JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

‘Burkie’ backlash scars Govt’s image

by

2648 days ago
20180103

A Cab­i­net reshuf­fle, health is­sues af­fect­ing two min­is­ters, an ap­par­ent diplo­mat­ic snub and leg­isla­tive stand-offs were among the ma­jor po­lit­i­cal de­vel­op­ments for 2017.

Dur­ing the year two gov­ern­ment min­is­ters fell ill—one is back on the job, while the oth­er re­mains hos­pi­talised abroad.

As 2016 gave way to 2017, there was the news that En­er­gy Min­is­ter Franklin Khan had fall­en ill while on va­ca­tion and would have heart surgery. Khan un­der­went triple by-pass surgery on Jan­u­ary 8 and Khan and re­mained off the job for more than three months un­til ear­ly April.

In Sep­tem­ber, Pub­lic Ad­min­is­tra­tion and Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Min­is­ter Max­ie Cuffie suf­fered a stroke and was ad­mit­ted to the in­ten­sive care unit at the St Clair Med­ical Cen­tre in Port-of-Spain.

Cuffie, who is al­so the La Hor­quet­ta/Tal­paro MP, was even­tu­al­ly trans­ferred to a med­ical in­sti­tu­tion in Wash­ing­ton DC in the Unit­ed States for re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion where he re­mains. Rel­a­tives said his con­di­tion has im­proved sig­nif­i­cant­ly.

In oth­er health-re­lat­ed de­vel­op­ments, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley re­turned to a med­ical cen­tre in Cal­i­for­nia, Unit­ed States, for a med­ical check-up which was a fol­low up to a vis­it made in Au­gust 2016 when he was giv­en a “good re­port” by doc­tors.

One of the po­lit­i­cal con­tro­ver­sies of the year be­gan in late June when Port-of-Spain South MP Mar­lene Mc­Don­ald, who had been fired from the Cab­i­net by Row­ley in March 2016, was sworn-in as the new Min­is­ter of Pub­lic Util­i­ties. She was giv­en the port­fo­lio af­ter Row­ley ad­vised Pres­i­dent An­tho­ny Car­mona to re­voke the ap­point­ment of Fitzger­ald Hinds who was re­as­signed as Min­is­ter in the Min­istry of the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al and Le­gal Af­fairs.

How­ev­er, Mc­Don­ald’s re­turn was short-lived. Three days af­ter she took the min­is­te­r­i­al oath, Pres­i­dent Car­mona was ad­vised to re­voke her ap­point­ment “with im­me­di­ate ef­fect.” It had to do with one of her guests at the swear­ing-in cer­e­mo­ny at Pres­i­dent’s House, Cedric “Burkie” Burke.

It lat­er emerged that the well-known Sea Lots res­i­dent, who was de­tained dur­ing the 2011 state of emer­gency and charged with be­ing a gang leader, had been one of two last-minute in­vi­tees to the func­tion. Sources at Pres­i­dent’s House con­firmed that Mc­Don­ald asked for two ex­tra in­vi­ta­tions to the cer­e­mo­ny but didn’t give names. When Burke ar­rived he was made to wait un­til Mc­Don­ald’s ar­rival when he was ush­ered up­stairs with oth­er guests.

Row­ley sub­se­quent­ly called Mc­Don­ald to a meet­ing at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre where she was in­formed that her min­is­te­r­i­al ap­point­ment was be­ing re­voked. Mc­Don­ald re­mains on the back bench in Par­lia­ment but re­mains ac­tive with­in the rul­ing PNM.

Row­ley held the pub­lic util­i­ties port­fo­lio for more than a month be­fore ap­point­ing banker Robert Le Hunte. He took the oath on Au­gust 24 but his ap­point­ment was briefly re­voked when it was dis­cov­ered that he had dual cit­i­zen­ship in Ghana. Late on In­de­pen­dence Day Le Hunte took the oath again.

Diplo­mat­ic ad­vances
and fall­outs

New­ly-in­stalled Unit­ed States Pres­i­dent Don­ald Trump called Row­ley on Feb­ru­ary 19 to dis­cuss what the White House said was “co-op­er­a­tion on shared pri­or­i­ties.” A brief para­graph on the White House web­site said the two lead­ers “reaf­firmed the strong se­cu­ri­ty part­ner­ship and agreed to con­tin­ue close co-or­di­na­tion in the fight against ter­ror­ism and transna­tion­al or­gan­ised crime.

Pres­i­dent Trump in­vit­ed Row­ley to vis­it Wash­ing­ton, DC. How­ev­er, that vis­it had not ma­te­ri­alised by year end.

An­oth­er vis­it that failed to take place fol­lowed an an­nounce­ment in ear­ly No­vem­ber by Min­is­ter in the Of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter Stu­art Young that Row­ley had been in­vit­ed to Chi­na to at­tend a Com­mu­nist Par­ty of Chi­na with World Po­lit­i­cal Par­ties High-Lev­el Meet­ing.

A week lat­er came word that the in­vi­ta­tion to the high-lev­el meet­ing was be­ing re­placed with an of­fi­cial vis­it to Chi­na in 2018. This prompt­ed the coun­try’s longest-serv­ing diplo­mat, re­tired head of the pub­lic ser­vice Regi­nald Du­mas, to re­mark that it was “high­ly un­usu­al” for Chi­na to with­draw an in­vi­ta­tion to a for­eign leader.

n Con­tin­ues on Page A9

Du­mas said: “Is it that there was no in­vi­ta­tion? Is it that some­thing was be­ing con­sid­ered? I don’t know, we will prob­a­bly nev­er get to the truth of the mat­ter be­cause the Chi­nese aren’t go­ing to say any­thing, of course. But it is high­ly un­usu­al and it does rep­re­sent on the face of it a snub.”

Ques­tions were al­so raised by for­mer Min­is­ter in the Min­istry of Fi­nance Mar­i­ano Browne who al­so felt it was a diplo­mat­ic snub.

The is­sue erupt­ed in­to a war of words with Young lash­ing out at Du­mas and Browne say­ing they should not com­ment on mat­ters about which they do not have all the facts.

Al­most si­mul­ta­ne­ous­ly came the an­nounce­ment that PNM ac­tivist Make­da An­toine was be­ing ap­point­ed to the top diplo­mat­ic post of Am­bas­sador to the Unit­ed Na­tions in Gene­va, Switzer­land.

Du­mas crit­i­cised the ap­point­ment say­ing he did not be­lieve An­toine had the ex­pe­ri­ence to head such an im­por­tant mis­sion.

Leg­isla­tive spar­ring in the House

On the leg­isla­tive front, Gov­ern­ment and the Op­po­si­tion trad­ed words over the For­eign Ac­counts Tax Com­pli­ance Act (Fat­ca), a mat­ter which had been on the agen­da from late 2016. The bank­ing sec­tor plead­ed with Par­lia­ment to pass the leg­is­la­tion.

The leg­is­la­tion en­ables lo­cal fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tions to re­port to the US In­ter­nal Rev­enue Ser­vice (IRS) on ac­counts held by US clients via the Board of In­land Rev­enue and is part of US tax eva­sion law.

The is­sue came in­to the spot­light af­ter the Bankers As­so­ci­a­tion of T&T (BATT) and oth­er groups be­gan warn­ing of pos­si­ble neg­a­tive con­se­quences for the coun­try if the leg­is­la­tion wasn’t passed with­in a spec­i­fied time frame. Sig­nals from the Op­po­si­tion that it was not pre­pared to sup­port the Bill, which re­quired a spe­cial ma­jor­i­ty, added to weeks of ten­sion, char­ac­terised by dire warn­ings of loss­es and eco­nom­ic fall out if T&T failed to be­come Fat­ca com­plaint.

Even­tu­al­ly, af­ter much po­lit­i­cal spar­ring, the leg­is­la­tion was passed unan­i­mous­ly in the House of Rep­re­sen­ta­tives on Feb­ru­ary 23, with all 39 MPs present on that day vot­ing in favour of the amend­ed Bill. It was al­so passed in the Sen­ate with 29 in favour, none against and one ab­sten­tion.

The sec­ond leg­isla­tive stand-off oc­curred late in the year when At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Faris al-Rawi tabled the An­ti Gang Bill in Par­lia­ment.

In an­nounc­ing plans to de­bate the Bill, the AG quot­ed fig­ures from the Or­gan­ised Crime In­tel­li­gence Unit (OCIU) which showed there were close to 2,459 sus­pect­ed gang mem­bers across the coun­try. How­ev­er, the Op­po­si­tion re­fused to sup­port the mea­sure and when a vote was tak­en on De­cem­ber 7, the Bill failed to get the re­quired three-fifths ma­jor­i­ty.

Op­po­si­tion Leader Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar blamed the de­feat of the Bill on Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley, claim­ing it was due to his re­sis­tance to their rec­om­men­da­tions on a sun­set clause. The leg­is­la­tion can­not re­turn to Par­lia­ment for six months.

Of emails and Email­gate

To­ward the end of the year, a state­ment by act­ing Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Stephen Williams that Email­gate al­le­ga­tions raised years ear­li­er had been found to be of “very lit­tle of sub­stance,” led to calls by the Op­po­si­tion for Row­ley’s res­ig­na­tion.

An­oth­er con­tro­ver­sy that was still brew­ing at year’s end had to do with a threat of le­gal ac­tion over al­le­ga­tions by Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Mooni­lal. Mooni­lal read in­to Hansard an email link­ing pay­ments of the $80 mil­lion in­volved in the so-called fake oil scan­dal at Petrotrin in­volv­ing A&V Drilling to “the spouse of a high-rank­ing gov­ern­ment of­fi­cial.”

As he read the con­tents of the email with de­tails of a for­eign bank ac­count, the AG in­ter­vened de­clar­ing that Mooni­lal had made a “di­rect in­dict­ment on the Prime Min­is­ter.”

Mooni­lal re­luc­tant­ly with­drew the state­ment.

Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley has since in­struct­ed his at­tor­neys to pur­sue le­gal ac­tion against per­sons who had pub­lished the “false and ma­li­cious” state­ments made in the Par­lia­ment by Mooni­lal.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored