JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

TTUTA calls for more security after fire at San Juan North Secondary

by

Carisa Lee
84 days ago
20250110
Classes were in session at the San Juan North Secondary School in Bourg Mulatresse yesterday, following a fire in a classroom on Wednesday.

Classes were in session at the San Juan North Secondary School in Bourg Mulatresse yesterday, following a fire in a classroom on Wednesday.

ANISTO ALVES

The Trinidad and To­ba­go Uni­fied Teach­ers’ As­so­ci­a­tion (TTUTA) is call­ing for ad­di­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty at the San Juan North Sec­ondary School, af­ter a fire broke out in a class­room on Wednes­day.

TTUTA pres­i­dent Mar­tin Lum Kin yes­ter­day ex­pressed con­cern about what could have hap­pened if the fire had oc­curred while class­es were in ses­sion. He said he hoped the min­istry would work with the T&T Fire Ser­vice to find out what caused the blaze in a cor­doned-off sec­tion of the school com­pound.

“There should be ways of mon­i­tor­ing parts of the school that do not have se­cu­ri­ty,” he said, not­ing the need for ad­di­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty per­son­nel to do prop­er and reg­u­lar se­cu­ri­ty checks through­out the com­pound.

Video footage of the af­ter­math of the fire, which oc­curred on Block C, showed dam­aged text­books and work­books scat­tered on the floor, along with a door that had been dis­lodged. At least six ceil­ing tiles were miss­ing and sev­er­al oth­ers were dam­aged by the fire.

Voic­es heard in the video were be­lieved to be school of­fi­cials as­sess­ing the dam­age.

“You see­ing where the fire run up they ... lit­er­al­ly see where that fire starts from down they and go up,” one per­son said.

An­oth­er added: “Miss, we have to thank God it didn’t spread fur­ther than this in any num­ber of ways.”

Con­tact­ed on the in­ci­dent, Ed­u­ca­tion Min­is­ter Dr Nyan Gads­by-Dol­ly said there were class­es as nor­mal yes­ter­day and an in­ves­ti­ga­tion to de­ter­mine the cause of the fire was un­der­way. She said the blaze was quick­ly con­tained and there were no in­juries.

Lum Kin al­so ap­pealed to the Ed­u­ca­tion Min­istry to ad­dress a sit­u­a­tion at the San Fer­nan­do Gov­ern­ment Sec­ondary (Mod­sec) that was af­fect­ing the de­liv­ery of the school cur­ricu­lum.

“Teach­ers who would have planned their lab ses­sions have to now resched­ule them,” he said, adding that the school con­tin­ues to be high-per­form­ing but teach­ers are frus­trat­ed.

He al­so said at the Pe­nal West Sec­ondary, teach­ers have to deal with elec­tri­cal is­sues and flood­ing when­ev­er it rains.

“They had some work done on one of the blocks and on the mid­dle floor there is no elec­tric­i­ty in the class­room. They some­times get a foul stench when­ev­er it rains too,” he said.

Lum Kin said dur­ing a vis­it to the school by TTUTA, of­fi­cials said they no­ticed a piece of con­crete from the ceil­ing that fell on a cor­ri­dor dur­ing the va­ca­tion.

“We won­dered if it had fall­en on a stu­dent or a teacher what would hap­pen,” he said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored