JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Re­gion­al fight­ers can in­fil­trate west­ern bor­ders – crim­i­nol­o­gist

ISIS pursuing Trini foothold

by

20151115

Crim­i­nol­o­gist Dau­rius Figueira is warn­ing that T&T Mus­lims re­cruit­ed by ISIS could be used to in­fil­trate and desta­bilise west­ern coun­tries, in­clud­ing those in Eu­rope cop­ing with an in­flux of refugees.

Ex­act­ly one week af­ter ISIS re­leased a video fea­tur­ing four Trinidad-born fight­ers urg­ing T&T mus­lims to take up arms to fight in Syr­ia, the ter­ror­ist or­gan­i­sa­tion is claim­ing re­spon­si­bil­i­ty for the Paris at­tacks that killed well over a hun­dred peo­ple, say­ing that the at­tacks were in re­tal­i­a­tion for France's bomb­ing in Syr­ia.

Speak­ing to the Sun­day Guardian Figueira said: "There is a pur­pose to the video. Why pro­duce a re­cruit­ment video on­ly for T&T, giv­en the com­par­a­tive­ly small size of the Mus­lim pop­u­la­tion here. It ac­counts for on­ly about five per cent of the pop­u­la­tion?

"The peo­ple be­hind the Al Raqqa re­cruit­ment video are now send­ing a mes­sage specif­i­cal­ly to Mus­lims in T&T that there is a T&T con­tin­gent of fight­ers now in ISIS, trained and led by na­tion­als of T&T.

"The Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty must in­ves­ti­gate that: The for­ma­tion of a T&T ISIS con­tin­gent, the mes­sage they want to send and why they want to re­cruit third world peo­ple whose first lan­guage is Eng­lish."

He said the on­ly oth­er pro­mo­tion­al re­lease to date in Eng­lish had British Is­lam­ic State fight­ers in it.

Figueira said Cari­com na­tion­als, Trinida­di­ans and peo­ple from the Com­mon­wealth who spoke Eng­lish and were ed­u­cat­ed can be used by ISIS to take the fight on the home soil of first-world coun­tries such as Britain and the US.

T&T and eight oth­er Caribbean coun­tries en­joy visa-free trav­el to Eu­rope.

He said the state agen­cies of the pre­vi­ous gov­ern­ment had failed to pen­e­trate and dis­man­tle these struc­tures and the IS video was in fact taunt­ing the state agen­cies of T&T on their fail­ure.

He said those fight­ers pre­sent­ed in the IS video will not re­turn to T&T ex­cept if they want­ed to es­cape IS for some rea­son.

Figueira said the ma­jor is­sue for T&T was re­cruit­ment here and the ex­port of po­ten­tial fight­ers to IS.

Ac­cord­ing to for­mer Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Gary Grif­fith, about 30 T&T na­tion­als made the trip to Syr­ia to fight for ISIS last year.

The Unit­ed Na­tions had al­so warned that T&T is one of a num­ber of coun­tries with Mus­lim pop­u­la­tions that is be­ing used as a re­cruit­ing ground for the ter­ror group.

Cy­ber hack­ers linked to the Is­lamist or­gan­i­sa­tion at­tacked the gov­ern­ment com­put­ers of Ja­maica and St Vin­cent and the Grenadines.

For­mer Ex­ec­u­tive Di­rec­tor of the Na­tion­al Op­er­a­tions Cen­tre (NOC) Garvin Heer­ah told the Sun­day Guardian that the de­tails that had sur­faced in the vi­ral videos were alarm­ing.

He said the video and in­for­ma­tion ob­tained through in­ter­net sur­veil­lance con­tin­ued to en­gage the at­ten­tion of na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty.

Heer­ah there is con­ti­nu­ity be­tween the last Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty ad­min­is­tra­tion, and the cur­rent one led by Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Ed­mund Dil­lon.

Heer­ah said the prob­a­bil­i­ty that that the ji­hadist re­cruits could re­turn to T&T should not be dis­missed, and all the arms of se­cu­ri­ty and law en­force­ment, here and abroad, must work to­geth­er.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored