JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

AROUND THE T&T PRO LEAGUE

Veteran Joseph back with W Connection

by

20100104

Vet­er­an St Lu­cian de­fend­er, Eli­jah Joseph has been re­signed to a long term con­tract by for­mer T&T Pro League cham­pi­on, W Con­nec­tion. This was con­firmed by club own­er David John-Williams in a tele­phone in­ter­view yes­ter­day. The 35-year-old Joseph has been with the Cou­va-based club since its in­tro­duc­tion in­to pro­fes­sion­al foot­ball in T&T ten years ago and was one of four play­ers whose con­tracts ex­pired on De­cem­ber 31 and who were of­fered a new deal. The three oth­ers play­ers who were of­fered new con­tracts and re-signed with the club in­cludes dis­card­ed na­tion­al mid­field­er Ro­mauld Aguillera, Keryn Navar­ro and Brazil­ian de­fend­er Re­na­to Pereira.

Com­ment­ing on the sign­ings, John-Williams said that he was very pleased that the four play­ers who were of­fered new deals had signed again with the club. "All our oth­er play­ers are un­der con­tract un­til the end of the 2010 sea­son in­clud­ing ex­pe­ri­enced play­ers An­drei Pacheco, Clyde Leon, Jan-Michael Williams, Mar­vin Phillip and Jonathan Frias. How­ev­er, John-Williams hint­ed that both Williams and Phillip could be on the move be­fore the start of the sea­son in April. "Both Williams and Phillip are un­der con­tract with us un­til the end of the com­ing sea­son, but there is a pos­si­bil­i­ty that we could see the play­ers go­ing abroad or sign­ing with oth­er clubs," said John-Williams.

The W con­nec­tion boss added that he was al­so anx­ious about left foot­ed de­fend­er Jo­evin Jones, the son of for­mer "Strike Squad" mid­field­er Kelvin Jones. "He (Jones) is on­ly 17 years and has shown a great deal of po­ten­tial and along with the oth­er young play­ers like Ryan Fred­er­ick, Shah­don Win­ches­ter and Hughton Hec­tor we have a lot to look for­ward too." Strik­er An­dre Tou­s­saint who en­joyed a good start to the 2009 sea­son be­fore it was cur­tailed by in­jury was one of four play­ers not of­fered a new deal af­ter his con­tract ex­pired and has since signed with Dig­i­cel Pro League cham­pi­ons, bmo­bile Joe Pub­lic. The oth­er play­ers re­leased by W Con­nec­tion are Brazil­ians, Ig­or San­tos and Williams Sil­va de Oliv­e­ria and mid­field­er Kelvin Mod­este.

Joe Pub­lic tar­gets De Oliv­e­ria

For­mer W Con­nec­tion left back William Sil­va de Oliv­e­ria, who had a brief stint with US Ma­jor League Soc­cer club, Chica­go Fire two sea­sons ago is a tar­get for Dig­i­cel Pro League cham­pi­on Joe Pub­lic. Na­tion­al se­nior team goal­keep­er, Mar­vin Phillip of W Con­nec­tion and Un­der-20 cus­to­di­an Glen­roy Samuel of Unit­ed Petrotrin are al­so said to be tar­gets of "East­ern Li­ons" coach, 29-year-old Derek King who led his club to a his­toric cap­ture of five ti­tles dur­ing the 2009 cam­paign. With Colom­bian goal­keep­er Ale­jan­dro Figueroa mak­ing the switch from Joe Pub­lic, af­ter win­ning five tro­phies in one sea­son to Ma Pau where he will link up with for­mer coach Michael Mc Comie, King is said to be keen to add the duo to his ros­ter.

Ma Pau adds de­fend­er Thomas

Ma Pau has con­clud­ed its off-sea­son sign­ings with the ad­di­tion of for­mer bmo­bile Joe Pub­lic de­fend­er Keyeno Thomas, 32, and the per­ma­nent sign­ings of for­mer loan sign­ings, Kevin Moli­no and Mekeil Williams. The ad­di­tion of the trio which was com­plet­ed yes­ter­day car­ries the num­ber of sign­ings for Ma Pau so far this off-sea­son to nine play­ers. The oth­er signees in­clude Joe Pub­lic duo, Ale­jan­dro Figueroa and Seon Pow­ers along with the for­mer Cli­co San Juan Jabloteh quar­tet of De­von Jamer­son, the son of ex-na­tion­al mid­field­er Ker­ry Jamer­son, El­ton John, Lester "Corn Curls" Pelti­er and Joel Rus­sell.

Reached for com­ment Ma Pau as­sis­tant coach, An­gus Eve boast­ed that the club was de­light­ed to have se­cured the ser­vices of the ex­pe­ri­enced Thomas along with Moli­no and Williams who have all signed long term deals. "Keyeno is a very ex­pe­ri­enced guy, who has rep­re­sent­ed the na­tion­al se­nior team for a long time now and we are sure that he add more qual­i­ty to our team as well as be­ing a men­tor to the younger play­ers." The hard-tack­ling Thomas, was said to be out of con­tract at Joe Pub­lic on De­cem­ber 31 and was of­fered a new deal which he did not ac­cept.

With re­gards to for­mer Cli­co San Juan Jabloteh play­ers and na­tion­al Un­der-20 duo, Moli­no and Williams Eve said their loan sign­ings from the 2009 sea­son have now been made per­ma­nent. Two oth­er key sign­ings for Ma Pau are strik­er An­tho­ny Wolfe and na­tion­al Un­der-20 de­fend­er, Cur­tis Gon­za­les, who have both re­signed with the club on long term deals as well. Ma Pau will kick off its 2010 pre-sea­son train­ing with open tri­als to play­ers hop­ing to se­cure places on the club ju­nior and se­nior team ros­ters on Feb­ru­ary 1.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored