JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Fuad: No Cabinet talks yet on ambassador's remarks

by

20120803

Cab­i­net has not dis­cussed state­ments by am­bas­sador to the UN Therese Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis, Health Min­is­ter Fuad Khan said yes­ter­day. Khan was asked about the is­sue at yes­ter­day's post-Cab­i­net me­dia brief­ing. Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis was crit­i­cised on­line and lo­cal­ly last week for state­ments she made at a Ger­man con­fer­ence, in­clud­ing re­marks on health prac­ti­tion­ers in T&T. Khan said yes­ter­day he could not com­ment on ru­mours that she might be re­placed. Asked about Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis' state­ment that she had "caused chaos in the health sec­tor," Khan said if she did, there was no chaos now and it had im­proved. Asked about her state­ment that she had been re­placed by Khan, whom she had served as cam­paign man­ag­er, Khan said Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis was just one of about 1,000 cam­paign man­agers he'd had. He said the pop­u­la­tion had al­ready pro­nounced on her ut­ter­ances.

Mean­while, Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis was ex­pect­ed at her Gene­va of­fice to­day, a staff mem­ber at the of­fice said yes­ter­day.

Act­ing For­eign Af­fairs Min­is­ter Su­ruj Ram­bachan said on Tues­day that he had been try­ing to con­tact her to no avail and would con­tin­ue try­ing. When the T&T Guardian con­tact­ed her Gene­va of­fice yes­ter­day, an of­fi­cial who on­ly iden­ti­fied her­self as "Eva" said she her­self had been on leave and didn't know if Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis had been in dur­ing the week. She said she ex­pect­ed Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis would be in to­day. The For­eign Af­fairs?Min­istry's com­mu­ni­ca­tion of­fi­cial Lisa Daniel Charles said the Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis mat­ter was be­ing dealt with at min­is­te­r­i­al lev­el. A cell num­ber pur­port­ed­ly for?Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis giv­en to the T&T?Guardian by a UNC mem­ber on Tues­day proved to be in­cor­rect. Yes­ter­day, Daniel-Charles said she had no cell con­tact num­ber for Bap­tiste-Cor­nelis.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored