JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

December to remember: SoE, deaths of MP and two of her children mar month

by

Dareece Polo
92 days ago
20250101

DA­REECE PO­LO

Se­nior Re­porter

da­reece.po­lo@guardian.co.tt

Two days be­fore the na­tion em­braced the start of a new year, the Gov­ern­ment an­nounced the im­po­si­tion of a State of Emer­gency (SoE), draw­ing lo­cal and in­ter­na­tion­al at­ten­tion.

This de­ci­sion came as a shock to many cit­i­zens, some of whom had long ad­vo­cat­ed for such a mea­sure to com­bat the es­ca­lat­ing crime rate—a call that went unan­swered dur­ing the al­most 10 years of the Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM) ad­min­is­tra­tion.

Ad­dress­ing re­porters at a me­dia con­fer­ence on De­cem­ber 30, act­ing At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Stu­art Young said the SoE de­ci­sion was made af­ter in­tel­li­gence gath­ered by the Trinidad and To­ba­go Po­lice Ser­vice (TTPS) sug­gest­ed that reprisal vi­o­lence in­volv­ing the use of high-pow­ered as­sault weapons by gangs could be im­mi­nent. This fol­lowed the mur­der of 34-year-old Trevor Williams out­side the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion on De­cem­ber 28, and the sub­se­quent mass killing of five peo­ple in Priz­gar Lands, Laven­tille, on De­cem­ber 29th.

Williams had been part of a group ac­com­pa­ny­ing Calvin Lee, al­so known as “Tyson” or “Dan 6,” to the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion. Lee, who po­lice de­scribed as a “re­put­ed gang leader,” vis­its the po­lice sta­tion reg­u­lar­ly as part of his bail con­di­tions, ac­com­pa­nied by an en­tourage that serves as look­outs. He sur­vived the at­tack.

Young sought to jus­ti­fy the SoE, which Gov­ern­ment had pre­vi­ous­ly re­ject­ed, say­ing: “Cer­tain crim­i­nal gangs, I will leave out the places where at this stage, but I can say through­out Trinidad and pos­si­bly To­ba­go are like­ly to im­me­di­ate­ly in­crease their brazen acts of vi­o­lence in reprisal shoot­ings on a scale so ex­ten­sive that it threat­ens per­sons and will en­dan­ger pub­lic safe­ty.”

Young stressed that the 61 mur­ders record­ed at the time and T&T’s dead­liest year on record with 623 killings — in­clud­ing To­ba­go’s alarm­ing rise to 26 killings from 14 in 2023 — were not the cat­a­lyst for the SoE.

“There is not go­ing to be any cur­few. That de­ci­sion is be­cause the tar­get­ing of this na­tion­al pub­lic State of Emer­gency is on those who en­gage in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ty with crim­i­nal in­tent of en­dan­ger­ing the pub­lic safe­ty through the use of these il­le­gal firearms, both high-ve­loc­i­ty as well as il­le­gal hand­guns and the oth­er likes,” he said.

Un­like pre­vi­ous SoEs, such as those in 1990 and 2011, the new mea­sures did not im­pose cur­fews or re­stric­tions on pub­lic meet­ings or march­es. How­ev­er, Young con­firmed that cer­tain con­sti­tu­tion­al rights had been sus­pend­ed.

“The po­lice ser­vice will be giv­en pow­ers to search premis­es with­out war­rants, to search per­sons with­out war­rants who they have sus­pi­cions of car­ry­ing out crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ties, a lot of it as­so­ci­at­ed with il­le­gal firearms and al­so to de­tain per­sons for pe­ri­ods of time. We are go­ing to have a 48-hour hold­ing pe­ri­od where per­sons can be held un­der these reg­u­la­tions there­after a mag­is­trate or se­nior po­lice of­fi­cer can make an or­der of de­ten­tion for an­oth­er sev­en days while ev­i­dence is be­ing gath­ered,” he said.

In a bad sign for 2025 though, at­tor­ney Ran­dall Hec­tor was gunned down along Stan­more Av­enue, Port-of-Spain, on the first day of the SoE, a mere four hours be­fore New Year’s Day.

The coun­try’s homi­cide rate reached a grim 600 mile­stone on De­cem­ber 23rd, when 36-year-old ju­di­cia­ry work­er Sta­cy Gopauls­ingh was hacked to death dur­ing a home in­va­sion.

This, along with oth­er mass killings, do­mes­tic-re­lat­ed homi­cides, and fa­tal home in­va­sions, con­tributed to the sta­tis­tics. One such home in­va­sion oc­curred on De­cem­ber 15th, when 68-year-old Am­i­na Mo­hammed be­came the vic­tim of in­trud­ers who stabbed her to death us­ing her kitchen knife.

Ac­ci­den­tal homi­cides al­so es­ca­lat­ed the death toll last year. Six­teen-year-old Je­re­mi­ah Out­ram was shot in the head by his 15-year-old cousin in San­gre Grande on De­cem­ber 21st. He died in the home he was vis­it­ing for the hol­i­days, leav­ing his fam­i­ly mem­bers strug­gling to cope. His grand­moth­er, Pa­tri­cia Pierre, be­lieves the at­trac­tion to so­cial me­dia fame played a part in his demise.

“Stop this so­cial me­dia, stop this Tik­Tok be­cause it is that what have my lit­tle grand­son dead to­day,” she warned.

Con­tin­ues on page 9

Trau­mat­ic De­cem­ber

De­cem­ber brought unimag­in­able tragedy, as the bor­ough of Ari­ma was stunned by the pass­ing of D’Abadie/O’Meara MP and Min­is­ter of Ed­u­ca­tion Lisa Mor­ris-Ju­lian, along with her 25-year-old daugh­ter Xi­anne and six-year-old son Je­si­ah.

The trio per­ished in a fire that broke out at their Far­fan Street, Ari­ma home at 5.30 am on De­cem­ber 16th. Eye­wit­ness­es re­called hear­ing Xi­anne’s des­per­ate cries.

De­spite claims from the Fire Ser­vice that they ar­rived with­in 11 min­utes, CCTV footage and eye­wit­ness­es sug­gest­ed a much longer re­sponse time. How­ev­er, the elec­tric­i­ty was dis­rupt­ed once the fire spread to a light pole, caus­ing se­cu­ri­ty cam­eras to miss the time they ar­rived.

“There was no ur­gency in­volved. They just took the in­for­ma­tion, and the fe­male cen­tu­ry said, she say, ‘well, we in­formed Tu­na­puna, Tu­na­puna re­spond­ing.’ If there was a bet­ter re­sponse from the fire ser­vice, even if it was a foot re­sponse, we could have saved some lives,” said one res­i­dent, who wished to re­main uniden­ti­fied, about the re­sponse of fire­fight­ers from the near­by Ari­ma Fire Sta­tion, which is less than a block away from the prop­er­ty.

Mor­ris-Ju­lian Gov­ern­ment col­leagues flocked to the scene. Many of them were over­whelmed with grief and were al­lowed to view the bod­ies in­side the burnt-out house.

A pub­lic spat soon de­vel­oped be­tween the Fire Ser­vice and Min­istry of Pub­lic Util­i­ties over sup­posed wa­ter chal­lenges, lead­ing to the for­ma­tion of a com­mit­tee, head­ed by for­mer fire chief Roo­sevelt Bruce, to in­ves­ti­gate the Fire Ser­vice’s re­sponse to the blaze.

Mor­ris-Ju­lian’s hus­band, Daniel Ju­lian, was hos­pi­talised for four days fol­low­ing the tragedy. Their two oth­er chil­dren, 22-year-old Anya and 17-year-old Isa­iah, along with her 48-year-old sis­ter Siane Mor­ris and her daugh­ter’s boyfriend, 23-year-old Ed­ward Allen, were treat­ed for smoke in­hala­tion and lat­er dis­charged.

A state-as­sist­ed fu­ner­al will be held for Mor­ris-Ju­lian and her two chil­dren to­mor­row, fit­ting for a woman de­scribed by the Prime Min­is­ter as “the best rep­re­sen­ta­tive in the Gov­ern­ment of T&T.”

Mean­while, dis­as­ter struck South Trinidad when Well Ser­vices Pe­tro­le­um Com­pa­ny Lim­it­ed’s Rig 110, lo­cat­ed in the Her­itage Off­shore East Field in the Gulf of Paria, par­tial­ly col­lapsed at 3 am on De­cem­ber 22nd. Of the 75 em­ploy­ees present, 47-year-old Pe­te Phillip was the on­ly one to go miss­ing. His body has not been re­cov­ered.

His preg­nant wife, 34-year-old Can­da­cy Phillip, is dev­as­tat­ed. The cou­ple, mar­ried for 16 years, has four chil­dren be­tween the ages of 3 and 13, and they had been ea­ger­ly an­tic­i­pat­ing his re­turn home on Christ­mas Day.

‘Sil­ly sea­son’ com­mences

With gen­er­al elec­tions con­sti­tu­tion­al­ly due by Au­gust, 2025, De­cem­ber was a month of po­lit­i­cal strate­gis­ing for both the Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM) and the Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress (UNC).

On De­cem­ber 2, Port-of-Spain City Cor­po­ra­tion al­der­man Ka­reem Mar­celle was named the PNM’s can­di­date for Laven­tille West, just four days af­ter in­cum­bent MP Fitzger­ald Hinds an­nounced his ex­it from rep­re­sen­ta­tion­al pol­i­tics.

Mar­celle tri­umphed over Dr Kadelle Jesse­my, and the an­nounce­ment sparked wild cel­e­bra­tions out­side Bal­isi­er House and in the streets, as hun­dreds of sup­port­ers, many wav­ing plac­ards, cheered. In his first ad­dress as the par­ty’s can­di­date, Mar­celle de­clared that his top pri­or­i­ty would be bring­ing peace and love to the crime-plagued Laven­tille com­mu­ni­ty.

Things did not go so well for La Brea MP Stephen Mc Clashie, who was re­ject­ed by the PNM’s screen­ing com­mit­tee. His con­stituents ac­cused him of be­ing ab­sent and high­light­ed un­em­ploy­ment and pover­ty as their main con­cerns.

Laven­tille East/Mor­vant MP Adri­an Leonce dropped out of the elec­toral race af­ter fail­ing to ap­pear for screen­ing due to fam­i­ly is­sues.

Mean­while, an ex­clu­sive Sun­day Guardian re­port re­vealed For­eign and Cari­com Af­fairs Min­is­ter Dr Amery Browne could re­place Dr Row­ley as Diego Mar­tin West MP, but Browne said he was not ap­proached by the con­stituen­cy ex­ec­u­tive on this mat­ter, al­though the re­port did not in­di­cate he was ap­proached by the ex­ec­u­tive, while Dr Row­ley has re­mained mum on the is­sue.

On De­cem­ber 13, UNC leader Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar be­gan ef­forts to form al­liances with three po­lit­i­cal par­ties and five trade unions in a bid to un­seat the PNM when­ev­er the gen­er­al elec­tion is called. How­ev­er, the al­liance was im­me­di­ate­ly re­ject­ed by To­ba­go’s po­lit­i­cal par­ties. While Per­sad-Bisses­sar re­ject­ed the po­lit­i­cal par­ties led by Gary Grif­fith (Na­tion­al Trans­for­ma­tion Al­liance) and Mick­ela Pan­day (Pa­tri­ot­ic Front), the UNC’s pro­posed arrange­ment with two of its al­lies— the Con­gress of the Peo­ple and HOPE—col­lapsed short­ly af­ter­wards, when both par­ties chose to align with Grif­fith’s NTA.

The COP then faced in­ter­nal tur­moil fol­low­ing Kirt Sin­nette’s res­ig­na­tion as in­ter­im leader and the ap­point­ment of for­mer par­ty leader Prakash Ra­mad­har as in­ter­im leader. The par­ty’s ex­ec­u­tive, af­ter ini­tial­ly send­ing out a me­dia re­lease in­di­cat­ing the re­turn of Ra­mad­har, sub­se­quent­ly re­vealed Ra­mad­har’s ap­point­ment had not been rat­i­fied. Sin­nette in­sist­ed he did not need such ap­proval when he made the de­ci­sion to ap­point Ra­mad­har a deputy leader be­fore re­sign­ing and ap­point­ing him in­ter­im leader, but the par­ty has since in­di­cat­ed it is iron­ing out is­sues.

To­ba­go air­port scan­dal, leg­isla­tive up­sets

To­ba­go’s tran­quil­i­ty was shak­en by al­le­ga­tions of cor­rup­tion sur­round­ing the con­struc­tion of the ANR Robin­son In­ter­na­tion­al Air­port.

Op­po­si­tion leader Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar ac­cused the Gov­ern­ment of spend­ing $461 mil­lion in cost over­runs to ex­pe­dite the project, but Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert de­nied this.

“As of to­day, the orig­i­nal con­struc­tion con­tract sum has been ex­ceed­ed by US$2.5 mil­lion or 2%,” he told re­porters at a post-Cab­i­net me­dia con­fer­ence on De­cem­ber 6.

The fol­low­ing day, how­ev­er, he was forced to re­tract his state­ment af­ter a Cab­i­net note dat­ed No­vem­ber 28 was leaked, show­ing ad­di­tion­al funds re­quest­ed for the project, in­clud­ing an ad­vanced pay­ment of US$15 mil­lion to the Chi­na Rail­way Con­struc­tion Caribbean Com­pa­ny Lim­it­ed while a claim was be­ing set­tled. He lat­er clar­i­fied that cost over­runs ac­tu­al­ly amount­ed to US$17.5 mil­lion. When asked to ex­plain the er­ror, Im­bert said he had on­ly ad­dressed what he knew at the time. When re­porters point­ed out that he would have been in pos­ses­sion of the Cab­i­net note, he sug­gest­ed he did not ex­pect it to re­main a se­cret.

As cor­rup­tion al­le­ga­tions per­sist­ed, it was re­vealed on De­cem­ber 15 that Al­lan Warn­er, the Prime Min­is­ter’s friend, was a sub-con­trac­tor on the project, which the Op­po­si­tion de­scribed as con­cern­ing.

Mean­while, on De­cem­ber 9, the Low­er House passed one bill aimed at grant­i­ng the is­land greater au­ton­o­my, but failed to pass a sec­ond bill with a sim­i­lar ob­jec­tive.

The To­ba­go Is­land Gov­ern­ment Bill, 2021, was passed with 20 votes in favour and 10 against. How­ev­er, the Con­sti­tu­tion (Amend­ment) (To­ba­go Self-gov­ern­ment) Bill, 2020, which re­quired a spe­cial ma­jor­i­ty of 31 votes, on­ly gar­nered the sup­port of 21 MPs, with 16 vot­ing against. This re­sult an­gered Chief Sec­re­tary Far­ley Au­gus­tine, who missed out on be­com­ing To­ba­go’s first pre­mier through the leg­is­la­tion. He took to so­cial me­dia, call­ing Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley a “house slave.”

In the cap­i­tal, wide­spread anger was avoid­ed when the Gov­ern­ment scrapped a de­ci­sion to in­tro­duce a bill in Par­lia­ment that set a $25,000 sav­ings cap for pen­sion el­i­gi­bil­i­ty. In an­nounc­ing that the bill was be­ing re­scind­ed, At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Regi­nald Ar­mour at­trib­uted the er­ror to an un­named pub­lic ser­vant.

Bad news, good news

On De­cem­ber 18, a 14-year-old boy was ab­duct­ed from his fa­ther’s busi­ness in St Au­gus­tine. How­ev­er, the sto­ry had a pos­i­tive end­ing when Za­heer Samuel was found alive af­ter 17 hours. He was aban­doned by his ab­duc­tors in a forest­ed area in San Pablo, Va­len­cia, and was left blood­ied from thorny bush­es and ra­zor grass that cut at his feet as he walked to safe­ty. Samuel man­aged to find his way in­to a stranger’s house, who con­tact­ed the po­lice and helped re­unite him with his fam­i­ly.

On a lighter note, his­to­ry was made when pan­nist Joshua Re­grel­lo played the na­tion­al in­stru­ment for 31 hours in an at­tempt to set a Guin­ness World Record. The na­tion will learn if he met the re­quire­ments in about three months.

Re­grel­lo be­gan around 6.30 am on De­cem­ber 27, and fin­ished at ap­prox­i­mate­ly 12.30 pm on De­cem­ber 28. Sev­er­al artiste per­formed along­side him to help keep his mo­men­tum go­ing. Orig­i­nal­ly aim­ing for a 30-hour tar­get, Re­grel­lo ex­ceed­ed it by an hour, bring­ing to­geth­er the di­verse peo­ple of T&T to fly the na­tion­al flag high and end the year on a cel­e­bra­to­ry note.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored