JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Toilet paper thief gets off

...now accused of misuse of corporation’s truck

by

Gail Alexander
2170 days ago
20190424
Ashmead Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer, Mayaro/ Rio Claro Regional Corporation at yesterday’s JSC meeting.

Ashmead Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer, Mayaro/ Rio Claro Regional Corporation at yesterday’s JSC meeting.

OFFICE OF THE PARLIAMENT

A Ma­yaro/Rio Claro Re­gion­al Cor­po­ra­tion dri­ver who es­caped pros­e­cu­tion for al­leged­ly steal­ing 103 bales of toi­let pa­per be­long­ing to the cor­po­ra­tion a year ago, is now un­der probe for al­leged mis­use of the or­gan­i­sa­tion’s truck.

The dri­ver should know his fate soon when an in­ves­ti­gat­ing tri­bunal pro­nounces on the mat­ter, ac­cord­ing to Cor­po­ra­tion CEO Ash­mead Mo­hammed on Wednes­day.

He pro­vid­ed an up­date of the sit­u­a­tion to a Par­lia­men­tary over­sight com­mit­tee on Lo­cal Au­thor­i­ties, Ser­vice Com­mis­sions and Statu­to­ry Au­thor­i­ties yes­ter­day.

Com­mit­tee mem­ber Ra­mona Ram­di­al had ques­tioned Mo­hammed about the mis­ap­pro­pri­a­tion of the toi­let pa­per al­leged­ly by a cor­po­ra­tion dri­ver.

Mo­hammed said the is­sue oc­curred a year to 18 months ago and while po­lice “gave clo­sure” on the is­sue, they in­formed the cor­po­ra­tion the statu­to­ry pe­ri­od in which charges could be laid had ex­pired. Mo­hammed said dis­ci­pli­nary ac­tion in­volved im­me­di­a­cy and the in­ci­dent was about 12-18 months ago.

He said po­lice were an­tic­i­pat­ing that out of the “glar­ing ev­i­dence” avail­able, the mat­ter would have been dealt with by cor­po­ra­tion mu­nic­i­pal po­lice.

Mo­hammed said de­lay in deal­ing with the mat­ter had been a “grey area” al­though the cor­po­ra­tion CEO heads the mu­nic­i­pal po­lice. He ex­plained a pre­vi­ous in­spec­tor felt the CEO wasn’t his im­me­di­ate su­per­vi­sor, but a suc­ceed­ing of­fi­cer recog­nised his se­nior­i­ty.

Mo­hammed added, “I don’t know if it’s fate but the very dri­ver al­leged­ly in­volved (in the toi­let pa­per is­sue) is right now sub­ject of an­oth­er dis­ci­pli­nary ac­tion.”

Say­ing the per­son is still em­ployed at the cor­po­ra­tion, Mo­hammed added “There’s a cur­rent in­ves­ti­ga­tion on al­leged mis­use of a truck while dri­ving it and his al­leged be­hav­iour to­wards mem­bers of the pub­lic and reck­less dri­ving.”

The re­port on this new is­sue is ex­pect­ed to be com­plet­ed in a week, he said.

Mo­hammed re­vealed the cor­po­ra­tion is seek­ing to buy a de­vice cost­ing around $1,000 to de­tect coun­ter­feit mon­ey af­ter a coun­ter­feit $100 bill was found among Cor­po­ra­tion funds de­posit­ed at a bank. Funds came from a con­trac­tor’s fee. The sum was re­placed and re­search was done on what could be done to pre­vent re­cur­rence.

On al­leged “bobol” at Princes Town Re­gion­al Cor­po­ra­tion in 2017 and the Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment Min­is­ter’s plan to au­dit it, Min­istry per­ma­nent sec­re­tary Jen­nifer Daniel said she couldn’t speak on that mat­ter though there have been au­dits at var­i­ous cor­po­ra­tions by the Au­di­tor Gen­er­al and the Min­istry. Deyals­ingh said he had hoped the Min­is­ter would have had an­swers by now on the Princes Town is­sue.

Princes Town fi­nan­cial of­fi­cer Ma­habir Gheesan said two in­stances of fraud against the cor­po­ra­tion were not­ed in­volv­ing an ex­ter­nal com­pa­ny which has not been al­lowed to work for the cor­po­ra­tion again.

Ma­yaro CEO Mo­hammed said his cor­po­ra­tion es­tab­lished a Do­na­tion Reg­is­ter af­ter last year’s flood, to ac­count for items do­nat­ed. This in­clud­ed a dinghy com­ing from a for­eign com­pa­ny. He said the cor­po­ra­tion paid work­ers over­time over East­er to re­move sar­gas­sum weed from sea shores, “But if you move it at 10 am it re­turns by 2 pm. We get no as­sis­tance from Tourism. We store it at a site and the pub­lic’s free to come and take it. Ex­pres­sions of in­ter­est haven’t been forth­com­ing,” he said.

Deyals­ingh it was a small busi­ness which could be ex­plored and hoped some­one used the op­por­tu­ni­ty.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored