JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Tax ease for retrenched workers

by

Gail Alexander
2328 days ago
20181119
A section of PNM supporters at the party’s convention at the Shaw Park Cultural Centre in Tobago yesterday.

A section of PNM supporters at the party’s convention at the Shaw Park Cultural Centre in Tobago yesterday.

DAVE ELLIOTT

Fi­nance Min­istry Colm Im­bert will be lift­ing the tax-free lim­it for re­trenched Petrotrin work­ers from $300,000 to $500,000, leav­ing more cash in work­ers’ hands.

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley said he di­rect­ed Im­bert to lift the tax-free lim­it “to help them get over this hur­dle.” He made the an­nounce­ment in his ad­dress at the rul­ing PNM’s an­nu­al con­ven­tion at Shaw Park Cul­tur­al Cen­tre in To­ba­go on Sun­day.

This lat­est fol­lows the re­cent clo­sure of the Petrotrin re­fin­ery and re­struc­tur­ing of the state-owned en­er­gy com­pa­ny. New com­pa­nies will be­gin op­er­at­ing from De­cem­ber 1.

Petrotrin had 3,500 per­ma­nent work­ers and ap­prox­i­mate­ly 1,500 tem­po­rary work­ers.

Last week Im­bert told Par­lia­ment the pay­out for work­ers on av­er­age was in ex­cess of $500,000 per em­ploy­ee. He said some were get­ting $2 mil­lion. He said the con­cept of “av­er­age” was at least half of work­ers, not a few.

Im­bert made the point dur­ing de­bate on Petrotrin when Op­po­si­tion mem­bers sought clar­i­fi­ca­tion on work­ers’ pay­ments and queried the “en­hanced pack­ages” En­er­gy Min­is­ter Franklin Khan had said would be made. The Op­po­si­tion ac­cused Gov­ern­ment of “pau­peris­ing” work­ers. UNC whip David Lee, say­ing Gov­ern­ment was “heart­less,” added that the Row­ley ad­min­is­tra­tion wasn’t con­sid­er­ing that work­ers were los­ing jobs a month be­fore Christ­mas and had oblig­a­tions to meet. Lee, who said work­ers were cry­ing and de­pressed, asked the state to “hold its hand” and re­think its Petrotrin plan.

Yes­ter­day Row­ley, who re­count­ed the need to close the re­fin­ery and the cri­sis com­pa­ny’s loss­es had posed to T&T, said sev­er­al pack­ages had been an­nounced for work­ers in an over­all pack­age of more than $2.6 bil­lion. He said work­ers al­so “have to their ben­e­fit” an $11 bil­lion pen­sion fund.

Row­ley said in­creas­ing the tax-free lim­it from $300,000 to $500,000 would cost the state an ad­di­tion­al $150 mil­lion but put “$50,000 more in the hands of the af­fect­ed fam­i­lies.”

“If you lis­ten to those with oth­er con­ver­sa­tions and oth­er agen­das, you’ll be­lieve we were push­ing them over a cliff and turn­ing our backs on them,” he said.

Row­ley al­so said Gov­ern­ment was ‘tak­ing care to soft­en the stress” on work­ers, their fam­i­lies and Petrotrin fence­line com­mu­ni­ties by con­cen­trat­ing de­vel­op­ment in the south-west penin­su­la from San Fer­nan­do Point Fortin.

Com­ment­ing on Petrotrin’s loss-mak­ing sit­u­a­tion, he said: “We’re find­ing our way back to pros­per­i­ty and we’re see­ing the light.”

He added T&T had sold its first tanker of lo­cal crude oil and was paid in “hard cur­ren­cy”, so the coun­try is now re­stored to the “fa­mil­iar po­si­tion of the high­er the oil price, the bet­ter Trinidad and To­ba­go’s for­tunes.”

Row­ley said loss­es at the re­fin­ery had stopped and the en­ti­ty was now a stand-alone com­pa­ny that was open for pro­pos­als. T&T al­so im­port­ed and dis­trib­uted its first batch of im­port­ed fu­el, he said, adding: “Our goal is a com­plete turn­around, which has be­gun,”

Row­ley said Petrotrin’s loss­es had threat­ened the coun­try’s sov­er­eign­ty as well as its econ­o­my in a sit­u­a­tion that was tak­ing the coun­try “straight to the in­ter­na­tion­al down­grade of junk bond sta­tus.”

He said: “It had to be re­struc­tured for the ben­e­fit of all the peo­ple,”

Some at the Pointe-a-Pierre re­fin­ery had al­lowed the sit­u­a­tion to re­main “in the red” for fear of los­ing their posts even if it meant hurt­ing TT in the process, the Prime Min­is­ter said. He claimed that the past PP ad­min­is­tra­tion failed to act on the mat­ter out of fear, which al­so caused them to “hide five years of loss­es on Petrotrin’s books.”

Com­ment­ing on gas sec­tor for­tunes, Row­ley said Gov­ern­ment has been in “frank talks” with its gas sec­tor part­ners.

“In the same was they ap­proach us when their cir­cum­stances change and we give them con­ces­sions, we’ve been good to them and we ex­pect our part­ners will be good al­so,” he said

He said he was pleased to re­port that all T&T’s part­ners had agreed to dis­cuss im­prov­ing cur­rent terms to bring them in align­ment with “a fair­er slice of the eco­nom­ic pie.”

“Those talks are about to be con­clud­ed and we’ll re­port to you as soon as the con­clu­sion is avail­able to us,” Row­ley said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored