A Tacarigua man who broke into a masjid (mosque) during the holy month of Ramadan in search of food has been jailed for two years with hard labour. Hafeez Mohammed was jailed when he appeared before acting Deputy Chief?Magistrate Rajendra Rambachan charged with committing the offence on August 8.
He was arrested by Constable Motilal and charged with breaking and entering into a place of divine worship with intent to commit an arrestable offence. Mohammed pleaded guilty last week. His sentence was deferred for court?prosecutor Ramdath Phillip to obtain a criminal record trace.
Phillip presented the trace in the San Fernando First Court yesterday and told Rambachan Mohammed had one conviction in 2000 for impersonating a police officer. He served 40 days hard labour for that offence. Mohammed pleaded for a second chance. He said had a 13 year-old son. He said he was staying at the masjid as a caretaker.
Phillip told the court around 12.10 am on August 8, Motilal and other officers were on patrol when they received information and went to the masjid at Prince Albert?Street, San Fernando where he met the caretaker. The caretaker made a report. Motilal saw Mohammed on the lower part of the building. He approached the man and told him of the report. Mohammed replied: "Boss, ah hungry. Ah wanted something to eat."