JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

T&T completes new Atlantic LNG deal

NGC hopes to boost revenues from 10% stake

by

Asha Javeed
485 days ago
20231206
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and Minister of Energy and Energy Industries Stuart Young hold a commemorative plaque after the signing of the commemorative document in London yesterday. Also in picture, at left, are bpTT president David Campbell and NGC president Mark Loquan.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and Minister of Energy and Energy Industries Stuart Young hold a commemorative plaque after the signing of the commemorative document in London yesterday. Also in picture, at left, are bpTT president David Campbell and NGC president Mark Loquan.

OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTER

Lead Ed­i­tor In­ves­ti­ga­tions

asha.javeed@guardian.co.tt

The Na­tion­al Gas Com­pa­ny (NGC) now has a 10 per cent stake in a land­mark agree­ment for a new com­mer­cial struc­ture for At­lantic LNG, which was signed in Lon­don yes­ter­day.

One year ago, the Gov­ern­ment inked new agree­ments with re­gard to the re­struc­tur­ing At­lantic LNG with bpTT, Shell and the NGC, which changed the com­mer­cial struc­ture of T&T’s liqui­fied nat­ur­al gas en­ti­ty - At­lantic LNG - for the first time in 27 years.

Yes­ter­day’s sign­ing cul­mi­nates five years of ne­go­ti­a­tions be­tween the par­ties and opens the door for greater rev­enue to be de­rived by the state from the At­lantic LNG trains.

For the Gov­ern­ment and coun­try, it means an in­crease in po­ten­tial rev­enue, as En­er­gy Min­is­ter Stu­art Young had said Gov­ern­ment stands to ben­e­fit fi­nan­cial­ly from the re­struc­tur­ing. For the NGC, who re­mits tax­es and div­i­dends to the State, it means a greater stake in LNG busi­ness.

Quan­ti­fy­ing the po­ten­tial rev­enue, how­ev­er, will de­pend on the glob­al de­mand for LNG and T&T’s abil­i­ty to keep sup­ply­ing the three trains with nat­ur­al gas. Present­ly, the Gov­ern­ment is in ne­go­ti­a­tions with Venezuela to com­mer­cialise the Drag­on Gas field, which would add longevi­ty to the life of the trains and se­cure T&T’s en­er­gy fu­ture. As it stands, T&T is the sev­enth largest glob­al pro­duc­er of LNG.

For Shell and BPTT, the deal is sign of their com­mit­ment to con­tin­ue in­vest­ing in T&T.

Ne­go­ti­a­tions be­gan in 2018 and were ex­pect­ed to be ex­e­cut­ed by March 31 but were on­ly con­clud­ed last week.

In re­marks fol­low­ing the sign­ing in Lon­don yes­ter­day, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley ex­plained that it was a long jour­ney since he had made the case to BPTT and Shell that the coun­try was not get­ting enough rev­enue from the con­tracts first ne­go­ti­at­ed when the trains were set up, and asked them to re-ne­go­ti­ate.

“It was a fit of mad­ness to think we could have done this but as I read it, I re­alised it was doable and we did it,” Row­ley said.

He thanked all those in­volved in the re­struc­tur­ing process.

It is un­prece­dent­ed for en­er­gy com­pa­nies to open fixed con­tracts to re-ne­go­ti­ate with a gov­ern­ment to give a coun­try a greater stake in a busi­ness deal.

As such, Row­ley count­ed it as a ma­jor win for the Gov­ern­ment in terms of its abil­i­ty to ne­go­ti­ate and ex­pressed cer­tain­ty that just like oth­er coun­tries have used the At­lantic Trains tem­plate, T&T will use the tem­plate in fu­ture ne­go­ti­a­tions.

As part of ne­go­ti­a­tions with en­er­gy com­pa­nies over the past five years, the State has earned an ad­di­tion­al $15 bil­lion in rev­enues.

The lat­est agree­ments were signed by Young on be­half of the State.

Young be­gan re­struc­tur­ing ne­go­ti­a­tions in 2018 in his ca­pac­i­ty as Min­is­ter in the Of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter and con­clud­ed as Min­is­ter of En­er­gy.

In a me­dia state­ment yes­ter­day, BP said the new struc­ture will al­so fa­cil­i­tate a mar­ket-re­flec­tive pric­ing mech­a­nism that pro­vides fair val­ue from the sale of LNG for both T&T and the share­hold­ers and will al­low for an in­ten­si­fied fo­cus on the op­er­a­tional ef­fi­cien­cy and re­li­a­bil­i­ty of At­lantic.

BP said for in­vestors, it will pro­vide the cer­tain­ty re­quired for sanc­tion­ing the next wave of up­stream gas projects.

bpTT pres­i­dent David Camp­bell said, “bp wel­comes the new struc­ture for At­lantic LNG which has come as a re­sult of close col­lab­o­ra­tion with

all stake­hold­ers. The new struc­ture will ben­e­fit both the Gov­ern­ment of Trinidad and To­ba­go, as well as At­lantic’s share­hold­ers. For bp, the new struc­ture sets a strong foun­da­tion for fu­ture in­vest­ment in T&T’s en­er­gy in­dus­try, in­clud­ing the deep­wa­ter.”

He thanks PM Row­ley and Young for their per­son­al stew­ard­ship of the com­plex ne­go­ti­a­tions.

Mean­while, the NGC said it is ex­cit­ed by the fu­ture prospects of the new share­hold­ing arrange­ment and is pre­pared to lever­age its cur­rent par­tic­i­pat­ing in­ter­est in At­lantic LNG to gen­er­ate max­i­mum val­ue for the coun­try.

“The land­mark com­mer­cial arrange­ment for the fa­cil­i­ty sig­nals the coun­try’s pur­suit of ex­cel­lence on a glob­al scale, in an ef­fort to max­imise all op­por­tu­ni­ties for bol­ster­ing the sus­tain­able de­vel­op­ment of Trinidad and To­ba­go’s LNG and en­er­gy sec­tors,” NGC said.

“The com­pa­ny reaf­firms its com­mit­ment to seek av­enues to op­ti­mise the per­for­mance of this arm of its busi­ness. NGC has strength­ened its re­silience in the face of a tran­si­tion­ing en­er­gy fu­ture and will con­tin­ue to act in the best in­ter­est of the cit­i­zens of Trinidad and To­ba­go.”

Share­hold­ing struc­ture

The share­hold­ers of At­lantic LNG are now bpTT, Shell and the NGC.

The Chi­na In­vest­ment Cor­po­ra­tion (CIC), which had an eq­ui­ty in­ter­est in AL­NG Train One, ex­it­ed last year.

Be­fore, the ex­ist­ing share­hold­er arrange­ments in AL­NG’s four trains were:

Train One: Shell – 46 per cent; BP – 34 per cent; NGC – 10 per cent; CIC – 10 per cent.

Train Two: Shell – 57.5 per cent; BP – 42.5 per cent.

Train Three: Shell – 57.5 per cent, BP – 42.5 per cent.

Train Four: Shell – 51.11 per cent, BP – 37.78 per cent, NGC – 11.11 per cent

Since last year’s agree­ment, rather than sep­a­rate share­hold­er arrange­ments which pre­vi­ous­ly ex­ist­ed for the four trains, the three share­hold­ers now op­er­ate as a uni­tised en­ti­ty for the three op­er­a­tional trains.

In de­liv­er­ing the fea­ture ad­dress in No­vem­ber 2022, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley had said that the new AL­NG struc­ture will see a greater in­volve­ment by the State in the sup­ply and mar­ket­ing of LNG.

To this end, there will be more in­volve­ment by the Min­is­ter of En­er­gy and the NGC.

“Un­til now, all mar­ket­ing of the min­is­ter’s share of nat­ur­al gas in Pro­duc­tion Shar­ing Con­tracts was un­der­tak­en by the op­er­a­tor, on be­half of the min­is­ter (GOTT). In the re­cent­ly ex­e­cut­ed Man­a­tee Field PSC with Shell, the min­is­ter will be tak­ing a more ac­tive role in the mar­ket­ing of nat­ur­al gas to be pro­duced from that field,” Row­ley had sa­di then.

“NGC, which will have a new and in­creased share­hold­ing in the new At­lantic LNG struc­ture, will ben­e­fit from this vari­a­tion in the mar­ket­ing of the min­is­ter’s share of pro­duc­tion. This shift in pol­i­cy en­ables the State to play a more in-depth role in the com­mer­cial arrange­ments for the mar­ket­ing of LNG which will be con­sis­tent with the ac­tions of most gas ex­port­ing coun­tries.”

Dr Row­ley had not­ed that T&T will ben­e­fit from in­creased rev­enues from the new ne­go­ti­a­tions.

He ex­plained that in the Amend­ed and Re­stat­ed HOA, the par­ties had agreed in prin­ci­ple to for­mu­lae which are mar­ket re­flec­tive and are pat­terned on the Train 1 FOB Pric­ing For­mu­la.

“From in­cep­tion in 2018, the Train 1 FOB price main­tained on av­er­age a US$2.0 per mmb­tu dif­fer­en­tial over Hen­ry Hub. How­ev­er, by the com­mence­ment of fis­cal 2022, this dif­fer­en­tial had in­creased to US$6.0 per mmb­tu and rose as high as US$16.0 per mmb­tu in fis­cal 2022. The com­bi­na­tion of im­proved glob­al en­er­gy prices, new mar­ket­ing arrange­ments for LNG and mea­sures in­tro­duced by this Gov­ern­ment, as well as con­tracts ne­go­ti­at­ed in our down­stream Petchem sec­tor, have re­sult­ed in en­er­gy rev­enue for fis­cal 2022 of over $29.0 bil­lion com­pared to an av­er­age of $10.0 bil­lion for the pre­ced­ing five-year pe­ri­od. Whilst high­er com­mod­i­ty prices are part of the ba­sis for this in­creased rev­enue, it is al­so di­rect­ly re­lat­ed to the bet­ter terms that have been ne­go­ti­at­ed since 2017,” he had said.

“The re­struc­tur­ing of At­lantic LNG has giv­en us the op­por­tu­ni­ty to rein­vent the LNG Busi­ness in Trinidad and To­ba­go.

“If we are to make this project a suc­cess, we need to bring these up­stream projects on stream and ac­ces­si­ble to the Re­struc­tured AL­NG Fa­cil­i­ty. As a Gov­ern­ment, we are pre­pared to in­ter­vene if nec­es­sary but hope that the par­ties will take an ac­com­mo­dat­ing stance with­out jeop­ar­dis­ing their com­mer­cial in­ter­ests. We have shown that we are a strate­gic and proac­tive Gov­ern­ment in the en­er­gy sec­tor and I as­sure all of our stake­hold­ers that we will con­tin­ue to work with you to en­sure that we re­main a lead­ing and com­pet­i­tive province.”

New At­lantic LNG deal time­line

2018 - The Gov­ern­ment ini­ti­at­ed dis­cus­sions with the coun­try’s ma­jor gas pro­duc­ers BP Trinidad and To­ba­go LLC and Shell Trinidad and To­ba­go Lim­it­ed on gas re­lat­ed is­sues. One ma­jor ob­jec­tive of the ne­go­ti­a­tions with BPTT and Shell was an agree­ment by the par­ties to re­struc­ture At­lantic LNG.

2019 - In March, the share­hold­ers of At­lantic LNG signed a let­ter of in­tent to dis­cuss the re­struc­tur­ing of At­lantic LNG.

2020 - In April 2020, the share­hold­ers sub­mit­ted a pro­pos­al to Gov­ern­ment to com­mence ne­go­ti­a­tions on a Heads of Agree­ment which was to be fol­lowed by de­fin­i­tive agree­ments. Fol­low­ing in­ten­sive ne­go­ti­a­tions agree­ment was reached on a Heads of Agree­ment (HOA).

2022 - On Jan­u­ary 25, 2022, the Gov­ern­ment and At­lantic LNG Share­hold­ers signed the HOA that out­lined the gov­ern­ing prin­ci­ples re­ferred to as the Gov­ern­ment Prin­ci­ples that form the ba­sis of the De­fin­i­tive Re­struc­tur­ing Agree­ments for the re­struc­tur­ing of At­lantic LNG. The HOA rep­re­sent­ed a com­mit­ment by all par­ties to com­mit to en­ter in­to good faith ne­go­ti­a­tions re­gard­ing the re­struc­tur­ing of the At­lantic fa­cil­i­ty in­to a uni­tised mod­el with a com­mon own­er­ship struc­ture, a com­mer­cial frame­work for gas sup­ply and off­take, and tran­si­tion­ing of the At­lantic Fa­cil­i­ty in­to a sin­gle Uni­tised Fa­cil­i­ty.

De­cem­ber 2022 - Par­ties agreed to amend and re­state the orig­i­nal HOA dat­ed Jan­u­ary 25, 2022, with agreed terms of the De­fin­i­tive Re­struc­tur­ing Agree­ments in the sub­stan­tive is­sues which were built on the Gov­ern­ment Prin­ci­ples and the Com­mer­cial Con­struct was forged by the par­ties.

De­cem­ber 5, 2023- New Re­struc­tur­ing Agree­ment fi­nalised.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored