by Anna-Lisa Paul
A St Joseph man who was kidnapped by four masked men from his bedroom during the wee hours of August 2, was later released after the “boss” admitted the wrong man had been snatched.
The 28-year-old victim told police he was asleep around 1.15 am, when he was awakened by a noise.
As he sat up, he saw four men surrounding the bed.
Dragged to the edge of the mattress, he was blindfolded and taken outside to a waiting vehicle.
After being driven to an unknown location in east Trinidad where he was strung up, beaten and tortured as they demanded to know about a particular sum of money – the victim was cut down after he kept denying any such knowledge.
After a short while, the kidnappers contacted the man in charge, following which a video call was placed and the victim’s face was held up to the camera.
It was then that the man on the other end said, “That ain't him.”
As the call ended, the suspects again blindfolded the injured victim and placed him in the trunk of the car, before they drove back to Farm Road, St Joseph and left him at the side of the road.