JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

T&T contractor to build St Lucia Halls of Justice

by

Anthony Wilson
337 days ago
20240502

Lo­cal con­trac­tor NH last month signed an EC$165 mil­lion (US$61 mil­lion, TT$414 mil­lion) agree­ment with the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia to con­struct Halls of Jus­tice in the is­land’s cap­i­tal, Cas­tries.

The Build Own Lease Trans­fer (BOLT) agree­ment was signed on April 19 at the project’s sod-turn­ing cer­e­mo­ny, which was on the pro­posed con­struc­tion site.

Speak­ing to the Busi­ness Guardian last Thurs­day, NH ex­ec­u­tive chair­man, Emile Elias, said the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia opt­ed for a BOLT to con­struct the Halls of Jus­tice be­cause it is anx­ious not to in­crease the is­land’s debt-to-GDP ra­tio.

“This BOLT, which means that NH is ful­ly fi­nanc­ing the en­tire project, re­quires the gov­ern­ment to pay a quar­ter­ly lease rental that re­flects the cost of the build­ing plus all the trans­ac­tion and bridg­ing-in­ter­est costs for a ful­ly out­fit­ted and equipped build­ings,” said Elias, adding that the base con­struc­tion cost is US$53 mil­lion and the to­tal in­vest­ment cost is US$61 mil­lion.

Fol­low­ing the sign­ing of the BOLT agree­ment on April 19, the NH ex­ec­u­tive chair­man said there are sev­er­al steps to be tak­en be­fore con­struc­tion can start:

• The land on which the build­ings are go­ing to be con­struct­ed has to be leased to the spe­cial pur­pose ve­hi­cle called Themis, which is a whol­ly owned sub­sidiary of NH;

• The lease agree­ment for the land has to be put in­to the se­cu­ri­ty pack­age for the syn­di­cat­ed lenders. NH is cur­rent­ly in dis­cus­sions with Re­pub­lic Bank to speed up that process be­cause St Lu­cian Prime Min­is­ter Philip Pierre has ex­pressed keen in­ter­est in see­ing the com­mence­ment of con­struc­tion with­in the next 60 days, or there­abouts.

Elias said Re­pub­lic Bank is syn­di­cat­ing the en­tire loan of US$61 mil­lion and his com­pa­ny will con­tribute to the syn­di­cat­ed loan.

“Emile Elias and Com­pa­ny is con­tribut­ing to the syn­di­cat­ed loan. When you con­tribute to the syn­di­cat­ed loan, you be­come a lender as well,” said Elias. He said the syn­di­cat­ed loan is pitched at a rate, based on Re­pub­lic’s sound­ing out of the mar­ket to en­sure that there would be an ad­e­quate re­sponse.

“Re­pub­lic Bank is man­ag­ing all of that. I do not know how much they are syn­di­cat­ing and how much they in­tend to keep with­in the bank it­self. That is a mat­ter for the bank,” the vet­er­an con­trac­tor said. Eighty per cent of the loan is be­ing syn­di­cat­ed in East­ern Caribbean (EC) dol­lars and 20 per cent in US dol­lars, said Elias.

“Cur­rent­ly, the fi­nan­cial sys­tem in the East­ern Caribbean is not earn­ing very much in­ter­est in EC dol­lars, so there is a great ap­petite for a bet­ter rate of re­turn, which this syn­di­cat­ed loan will of­fer,” said Elias. “The banks in the East­ern Caribbean have a great deal of ex­cess liq­uid­i­ty and are not get­ting very high rates of in­ter­est. This BOLT loan is go­ing to be an at­trac­tive al­ter­na­tive for them,” he said.

He was wary about re­veal­ing the in­ter­est rate on the syn­di­cat­ed loan, stat­ing that Re­pub­lic Bank still has to ne­go­ti­ate with po­ten­tial bor­row­ers.

The con­struc­tion is ex­pect­ed to take two years on two sites in Cas­tries, which are lo­cat­ed be­tween the cap­i­tal’s Con­sti­tu­tion Park and the Mi­nor Basil­i­ca of the Im­mac­u­late Con­cep­tion (Cathe­dral).

The to­tal foot­print of the con­struc­tion is es­ti­mat­ed to be 3,083 square me­tres (33,193.42 square feet), ac­cord­ing to in­for­ma­tion pro­vid­ed by the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia. The larg­er site, com­pris­ing an es­ti­mat­ed 2,583.51 square me­tres, will be oc­cu­pied by the is­land’s civ­il and fam­i­ly law di­vi­sions, while the small­er 500.25-square-me­tre site will ac­com­mo­date func­tions re­lat­ed to the crim­i­nal court.

Elias said the two new build­ings would con­sol­i­date the de­liv­ery of jus­tice from six lo­ca­tions, for which the St Lu­cian gov­ern­ment is now pay­ing rent.

“The ben­e­fit to the gov­ern­ment is that it would save the rent on the six lo­ca­tions and al­so af­ter 12 years St Lu­cia would own the ju­di­cial com­plex for a nom­i­nal $1 fee. The lease rental is not a re­flec­tion just of in­ter­est, but of amor­tis­ing the cap­i­tal of the loan over 12 years,” said Elias.

About 300 work­ers are ex­pect­ed to be em­ployed on the site, with most of them be­ing St Lu­cian, he said, adding that cer­tain tech­ni­cal el­e­ments of the job would need work­ers from “off­shore” to come in­to the is­land.

“The con­struc­tion of the Halls of Jus­tice is a great ex­port op­por­tu­ni­ty for man­u­fac­tur­ers in Trinidad and To­ba­go. That is be­cause when NH goes off­shore, we use re­sources from T&T, such as PVC pipe, elec­tri­cal sup­plies, air con­di­tion­ing sub­con­trac­tors, el­e­va­tors etcetera,” said Elias.

Most of the equip­ment to be used in the con­struc­tion of the build­ings, such as the tow­er cranes and spe­cialised hoists to move ma­te­ri­als and peo­ple, will have to be brought in­to St Lu­cia. Some St Lu­cian equip­ment might be used for foun­da­tion work and ex­ca­va­tion, he said.

The ar­chi­tects for the project are ACLA Ar­chi­tec­ture, the firm lo­cat­ed at the Fer­nan­des Busi­ness Cen­tre in Laven­tille, whose se­nior di­rec­tor is Gary Tur­ton.

“We se­lect­ed ACLA be­cause they have spe­cialised ex­pe­ri­ence with Halls of Jus­tice. They, in fact, won a com­pe­ti­tion of the East­ern Caribbean Court of Jus­tice, about 15 years ago to de­sign the Halls of Jus­tice for the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia. We had start­ed the process of bid­ding and ne­go­ti­at­ing for the job, but the gov­ern­ment changed and the project died. ACLA had all the records and knew the scope of work and the re­quire­ments of a cour­t­house, so we went straight to them to team up with us. And they have done a great job,” said Elias. ACLA was al­so the ar­chi­tect for the Hall of Jus­tice in Port-of-Spain, in a joint ven­ture with the firm HK­PA (Unit­ed King­dom).

Elias not­ed that the project in St Lu­cia is sim­i­lar to the Min­istry of Health head­quar­ters build­ing. One of the main dif­fer­ences is that the St Lu­cian Halls of Jus­tice will be trans­ferred to the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia af­ter 12 years, com­pared to the 15 years for the Min­istry of Health build­ing lo­cat­ed at Queen’s Park East.

“Be­cause you have com­pressed the pe­ri­od, the lease in­stall­ment would be high­er be­cause the amor­ti­sa­tion is big­ger,” Elias said.

The con­trac­tor ex­plained that with BOLT arrange­ments, there are no-cost over­runs as the agree­ment locks in the cost of con­struc­tion.

“There is no such thing as a cost over­run. It is a lump sum, fixed cost arrange­ment that the con­trac­tor is giv­ing to the spe­cial pur­pose ve­hi­cle and the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia is go­ing to re­ceive its build­ing, ful­ly out­fit­ted, for use af­ter two years. If costs go up, as they may and as hap­pened with the Min­istry of Health build­ing be­cause of the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic, that is en­tire­ly out­side any risk the gov­ern­ment takes. That is the con­trac­tor’s risk,” said Elias.

In a speech at the cer­e­mo­ny, Paul Hi­laire, per­ma­nent sec­re­tary in the Min­istry of Fi­nance and Eco­nom­ic De­vel­op­ment, said, “The due dili­gence ap­plied in se­lect­ing NH as our BOLT part­ner was rig­or­ous.

“Our pri­or­i­ty was to en­gage a part­ner whose val­ues align with our pub­lic ser­vice ethos and who demon­strates a strong track record of de­liv­er­ing high-qual­i­ty in­fra­struc­ture projects on time and with­in bud­get.

“This part­ner­ship is struc­tured to fos­ter trans­paren­cy, risk-shar­ing, and mu­tu­al ac­count­abil­i­ty, en­sur­ing that the Halls of Jus­tice not on­ly meets but ex­ceeds the ex­pec­ta­tions of the peo­ple of St Lu­cia.”

Asked whether there had been any push­back from the Op­po­si­tion in St Lu­cia with re­gard to the award of this BOLT to a T&T com­pa­ny, Elias said, “None so far. But I may say if there is push­back on the po­lit­i­cal side, it would not be that the Gov­ern­ment of St Lu­cia has used a high­ly qual­i­fied firm to do it. There are no con­struc­tion or fi­nanc­ing re­sources with­in St Lu­cia to car­ry out this size of BOLT.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored