JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

AG calls in DPP for meeting this week

by

Rhondor Dowlat
754 days ago
20230312

RHON­DOR DOWLAT

The At­tor­ney Gen­er­al has called on Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions (DPP) Roger Gas­pard, SC, to at­tend a meet­ing ear­ly this week to dis­cuss the is­sue over the $45 mil­lion spent on the of­fice of the DPP that Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley raised last week as well as ad­dress oth­er mat­ters.

Sun­day Guardian was re­li­ably in­formed that At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Regi­nald Ar­mour will meet with Gas­pard on Wednes­day at 9 am to get to the bot­tom of is­sues sur­round­ing the build­ing which has been sourced to house the DPP’s of­fice at the cor­ner of Park and Hen­ry streets but re­mains un­oc­cu­pied af­ter close to three years. The DPP’s of­fice is al­so faced with grave staff short­ages which could lead to a col­lapse of the crim­i­nal jus­tice sys­tem.

PM Row­ley had dis­closed at a Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM) pub­lic meet­ing in Barataria on Thurs­day night that the build­ing was com­plet­ed but not “a foot stepped in­to the struc­ture.” In 2019 the build­ing was re­port­ed­ly giv­en to for­mer at­tor­ney gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi by Nid­co and hand­ed over for oc­cu­pa­tion by the DPP’s of­fice. The PM ac­cused the DPP’s of­fice of wast­ing tax­pay­ers’ mon­ey with de­mands for se­cu­ri­ty mea­sures–bul­let­proof glass and oth­er ad­di­tions–at the build­ing. The Gov­ern­ment has been giv­en a three-year con­tract for the build­ing and has been pay­ing mil­lions of dol­lars in rent for the un­oc­cu­pied prop­er­ty. The PM said apart from throw­ing mon­ey away in rent, ef­forts to out­fit the build­ing al­so went down the drain.  

In 2014, the for­mer Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar-led Peo­ple’s Part­ner­ship gov­ern­ment had cho­sen the Park Street build­ing, up­on the re­quest of the DPP. The DPP had agreed to move in­to the build­ing “sub­ject to se­cu­ri­ty vet­ting,” the Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress (UNC) said yes­ter­day.

Ac­cord­ing to an Ex­press re­port, the DPP was al­leged­ly ad­vised that the build­ing was un­fit for oc­cu­pan­cy by a spe­cial branch of­fi­cer be­cause it was not bul­let­proofed and the lives of the DPP and his staff could be at risk once there.

 The DPP’s of­fice is cur­rent­ly housed at Win­sure Build­ing, Rich­mond Street, Port-of-Spain.

The proposed DPP’s office at the corner of Henry and Park streets, Port-of-Spain, which has remained unoccupied.

The proposed DPP’s office at the corner of Henry and Park streets, Port-of-Spain, which has remained unoccupied.

ROBERTO CODALLO

Rift brew­ing be­tween PM, DPP’s of­fice

Is­sues about the DPP’s of­fice and a seem­ing rift be­tween the of­fice and the PM came up last week af­ter the dis­con­tin­u­a­tion of one of the cor­rup­tion cas­es re­lat­ing to the Pi­ar­co In­ter­na­tion­al Air­port de­vel­op­ment project.  

The Pi­ar­co 3 case per­tained to a £25,000 bribe al­leged­ly re­ceived by for­mer prime min­is­ter Bas­deo Pan­day, and his wife, Oma Pan­day, and al­leged­ly paid by for­mer Cab­i­net min­is­ter Car­los John and busi­ness­man Ish­war Gal­barans­ingh as an al­leged in­duce­ment in re­la­tion to the air­port project.

Af­ter spend­ing al­most two decades be­fore the courts, Pan­day, his wife, John and  Gal­barans­ingh have been freed of cor­rup­tion charges re­lat­ed to the con­struc­tion of the Pi­ar­co In­ter­na­tion­al Air­port.

Ap­pear­ing be­fore Mag­is­trate Adia Mo­hammed in the Port-of-Spain Mag­is­trates’ Court last week, Gas­pard an­nounced his de­ci­sion to dis­con­tin­ue the charges against the group. Gas­pard said that his de­ci­sion was based on the low prob­a­bil­i­ty of his of­fice se­cur­ing con­vic­tions in the case.

He ex­plained that sev­er­al key wit­ness­es had died since the group was charged in 2006 and one main wit­ness is now el­der­ly and lives abroad. He al­so not­ed that the ac­cused had a “fair ar­gu­ment” that they faced “pre­sumed, pre­sump­tive and spe­cif­ic” prej­u­dice in the case.

The case against the group was one of four re­lat­ed to the air­port project ini­ti­at­ed fol­low­ing an in­ves­ti­ga­tion by Cana­di­an foren­sic ex­pert Robert Lindquist.

Fol­low­ing this, Gas­pard, in a ra­dio in­ter­view last week, warned of a col­lapse of the crim­i­nal jus­tice sys­tem due to se­vere staff short­ages at his of­fice. He said there was a need for ap­prox­i­mate­ly 129 at­tor­neys, but cur­rent­ly, there are 58 pros­e­cu­tors.

In an­oth­er ma­jor case in Oc­to­ber 2022, Gas­pard dis­con­tin­ued cor­rup­tion charges against for­mer at­tor­ney gen­er­al Anand Ram­lo­gan, SC, and at­tor­ney Ger­ald Ramdeen. Gas­pard had an­nounced his de­ci­sion dur­ing a sta­tus hear­ing of the duo’s case be­fore Chief Mag­is­trate Maria Bus­by-Ear­le-Cad­dle.

He ex­plained that his de­ci­sion was based on the re­fusal of the State’s main wit­ness in the case, King’s Coun­sel Vin­cent Nel­son, to tes­ti­fy be­fore the de­ter­mi­na­tion of his civ­il law­suit over an in­dem­ni­ty agree­ment with for­mer at­tor­ney gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi.

In the law­suit, Nel­son claimed that the agree­ment was giv­en to him be­fore he agreed to im­pli­cate the duo and was sub­se­quent­ly breached.

Gas­pard stat­ed it would not be fair to have the duo “in lim­bo” while Nel­son is pur­su­ing his lit­i­ga­tion and not­ed that the charges may be re­in­stat­ed once it is com­plet­ed.

On May 2, 2019, Nel­son, Ram­lo­gan, and Ramdeen were slapped with three cor­rup­tion charges.

The trio was ac­cused of con­spir­ing to­geth­er to re­ceive, con­ceal and trans­fer crim­i­nal prop­er­ty name­ly the re­wards giv­en to Ram­lo­gan by Nel­son for be­ing ap­point­ed to rep­re­sent the State in sev­er­al cas­es; of con­spir­ing to­geth­er to cor­rupt­ly give Ram­lo­gan a per­cent­age of the funds, and of con­spir­ing with to make Ram­lo­gan mis­be­have in pub­lic of­fice by re­ceiv­ing the funds.

It was lat­er re­vealed that Nel­son had en­tered in­to a plea agree­ment with the DPP’s Of­fice in ex­change for his tes­ti­mo­ny against Ram­lo­gan and Ramdeen.

Mean­while, the Op­po­si­tion UNC slammed Row­ley for what they called an at­tack on the of­fice of the DPP. UNC Sen­a­tor Wade Mark claimed the PM’s “bit­ter­ness” to­ward Gas­pard had noth­ing to do with an emp­ty build­ing but rather his de­ci­sion to dis­con­tin­ue one of the Pi­ar­co cas­es.

The UNC ques­tioned whether the PM was try­ing to frus­trate the DPP out of of­fice as he chose a po­lit­i­cal plat­form to make his state­ment.

Sources in the le­gal fra­ter­ni­ty said the mo­tives are “po­lit­i­cal” as “the Gov­ern­ment is not look­ing good as these mat­ters are thrown out, mean­ing if there are no con­vic­tions for the State it will be like egg on the PM’s face” as the mat­ters in­volve peo­ple con­nect­ed to the UNC.

President of the Law Association of T&T Sophia Chote

President of the Law Association of T&T Sophia Chote

Se­cu­ri­ty con­cerns for pros­e­cu­tors an on­go­ing con­cern–Sophia Chote

Pres­i­dent of the Law As­so­ci­a­tion Sophia Chote yes­ter­day ex­plained that se­cu­ri­ty con­cerns for pros­e­cu­tors are “a live and on­go­ing con­cern.”

“Let us not for­get that Dana See­ta­hal, SC, was in the mid­dle of the pros­e­cu­tion of a no­to­ri­ous case when she was killed. I am not aware what has been put in place for the se­cu­ri­ty of pros­e­cu­tors gen­er­al­ly apart from the oc­ca­sion­al as­sign­ment of Spe­cial Branch of­fi­cers,” Chote said.

“The rec­om­men­da­tion for bul­let­proof glass was made to the best of my rec­ol­lec­tion by the TTPS or their ad­vis­ers for the pro­posed of­fices of the DPP. I am shocked, to say the least, that af­ter the pas­sage of sev­er­al years, this mat­ter and oth­er mat­ters per­tain­ing to the se­cu­ri­ty of pros­e­cu­tors re­main un­re­solved.”

 Israel Khan, SC

Israel Khan, SC

NICOLE DRAYTON

Cab­i­net, CJ, must ex­plain–Is­rael Khan, SC

Crim­i­nal Bar As­so­ci­a­tion Pres­i­dent Is­rael Khan, SC, mean­while, said that cer­tain­ly “the crim­i­nal jus­tice sys­tem is on the brink of col­lapse,” and ques­tioned whether the de­te­ri­o­rat­ing sit­u­a­tion at the DPP’s of­fice was an ul­te­ri­or mo­tive to bring Gas­pard to his knees.

Con­cern­ing the new of­fice for the DPP, Khan said that the DPP ought to ex­plain why he did not oc­cu­py that build­ing af­ter $45 mil­lion was spent on rent and ren­o­va­tions.

He said the Ju­di­cial and Le­gal Ser­vice Com­mis­sion un­der the Chief Jus­tice and the Cab­i­net al­so need to ex­plain the sit­u­a­tion with the de­ple­tion of lawyers and “why they are not pay­ing at­ten­tion to this as­pect of fur­nish­ing the DPP with the nec­es­sary staff be­cause the crim­i­nals are get­ting the im­pres­sion that even if they are charged there would be no pros­e­cu­tion.”

Khan said in 2014 un­der the Peo­ple’s Part­ner­ship gov­ern­ment they agreed to have 114 lawyers at­tached to the DPP. This, how­ev­er, has not been achieved.

 “You can­not in­crease the courts and give mil­lions of dol­lars and in­crease the bud­get to han­dle the po­lice in mak­ing of his in­ves­ti­ga­tions and peo­ple be­ing charged, and they don’t have the nec­es­sary lawyers in the of­fice to pros­e­cute.

“So, the Prime Min­is­ter and the Cab­i­net must give ex­pla­na­tions as to why the lawyers are not there. They have to give an ex­pla­na­tion. Is it an ul­te­ri­or mo­tive to bring the DPP to his knees or are they spin­ning top in mud?”

DPPAttorney General Reginald Armour


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored