JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Volatile sit­u­a­tion

Pan Trinbago execs vex at Govt, NCC interference

by

20170126

Pan Trin­ba­go is open­ly ac­cus­ing the Gov­ern­ment - via the Min­istry of Com­mu­ni­ty De­vel­op­ment, Cul­ture and the Arts and the Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion - of try­ing a hos­tile takeover of their or­gan­i­sa­tion and oth­er stake­hold­er bod­ies on the eve of Car­ni­val 2017.

Pan Trin­ba­go of­fi­cials made the claim in a press re­lease yes­ter­day, hours af­ter meet­ing to dis­cuss an an­nounce­ment by Min­is­ter Dr Nyan Gads­by-Dol­ly on Wednes­day that Gov­ern­ment plans to con­duct a foren­sic au­dit of the body af­ter Car­ni­val. Pan Trin­ba­go was said to be ow­ing close to 31 mil­lion at the start of the year, ac­cord­ing to NCC pres­i­dent Ken­ny De Sil­va.

In a strong­ly-word­ed re­lease, Pan Trin­ba­go PRO Michael Joseph said the Gov­ern­ment and NCC were "hell bent on usurp­ing the role of Pan Trin­ba­go and the two oth­er ma­jor in­ter­est groups (Trin­ba­go Uni­fied Ca­lyp­so­ni­ans Or­gan­i­sa­tion and the Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Bands As­so­ci­a­tion) in the na­tion­al fes­ti­val and the au­thor­i­ty giv­en to them by acts of Par­lia­ment."

He said they are view­ing "the move by the min­istry and the NCC as a hos­tile takeover of the Car­ni­val in­ter­est groups."

Pan Trin­ba­go gen­er­al sec­re­tary Richard Forteau said re­cent­ly that the Gov­ern­ment had failed to ap­point mem­bers of the three stake­hold­er Car­ni­val bod­ies to the NCC as was re­quired un­der the law.

Yes­ter­day, Joseph said the in­stru­ment and the steel­band move­ment had come a long way over the many years. He said pan­men were once la­belled as "rouges, vagabonds and out­casts" but de­spite that and oth­er strug­gles, the art form had been "nur­tured and de­vel­oped from noth­ing to a po­ten­tial bil­lion dol­lar in­dus­try."

He said the lat­est move by the Dr Kei­th Row­ley ad­min­is­tra­tion was "an in­fringe­ment of the right to en­joy the full­ness of our her­itage in­stru­ment that was carved out of the blood sweat and tears of our pi­o­neers."

Joseph added: "Sud­den­ly to them we are un­able to man­age any­thing and a foren­sic au­dit will be done on Pan Trin­ba­go af­ter the Car­ni­val."

He said Pan Trin­ba­go was "not averse to any au­dit" in­sist­ing that the steel­band body has pro­vid­ed au­dit­ed fi­nan­cial state­ments to the min­istry and NCC over the past 25 years.

Joseph re­peat­ed a state­ment made by Forteau weeks ago that the NCC had not sub­mit­ted an au­dit­ed fi­nan­cial state­ment since 2004, al­leg­ing too it (NCC) was in debt to the tune of over $200 mil­lion.

Gadb­sy-Dol­ly has re­peat­ed­ly ex­pressed con­cern about the man­age­ment of Pan Trin­ba­go by the ex­ec­u­tive, which is be­ing led by pres­i­dent Kei­th Di­az, who is now on leave due to ill­ness.

Joseph said the lat­est de­vel­op­ment could ad­verse­ly af­fect the in­dus­try for years to come and end­ed the state­ment by say­ing: "Thanks in ad­vance for your time­ly in­ter­ven­tion to avert an un­nec­es­sary and volatile sit­u­a­tion."

In re­cent weeks, pan play­ers have been de­mand­ing the im­me­di­ate res­ig­na­tion of the Pan Trin­ba­go ex­ec­u­tive af­ter sev­er­al is­sues of mis­man­age­ment of funds, in­clud­ing for the pur­chase of a lux­u­ry car, and the lack of pay­ment to play­ers were raised.

In fact, the play­ers had threat­ened to boy­cott this year's Panora­ma com­pe­ti­tion but at a spe­cial­ly con­vened meet­ing at City Hall re­cent­ly it was agreed to sus­pend all protest to al­low for the stag­ing of the na­tion­al com­pe­ti­tion.

Con­tact­ed for com­ment last night, how­ev­er, Gads­by-Dol­ly de­nied there was any­thing hos­tile or sin­is­ter in the move.

"Nei­ther the min­istry nor NCC has been hos­tile to­wards Pan Trin­ba­go. No at­tempts have been made to in­ter­vene in the af­fairs in Pan Trin­ba­go oth­er than those which in­volve the ex­pen­di­ture of pub­lic funds," she said.

"As cus­to­di­ans of the pub­lic purse, that is our re­spon­si­bil­i­ty. The tax­pay­ers of this coun­try de­serve noth­ing less. Any or­gan­i­sa­tion re­ceiv­ing pub­lic funds must be sub­ject to rea­son­able lev­els of fi­nan­cial scruti­ny. The present cir­cum­stances sur­round­ing Pan Trin­ba­go make this in­creas­ing­ly clear."

She added, "Far from want­i­ng to take over the or­gan­i­sa­tion, the Gov­ern­ment and the NCC stand ready to sup­port them and the wider pan fra­ter­ni­ty as they un­der­take the in­sti­tu­tion­al strength­en­ing nec­es­sary to de­liv­er on their very crit­i­cal man­date."

Ef­forts to con­tact De Sil­va were un­suc­cess­ful. How­ev­er, in an in­ter­view on CNC3's Morn­ing Brew yes­ter­day, he said he sup­port­ed an au­dit of all Car­ni­val stake­hold­ers fund­ed by Gov­ern­ment.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored