JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Sur­vivor of Crowne Plaza ac­cord:

Someone wants to kill me

by

20090924

Ken­neth Ro­driguez goes by the name of Span­ish. He was one of the "com­mu­ni­ty lead­ers," host­ed by then sports min­is­ter Roger Boynes at Crowne Plaza Ho­tel in 2006, to dis­cuss peace among gangs. Ro­driguez said on Wednes­day that he was not a gang leader, but in the true sense, a "com­mu­ni­ty leader." Now, he is run­ning scared be­cause he says that some­one wants to kill him. Ro­driguez, 36, lives at Beetham Gar­dens. He said he had al­ways been a will­ing part­ner to dis­cuss peace in the Laven­tille, Mor­vant, Beetham and Sea Lots. He de­cid­ed to go with oth­er lead­ers to Crowne Plaza to dis­cuss peace. He said most of the lead­ers who at­tend­ed that meet­ing were dead. These in­clud­ed Ker­win "Fresh" Phillips, Sean "Bill" Fran­cis, and Mervyn "Al­lam­by" Cud­joe.

The fa­ther of two, Ro­driguez said he knew them all. He is aware of what is hap­pen­ing, some­times he as­sists the po­lice in solv­ing crimes, and he says he is not in­volved in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ties. Ro­driguez ad­mit­ted that he had cas­es pend­ing in court, but he had not been con­vict­ed. "I am not in­volved in mur­der and kid­nap­ping and rob­bery," he said. At age 17, Ro­driguez said he was near­ly killed. Dur­ing the 1990 at­tempt­ed coup, he said a po­lice­man, us­ing a shot­gun, shot him in both legs from close range. He said he was un­able to walk for two years be­cause of the wounds. Ro­driguez said he was one per­son from Beetham Gar­dens who want­ed to see things put right. He said just re­cent­ly, a po­lice­man was shot on the Beetham High­way af­ter vis­it­ing the near­by gas sta­tion. He said since that in­ci­dent, life had been hell for him.

"I used to sit on my street and watch every­body go by...Not so since that in­ci­dent," he said. "Since that in­ci­dent, I have to run and hide be­cause the po­lice seem to be tar­get­ing me. I am scared, some­one wants me dead." Ro­driguez said just re­cent­ly, a po­lice­man was in­volved in an ac­ci­dent on the Pri­or­i­ty Bus Route in Laven­tille and some­one stole his ser­vice re­volver. He said: "The place got hot. I made a few calls and I got the gun back. I am al­ways will­ing and able to as­sist the po­lice. Some­times, I get the call and walk in­to the sta­tion to see the po­lice." What prompt­ed him to speak to the me­dia?

Through his at­tor­ney, Wayne Sturge, Ro­driguez qui­et­ly slipped in­to the Hall of Jus­tice, Port-of-Spain, on Wednes­day. He was not pleased that the main wit­ness in the Sam­daye Ram­per­sad mur­der tri­al, called his name. He ad­mit­ted know­ing some of the men charged with that crime. He was al­so as­so­ci­at­ed with Sean Fran­cis, with whom he was work­ing as a sub-con­trac­tor, build­ing hous­es in Beetham Gar­dens for the Hous­ing De­vel­op­ment Cor­po­ra­tion. He con­tin­ues to be a sub-con­trac­tor, and says he has noth­ing to do with crime and drugs. Ro­driguez said he was not fear­ful of crim­i­nals. "I do not get in their way, so there is no need to be fear­ful, but I am fear­ful of the po­lice," he said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored