JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Bandleaders troubled by low Sando turnout

by

Jesse Ramdeo
772 days ago
20230221

Car­ni­val Tues­day told the tale of two cities, one where the na­tion’s cap­i­tal brimmed with peo­ple, colours, rev­el­ry and splen­dour, while San Fer­nan­do paled in com­par­i­son.

Short­ly af­ter mid­day, while sev­er­al ma­jor mas bands had al­ready crossed var­i­ous judg­ing points in Port-of-Spain, mas­quer­aders in the south­ern city be­gan chip­ping in­to their as­sem­bly po­si­tion while mu­sic trucks blast­ed Road March con­tenders Bun­ji Gar­lin’s Hard Fete, Nailah Black­man and Skin­ny Fab­u­lous’ Come Home and Shake the Place from Machel Mon­tano and De­stra Gar­cia.

As the blaz­ing sun warmed up mas­quer­aders, band lead­ers told Guardian Me­dia Car­ni­val in San Fer­nan­do was in ur­gent need of at­ten­tion from the au­thor­i­ties, as its fu­ture seemed to be fad­ing.

Kalicha­ran Mas band­leader Ayana Kalicha­ran said it was time Gov­ern­ment place fo­cus on San Fer­nan­do too.

“They have to do a lot to pump and boost San Fer­nan­do Car­ni­val,” Kalicha­ran said.

“We are try­ing as band­lead­ers but the Gov­ern­ment needs to fo­cus on San Fer­nan­do Car­ni­val, all the en­er­gy, every­thing is pushed in­to Port-of-Spain Car­ni­val. There is no ac­tiv­i­ty, you are dri­ving through the streets, there are no ban­ners, no fly­ers, there is no feel of the at­ten­tion on San Fer­nan­do.”

Kalicha­ran said while her fam­i­ly’s band was thrilled to be back on the road fol­low­ing two years of in­ac­tiv­i­ty due to the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic, there were chal­lenges.

“A ma­jor chal­lenge was with peo­ple and their salaries, be­cause re­mem­ber they have not yet re­ceived their Feb­ru­ary salary so they asked us to do pay­ment plans and we did. An­oth­er ma­jor chal­lenge was the ad­min­is­tra­tive process to get things on the road, per­mits, pass­es for the trucks, as you know we had a prob­lem with the li­cens­ing of trucks so that de­layed us a lot.”

She said a ma­jor take away from this year’s cel­e­bra­tions was the need to plan ear­li­er, adding work for Car­ni­val 2024 will be­gin from as ear­ly as next week.

Jages­sar mas band­leader Rose­marie Ku­ru Jages­sar mean­while said she no longer knew what it would took to bring back mas in San Fer­nan­do.

“You can see for your­self who is on the road to look at us? But we love mas so we here. I don’t know what to do again, we try all kind of thing, we try every­thing we could, we change the cos­tume, we made them skimpy for the young ones, we did all we could have done but yet it hasn’t changed, I mean af­ter 45 years I don’t know what to do again,” she said.

The band por­trays icon­ic In­di­an mas cos­tumes, a sta­ple of her late hus­band, leg­endary mas­man Li­onel Jages­sar, who passed away last year.

David Ti­boo, a spec­ta­tor along Cipero Street, said it was heart-break­ing to wit­ness the de­cline of San Fer­nan­do Car­ni­val.

“See­ing how every­thing was be­ing hyped as the Moth­er of all Car­ni­vals, I came home think­ing every­thing would have changed, ex­pect­ing to see a steady flow of mas and noth­ing has changed and I think it’s get­ting pro­gres­sive­ly worse, as every year I come home for Car­ni­val and it’s like I’m see­ing less mas and pro­duc­tiv­i­ty.”

How­ev­er, San Fer­nan­do May­or Ju­nia Re­grel­lo and Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion chair­man Win­ston “Gyp­sy” Pe­ters con­tend­ed that Car­ni­val was far from fin­ished in the south­ern city and that the num­bers did not nec­es­sar­i­ly re­flect a cause for con­cern.

“How can it be dead and your band is 3,000-4,000 strong and your band sold out. I don’t know where that in­for­ma­tion is com­ing from, it may just be pro­pa­gan­da to raise con­tro­ver­sy,” Pe­ters told Guardian Me­dia.

“I just see a set of liv­ing peo­ple pass, I ent see Bel­grove be­hind them or Dass fu­ner­al home...I see­ing peo­ple, lots of them.”

Pe­ters al­so ac­knowl­edged the ben­e­fits to a south­ern Car­ni­val.

“I want to tell you how for­tu­nate you all are to have this kind of hub to have al­most a free­way with big wide streets to have Car­ni­val in San Fer­nan­do, oth­er than what it used to be be­fore. I grew up in San Fer­nan­do, I am a south boy and you know I pre­fer this and you have a planned place where you can have all your mas. I wish this was in Port-of-Spain.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored