JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Colin Lucas: Virtual Carnival could be NCC's lifeline

by

Shaliza Hassanali & Anna-Lisa Paul
1644 days ago
20201003

The Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion (NCC) start­ed look­ing at the pos­si­bil­i­ty of host­ing Car­ni­val 2021 vir­tu­al­ly even be­fore Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley an­nounced the can­cel­la­tion of the event.

NCC’s CEO Col­in Lu­cas told Guardian Me­dia in an in­ter­view on Wednes­day that they could not ig­nore the rip­pling ef­fects of the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic and so start­ed plan­ning ear­li­er.

Lu­cas said stag­ing T&T’s first vir­tu­al Car­ni­val across the globe could come as a life­line for the com­mis­sion, which had been un­able to make a prof­it in the past sev­er­al years.

He said NCC does not make a prof­it from Car­ni­val, de­spite the mil­lions usu­al­ly in­vest­ed in it. For this year’s Car­ni­val, NCC was al­lo­cat­ed $165 mil­lion.

“NCC puts out the mon­ey. The coun­try makes mon­ey through in­vest­ments. But in a vir­tu­al frame­work, NCC stands to make a lot more mon­ey be­cause you have a lot of stream­ing rights.”

One op­tion of bring­ing the Car­ni­val vir­tu­al­ly to the world was through pay-per-view, Lu­cas said. But he added that a lot of thought will have to go in­to the mar­ket­ing of such an event in or­der to reach the de­sired au­di­ence.

“So, we had been hav­ing dis­cus­sions with some of the stake­hold­ers. We even had a cou­ple of pre­lim­i­nary dis­cus­sions with peo­ple in­volv­ing the (vir­tu­al) tech­nol­o­gy so it would not be a dif­fi­cult ramp up if and when we de­cide vir­tu­al is it.”

The NCC CEO said they had a team work­ing on a vir­tu­al pro­gramme which has al­ready been sub­mit­ted to its board. “Once we get the ac­quired ap­provals, we will go for­ward and nail down the con­fig­u­ra­tion of each of the shows.” By mid-Oc­to­ber, Lu­cas said, NCC should know which di­rec­tion it in­tends to take.

Asked how much rev­enue and for­eign ex­change NCC could gen­er­ate from this vir­tu­al Car­ni­val, Lu­cas said they had not looked at the fig­ures in any great de­tail. “This has been ex­plorato­ry so far. It’s one thing of hav­ing a Car­ni­val to show off your­self. It is quite an­oth­er thing mar­ket­ing and pre­sent­ing an in­ter­na­tion­al show that can earn for­eign ex­change be­yond peo­ple com­ing here and spend­ing mon­ey.”

He al­so did not say how much it would cost to put the vir­tu­al show to­geth­er.

“We have sub­mit­ted some­thing to the board, and some­thing is be­ing con­sid­ered at a min­is­te­r­i­al lev­el," he added.

'Nev­er waste a good cri­sis'

Claim­ing the pan­dem­ic could be a bless­ing in dis­guise for the NCC, Lu­cas said their biggest chal­lenge in host­ing a vir­tu­al event would be to en­sure the cor­rect mix of cur­rent and his­tor­i­cal im­agery and pro­gram­ming are promi­nent­ly fea­tured.

He said al­though it had been easy for some coun­tries to host vir­tu­al shows and pa­rades, it is more com­plex to prop­er­ly rep­re­sent T&T’s Car­ni­val which has his­tor­i­cal and cul­tur­al sig­nif­i­cance.

Lu­cas said the cur­rent chal­lenge in­clud­ed the fact that peo­ple can­not gath­er in groups of more than ten. He ques­tioned how can one vir­tu­al­ly pro­duce a Panora­ma, Di­manche Gras or Pa­rade of the Bands with ten or less peo­ple present.

The NCC CEO said the bet­ter rep­re­sen­ta­tion would be to high­light as­pects of Panora­ma 2018, 2019 and 2020, than put ten steel­pan play­ers in a room to stream on­line.

“So, what­ev­er we do to rep­re­sent it we need to be clear that this is a taste…it is not the re­al thing. As great as we want it to look, we would do all with­in our pow­er to be con­cep­tu­al­ly and elec­tron­i­cal­ly sound.”

Lu­cas said the end prod­uct must be a good and com­pre­hen­sive pack­age to at­tract the eyes of the world.

T&T’s first COVID-19 case was record­ed in mid-March and the virus has since claimed more than 75 lives, with over 4,500 peo­ple be­ing test­ed pos­i­tive.

Lu­cas said, “It’s a sour taste, it’s not of our do­ing, but it has to be of our un­do­ing.”

At the end of the vir­tu­al Car­ni­val, Lu­cas is hop­ing peo­ple far and wide would ex­pe­ri­ence T&T’s unique cul­ture and food, as well as wit­ness the great­est show on earth from the com­fort of their cho­sen lo­ca­tion.

“We have five months to pre­pare if we are go­ing with the stan­dard Feb­ru­ary 15 and 16 Car­ni­val dates. But that may be some­thing we may wish to re­con­sid­er al­so. Sup­pose our mar­ket­ing in­tel­li­gence says you know, if you do this at East­er, you will have a po­ten­tial­ly big­ger view­er­ship, I am not say­ing that is the case, but we are look­ing at all av­enues be­cause there is a say­ing, nev­er waste a good cri­sis.”

Min­is­ter Hints At Car­ni­val Lat­er In 2021

Tourism, Cul­ture and the Arts Min­is­ter Ran­dall Mitchell said con­sid­er­a­tions will be giv­en to stag­ing Car­ni­val 2021 lat­er than Feb­ru­ary.

Fol­low­ing Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley’s an­nounce­ment on Mon­day that there would be no Car­ni­val next year, Mitchell said in an in­ter­view last week that all was not lost.

He said “With the aim of gen­er­at­ing eco­nom­ic ac­tiv­i­ty, con­sid­er­a­tion will be giv­en to hav­ing Car­ni­val cel­e­bra­tions lat­er in the year. This would al­so as­sist in re­viv­ing and re­vi­tal­is­ing the cre­ative sec­tor and all the sec­tors that sup­port this fes­ti­val and its events.”

THA: Eco­nom­ic fall­out is great

Chief Sec­re­tary of the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly An­cil Den­nis said he was un­sur­prised by the PM’s an­nounce­ment.

Den­nis, how­ev­er, said “there would be some great fall­out for the is­land of To­ba­go and na­tion­al­ly, of course, be­cause there are a num­ber of ar­ti­sans, stake­hold­ers and busi­ness­es es­pe­cial­ly in the tourism and cre­ative sec­tors that de­pend on Car­ni­val. This will have sig­nif­i­cant im­pacts which has been a fea­ture of this pan­dem­ic. The eco­nom­ic fall­out is great.”

He said the THA will con­tin­ue to do what it has to.

“Where pos­si­ble we will con­tin­ue to host vir­tu­al and cul­tur­al events to con­tin­ue to show­case our nat­ur­al her­itage and cul­ture and pro­mote and mar­ket the is­land as a tourist des­ti­na­tion.”

If the cir­cum­stances im­prove, Den­nis said they “might be able to have a Car­ni­val in the lat­er part of 2021.”

He said the THA has been en­gaged in dis­cus­sions for the longest while “of hav­ing a sep­a­rate Car­ni­val, sep­a­rate and apart from the na­tion­al Car­ni­val be­cause we think there are sig­nif­i­cant ben­e­fits to be de­rived from that for To­ba­go and all its Car­ni­val stake­hold­ers.” He said this was still be­ing ironed out.

Denise Tsoi-A-Fatt-An­gus, chair­man of the To­ba­go Fes­ti­val Com­mis­sion Ltd said the can­cel­la­tion of Car­ni­val should be an op­por­tu­ni­ty for To­ba­go to take a look at the art form and cul­ture on a broad­er per­spec­tive.

“When we come back on the road for the fes­ti­val where do we want this Car­ni­val to go? What are the pos­si­bil­i­ties? Maybe it should spark some con­ver­sa­tions around all of the stake­hold­ers on a na­tion­al lev­el be­cause COVID is not go­ing to sud­den­ly dry up. It is some­thing we have to live with for at least the next two years.

“I think Car­ni­val is more than just Mon­day and Tues­day. There are op­por­tu­ni­ties to por­tray our pan, ca­lyp­soes and cos­tum­ing.”

She said Car­ni­val must now be pre­sent­ed on­line in a way that is en­ter­tain­ing and ed­u­cat­ing. Asked if host­ing Car­ni­val in such a way will mean less rev­enue for To­ba­go, Tsoi-A-Fatt-An­gus dis­agreed.

“Go­ing vir­tu­al does not mean less rev­enue. It may end up be­ing more rev­enue for us. We are hav­ing dis­cus­sions on how we re­coup on that rev­enue. I don’t want to say more. It may very well work out for all of us in the long run. If it is prop­er­ly pack­aged you don’t have to charge big mon­ey.”

The com­mis­sion has been in talks with stake­hold­ers to come up with some­thing fea­si­ble.

Hav­ing vir­tu­al­ly host­ed the To­ba­go Her­itage Fes­ti­val in Ju­ly which at­tract­ed a wide view­er­ship, Tsoi-A-Fatt-An­gus, said they will build on what they have al­ready achieved.

“I am ex­cit­ed and op­ti­mistic.”


T&T Car­ni­val can­celled in the past

Car­ni­val in T&T has been can­celled twice be­fore due to war and dis­ease.

The rev­el­ry was halt­ed dur­ing 1942-1945 as World War II con­tin­ued, and then again in 1972 when it was post­poned for three months be­cause of a po­lio out­break.

Fast-for­ward to 2020, the COVID-19 virus has crip­pled glob­al economies and claimed more than one mil­lion lives around the world.

Com­ment­ing on the ef­fect this can­cel­la­tion, his­to­ri­an Ger­ard Besson said there are tens of thou­sands of cit­i­zens who re­frain from Car­ni­val ac­tiv­i­ties. “It is not the whole of T&T who will be af­fect­ed or put out be­cause Car­ni­val is post­poned.”

How­ev­er, he said the can­cel­la­tion would have a, “very, very bad ef­fect on a large num­ber of peo­ple who make a liv­ing dur­ing Car­ni­val.” Besson said small en­tre­pre­neurs such as street ven­dors, bar op­er­a­tors, cater­ers, truck dri­vers, se­cu­ri­ty per­son­nel and crafts­men would feel the neg­a­tive ef­fects the most.

Look­ing ahead to Car­ni­val 2022, Besson pre­dict­ed, “It would be more mod­est than in the past be­cause there would be less mon­ey to throw around. The price of fetes would go down, the price of cos­tumes would go down.

"It will af­fect every­body and will have a knock-on ef­fect in fam­i­lies and so on. Car­ni­val 2022 would be far more mod­est than it has been in the past.”

Besson felt the idea of pay­ing thou­sands of dol­lars for a cos­tume would no longer be as fea­si­ble be­cause peo­ple will just not have that dis­pos­able in­come as job loss­es in­crease and pri­or­i­ties change.

Com­mend­ing the Prime Min­is­ter for his han­dling of the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic, Besson said, “He has done a very re­spon­si­ble job so far, so it would be ex­ceed­ing­ly ir­re­spon­si­ble if he blew it now.”

Carnival


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored