JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

UNC elec­tion pe­ti­tions law­suit

Martineau: EBC was obliged to extend voting time

by

20160709

Lawyers for the Elec­tions and Bound­aries Com­mis­sion say the or­gan­i­sa­tion had no choice but to ex­tend last year's gen­er­al elec­tion by one hour.

So said EBC lawyer, Rus­sell Mar­tineau, SC, as he con­tin­ued to make sub­mis­sions in the tri­al of elec­tion pe­ti­tions filed by the Op­po­si­tion UNC, which is claim­ing that the EBC act­ed il­le­gal­ly in ex­tend­ing the poll on Sep­tem­ber 7 last year.

Cit­ing re­ports from the Me­te­o­ro­log­i­cal Of­fice on that day as well as mul­ti­ple cor­re­spon­dence from rep­re­sen­ta­tives of both po­lit­i­cal par­ties, who com­plained of dif­fi­cul­ties due to heavy rain and sub­se­quent flash flood­ing acrosss Trinidad, Mar­tineau said his client need­ed to take a de­ci­sion to en­sure that cit­i­zens were able to ex­er­cise their de­mo­c­ra­t­ic right.

"It had a du­ty to act and if it didn't then peo­ple would have been dis­fran­chised," Mar­tineau said.

Re­spond­ing to claims from the UNC that the Rep­re­sen­ta­tion of the Peo­ple Act does not give the EBC the pow­er to al­ter the hours of polling, with is with­in the re­mit of Cab­i­net and the Pres­i­dent, Mar­tineau stat­ed that the leg­is­la­tion did not deal specif­i­cal­ly with the is­sue of ex­tend­ing the polls but give the EBC "far reach­ing" pow­ers to man­age the con­duct of elec­tions in T&T.

"It would be ab­surd to say that they act­ed in breach of the law, be­cause they were re­spond­ing to a very se­ri­ous sit­u­a­tion, which was not con­tem­plat­ed be­fore," Mar­tineau said.

Asked by pre­sid­ing judge Mi­ra Dean-Ar­mor­er to ex­plain why the ex­ten­sion was not ex­tend­ed to vot­ers in To­ba­go, Mar­tineau claimed that the EBC re­ceived no com­plaints of ad­verse weath­er con­di­tion there.

Deal­ing with the is­sue raised by the Peo­ple's Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM) over the UNC's abil­i­ty to prove that the elec­tion re­sult ma­te­ri­al­ly was ma­te­ri­al­ly af­fect­ed by the ex­ten­sion, Mar­tineau said he sup­port­ed the PNM's sub­mis­sions on the is­sue ful­ly.

Ear­li­er this week, head of the PNM's le­gal team, Dou­glas Mendes, SC, not­ed that if the votes cast af­ter 6 pm, re­gard­less of the can­di­date cho­sen, were to be sub­tract­ed from the votes ob­tained by PNM can­di­dates, they (the PNM can­di­dates) would have still been suc­cess­ful.

The UNC ini­tial­ly filed pe­ti­tions for six mar­gin­al con­stituen­cies–La Hor­quet­ta/Tal­paro, To­co/ San­gre Grande, Tu­na­puna, St Joseph, San Fer­nan­do West and Moru­ga/Table­land.

In March, how­ev­er, the pe­ti­tion for La Hor­quet­ta/Tal­paro was struck out by Dean-Ar­mor­er due to an ad­min­is­tra­tive er­ror by the UNC in fil­ing it. Be­sides the pe­ti­tions, Dean-Ar­mor­er has al­so been as­signed two cas­es in which three pri­vate cit­i­zens are chal­leng­ing the EBC's de­ci­sion.

So­cial ac­tivist, Ravi Bal­go­b­in Ma­haraj, has filed a ju­di­cial re­view seek­ing the court's clar­i­fi­ca­tion on whether the EBC had the con­sti­tu­tion­al pow­er to make the de­ci­sion and Ir­win Lyne and Melis­sa Syl­van are claim­ing that the EBC breached the con­sti­tu­tion­al rights of To­bag­o­ni­ans by not al­low­ing them an ex­ten­sion.

Both cas­es have been de­ferred as they would be di­rect­ly af­fect­ed by the out­come of Dean-Ar­mor­er's de­ci­sion on the pe­ti­tions. Mar­tineau is ex­pect­ed to com­plete his sub­mis­sions next Mon­day. Dean-Ar­mor­er had promised to de­liv­er her judg­ment in the case in Au­gust.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored