JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Tobago Police Division gets reinforcements from Trinidad after crime surge

by

Elizabeth Gonzales
467 days ago
20231224

Eliz­a­beth Gon­za­les and Rhon­dor Dowlat

Po­lice of­fi­cers from Trinidad have been sent to To­ba­go to pro­vide re­in­force­ments to the To­ba­go Di­vi­sion to in­crease safe­ty and se­cu­ri­ty on the is­land dur­ing the Christ­mas sea­son and be­yond.

Res­i­dents and the busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty were left hor­ri­fied by the num­ber of mur­ders record­ed in To­ba­go in un­der 24 hours last week, push­ing the is­land’s toll to 13 so far for 2023.

On Tues­day a Sig­nal Hill woman was found dead in a drain in Mt Irvine. Less than 24 hours lat­er, po­lice re­spond­ed to a dou­ble mur­der in Crown Point. By Fri­day, two men were in­jured in a dri­ve-by shoot­ing.

Af­ter an al­leged mem­ber of a To­ba­go Sixx Gang was shot and killed at the Crown Point es­tab­lish­ment, a re­lease is­sued by the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice’s Head of Homi­cide Snr Supt Rishi Singh said po­lice were prepar­ing for pos­si­ble reprisals.

Guardian Me­dia was told that whilst the num­ber of of­fi­cers will not be dis­closed be­cause of the sen­si­tiv­i­ty of the op­er­a­tion, mem­bers of the In­ter-Agency Task Force and Guard and Emer­gency Branch from Trinidad are part of the op­er­a­tions cur­rent­ly in To­ba­go.

Of­fi­cers con­duct­ed a mo­bile/foot pa­trol in the down­town Scar­bor­ough area yes­ter­day where sev­er­al ve­hi­cles and peo­ple were stopped and searched how­ev­er, noth­ing il­le­gal was found.

These ex­er­cis­es will con­tin­ue across the is­land.

The ex­er­cise was spear­head­ed by ACPs Col­lis Hazel, Kelvern Thomp­son, co­or­di­nat­ed by Snr Supts Roger Alexan­der, Earl El­lie, Michael Jack­man, Supts Dave Spence, Rod­cliffe Kirk, su­per­vised by ASP Rame­sar and in­clud­ed In­sp Forbes, Cpls Wal­lace, To­bias and PCs Balka­ran, Smith, King, De Coteau, Bab­wah and Bas­so.

Busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty hor­ri­fied, says CoP must vis­it the is­land in Jan­u­ary

Mean­while, To­ba­go’s busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty is still call­ing for an ur­gent meet­ing with Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Er­la Hare­wood-Christo­pher as the is­land’s mur­der rate reached a record high last week.

Chair­man of the Trinidad and To­ba­go Cham­ber of In­dus­try and Com­merce, To­ba­go Di­vi­sion Cur­tis Williams told Guardian Me­dia the sit­u­a­tion is fright­en­ing and that crime has cost To­ba­go mil­lions in loss­es in 2023.

Williams said the busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty was left hor­ri­fied by the num­ber of mur­ders record­ed in To­ba­go in un­der 24 hours push­ing the is­land’s toll to 13 for 2023.

Williams said, “I need to see the com­mis­sion­er of po­lice in Jan­u­ary. She needs to be in To­ba­go in Jan­u­ary be­cause we have to set the pace for this is­land and we need the com­mis­sion­er to be on board with it. She nev­er vis­it­ed To­ba­go on an of­fi­cial ba­sis to see the stake­hold­ers and busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty, so we are plead­ing with the com­mis­sion­er of po­lice, yuh need to be in To­ba­go in Jan­u­ary. Let’s start the year on a good foot.”

Williams said the busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty was un­com­fort­able with the crim­i­nal el­e­ments and ac­tiv­i­ties. This, he said, has been creep­ing in­to To­ba­go for some time.

“We want the com­mis­sion­er, we want the head. We don’t want the ACP. We want to have mean­ing­ful di­a­logue, not promis­es. She can share some of her ob­jects and pro­pos­als that she may have for the is­land be­cause deal­ing with crime in To­ba­go as well as in Trinidad is two dif­fer­ent things. To­ba­go is unique and we need to set a prop­er plan.”

The cham­ber will write to the com­mis­sion­er on Jan­u­ary 1, ask­ing for the meet­ing.

“We (the busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty) have been hit by crime. I my­self have been a vic­tim of it in the Crown Point area suf­fer­ing thou­sands of dol­lars in loss­es and just the trau­ma my em­ploy­ees faced, it amounts up to hun­dreds of thou­sands of dol­lars. That is why we need the com­mis­sion­er here.

“We just need her for one day to sit and dis­cuss things of per­ti­nent im­por­tance to the se­cu­ri­ty of the is­land of To­ba­go.”

Williams said he un­der­stands the po­lice alone can­not re­duce crime, which is why his cham­ber is of­fer­ing all the sup­port the To­ba­go po­lice needs to ef­fec­tive­ly re­duce the crime rate.

Calls and texts to Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Er­la Hare­wood-Christo­pher went unan­swered.

Man charged with mur­der of Mt Irvine woman

A Pa­tience Hill man is ex­pect­ed to ap­pear be­fore a Scar­bor­ough Mag­is­trate charged with the mur­der of 39-year-old Jan­nelle Sowe-Thomas.

Po­lice charged the man on Fri­day af­ter­noon fol­low­ing ad­vice from the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions. He is ex­pect­ed to ap­pear be­fore the court on Wednes­day morn­ing.

Sowe-Thomas would have cel­e­brat­ed her 40th birth­day on that day with close friends and fam­i­ly, but in­stead, in­ves­ti­ga­tors spent the day clos­ing the case to have a sus­pect charged with her death.

Po­lice sus­pect a do­mes­tic dis­pute may have been the mo­tive be­hind the mur­der. Sowe-Thomas of Sig­nal Hill was doused with gaso­line and set on fire in Mt Irvine on De­cem­ber 19.

The man re­port­ed­ly walked in­to the Shir­van Po­lice Sta­tion and con­fessed be­fore tak­ing of­fi­cers to Gle­nea­gles Dri­ve, where he al­leged­ly left Sowe-Thomas’s body in a drain.

Sowe-Thomas was To­ba­go’s 11th mur­der vic­tim for 2023. In a brief con­ver­sa­tion, Sowe-Thomas’ moth­er, Moureen, told Guardian Me­dia she has been hav­ing a hard time cop­ing with her daugh­ter’s death. She is not sure how to feel about the news that a man known to the fam­i­ly has been charged with her mur­der. How­ev­er, she said it was jus­tice for the fam­i­ly.

The fam­i­ly will be present at the Scar­bor­ough Mag­is­trates’ Court on Wednes­day for the hear­ing.

She said cel­e­brat­ing her daugh­ter’s birth­day with­out her was dev­as­tat­ing.

“I can­not talk about it right now. I don’t even know what to say. Every time I talk about it my head gets hot. I don’t know. Her sis­ters would like to go to the court, but I would not be able to go. It’s hard.”

Two men shot in Carn­bee

Mean­while, two men were ward­ed at the Scar­bor­ough Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal on Fri­day night af­ter gun­men shot at them in Carn­bee #1.

CCTV footage showed the men were sit­ting in a dark area along the pave­ment just af­ter 11 pm when a sil­ver car pulled along­side them. Two armed men jumped out and shot at them sev­er­al times.

Po­lice told Guardian Me­dia that Ajanie Al­leyne and Kishawn Mc­Don­ald were shot in the but­tocks, leg, and pe­nis.

The men es­caped on foot be­fore the gun­men re­turned to the car and sped off.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands the car al­leged­ly in­volved in the shoot­ing was found aban­doned in Sig­nal Hill Sat­ur­day morn­ing.

In­ves­ti­ga­tions are on­go­ing.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored