.

The woman said she was al­so kept in a space with some­one who ex­hib­it­ed men­tal health symp­tons, defe­cat­ed on the floor and smeared it every­where. She had to eat and sleep in the room where all of this hap­pened.

Sasha Su­per­sad gave these de­tails in an af­fi­davit filed in a mat­ter against At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi, in which she is seek­ing dam­ages over her treat­ment while at the fa­cil­i­ty for ten days. The law­suit was filed by at­tor­ney Anand Ram­lo­gan on Fri­day.

Ram­sa­roop said on March 30 at 7.30 am she pre­sent­ed her­self to be neb­u­lised at the Ari­ma Health Fa­cil­i­ty. She is an asth­ma pa­tient and did not have the med­ica­tion for her neb­u­lis­er and felt it nec­es­sary to vis­it the health fa­cil­i­ty.

Af­ter be­ing neb­u­lised, Su­per­sad said her breath­ing im­proved. She was then sent for a chest x-ray in a dif­fer­ent de­part­ment.

Ac­cord­ing to the af­fi­davit, af­ter the x-ray, Su­per­sad was sent to the neub­li­sa­tion tent in the carpark of the fa­cil­i­ty. She said there were sev­er­al oth­er pa­tients there. Some had flu-like symp­toms, the area was crowd­ed and there were few doc­tors and nurs­es present.

It was not the first time she had gone to the fa­cil­i­ty to be treat­ed and in the past she said she would be dis­charged. This time that did not hap­pen.

Ac­cord­ing to Su­per­sad, nine hours af­ter she first went to the fa­cil­i­ty, at around 4.30 pm, two fe­male doc­tors told her she would be swabbed for COVID-19. She ques­tioned the de­ci­sion since she said she had no flu-like symp­toms, had not trav­elled or been in con­tact with any­one with a trav­el his­to­ry and had been do­ing every­thing the min­istry asked in terms of so­cial dis­tanc­ing and iso­la­tion.

She claimed al­most two hours af­ter the swab was tak­en, an­oth­er doc­tor told her she would be tak­en to the Er­ic Williams Med­ical Sci­ences Com­plex (EWM­SC), Mt Hope, to be ex­am­ined by a chest spe­cial­ist.

She was shut­tled to the fa­cil­i­ty and got there at 7.30 pm, 12 hours af­ter she first went to the Ari­ma fa­cil­i­ty. She said her rel­a­tives were not in­formed that she had been sent to Mt Hope and on­ly found out when her sis­ter called to in­quire about her.

Ac­cord­ing to Su­per­sad’s af­fi­davit, at the EWM­SC she was placed in an iso­la­tion room with more than six peo­ple. She claimed that some of the peo­ple were cough­ing and she was scared of be­ing ex­posed to COVID-19.

Tired af­ter her more than 12-hour or­deal, she asked a nurse to use an emp­ty room with a stretch­er which she sani­tised with wet wipes. She said she had to use a wash­room, used by both males and fe­males, the con­di­tion of the which she de­scribed as dis­gust­ing.

“There was no toi­let pa­per. A roll of Boun­ty pa­per tow­els was on the dirty floor and this is what pa­tients were forced to use as a sub­sti­tute for toi­let pa­per,” she said in her claim.

Su­per­sad said the toi­let bowl was al­so clogged and could not be flushed.

“The smell was un­bear­able,” she said, adding she want­ed to vom­it but held back.

When she put her hand in­side the card­board cylin­der she re­alised what “the pa­per tow­els were wrapped around was dirty and had rem­nants of hu­man fae­ces. My hands got dirty as I had to in­sert my fin­gers in­side to pull on the pa­per tow­els to tear them out to use.”

Su­per­sad’s af­fi­davit al­so claimed there was no soap or hand sani­tis­er avail­able, in breach of the min­istry’s own guide­lines to fre­quent­ly wash your hands to pre­vent the spread of the virus.

The next day she was told she could not leave the iso­la­tion area or have a show­er since there were no fa­cil­i­ties and “at this point I felt ex­haust­ed, de­pressed and frus­trat­ed. I broke down in tears as these were not the con­di­tions I was ac­cus­tomed to.”

On April 1, Su­per­sad said a man in a haz­mat suit came and told her she was be­ing moved to the Cau­ra Health Fa­cil­i­ty.

“I was again shocked by this since ab­solute­ly no med­ical ex­am­i­na­tion was done on me at the EWM­SC,” she said.

At Cau­ra, Su­per­sad said she was put in a room with oth­er pa­tients and as­signed to a bed on Ward 7. She claims she was put “in a quar­an­tine ward with po­ten­tial COVID-19 pos­i­tive pa­tients await­ing their re­sults.”

On April 2, Su­per­sad said she was con­tact­ed by the Coun­ty Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr Lal­lo, who told her she had test­ed neg­a­tive for COVID-19. But she was not al­lowed to go home, nor was she giv­en a copy of her test re­sults which she re­quest­ed.

On April 3, five days af­ter her or­deal start­ed, her neg­a­tive re­sult was con­firmed by a Dr Fred­er­icks. She asked again to go home and was re­fused.

On April 5, Su­per­sad said she was swabbed “a sec­ond time this time by a Dr Ja­cobs. I was in­formed my re­sults would be back with­in 48 hours.”

On April 7, she said she was told by an­oth­er pa­tient, whom she named, that she would have to be “re-swabbed since my sec­ond swab could not read out.”

“I was fu­ri­ous since my pa­tient con­fi­den­tial­i­ty was breached,” she said.

That same evening, a pa­tient ex­hibit­ing what ap­peared to be men­tal health symp­toms was placed in the cu­bi­cle.

“Af­ter hav­ing din­ner, she defe­cat­ed all over the floor and smeared it every­where. The stench of the fae­ces per­me­at­ed the ward and I could not sleep. At that time there were about 19 of us on the ward.”

She said she and oth­er pa­tients told the nurs­ing staff about the sit­u­a­tion but “the nurs­es said that was not their job.”

Of­fers from the pa­tients to as­sist with clean­ing up the mess were re­fused.

“I was forced to eat and sleep in the fae­ces-smeared room,” she said and fur­ther claimed in the af­fi­davit that the mess was “not cleaned un­til 14 hours lat­er on the morn­ing of April 8.”

On the morn­ing of April 8, a nurse at­tempt­ed to give her med­ica­tion. She said she re­fused and the nurse sub­se­quent­ly apol­o­gised and told her the med­ica­tion was re­al­ly for a para­plegic pa­tient.

The next day, frus­trat­ed and de­pressed by what she had been through, Su­per­sad start­ed to ex­plore her le­gal op­tions. Her fa­ther re­tained at­tor­ney Om Lal­la, who sent a let­ter to the Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer on her be­half. How­ev­er, she was re­leased the next day.

Ac­cord­ing to Su­per­sad’s af­fi­davit, less than 12 hours af­ter the pre-ac­tion pro­to­col let­ter was sent “at ap­prox­i­mate­ly 7 pm on April 9, a doc­tor by the name of Dr Pul­chan called me on my cell phone to in­form me that the read­ing from my sec­ond swab, which was ini­tial­ly read as in­con­sis­tent, was retest­ed and came back neg­a­tive, hence I was free to go home.”

She said the ex­pe­ri­ence was “hu­mil­i­at­ing and de­grad­ing” and the con­di­tions were less than ide­al.

“There was un­avoid­able open mix­ing of pa­tients, since pa­tients who were wait­ing on test re­sults and pa­tients who al­ready test­ed pos­i­tive had to use the same toi­let and bath­room fa­cil­i­ties which was cleaned once every 24 hours.”

She is, there­fore, now seek­ing le­gal re­dress for un­law­ful de­ten­tion at the Ari­ma Health Fa­cil­i­ty, the EWM­SC and Cau­ra Health Fa­cil­i­ty.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored