JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Khamal resigns from TSTT

by

Asha Javeed
305 days ago
20240602

Asha Javeed

Lead Ed­i­tor In­ves­ti­ga­tions

asha.javeed@guardian.co.tt

Khamal Georges, TSTT’s se­nior man­ag­er-Cor­po­rate, En­vi­ron­men­tal, So­cial and Rep­u­ta­tion Man­age­ment, has re­signed from the com­pa­ny. Act­ing chief ex­ec­u­tive Kent West­ern con­firmed to Guardian Me­dia that Georges sub­mit­ted his res­ig­na­tion and was head­ing to an­oth­er “op­por­tu­ni­ty”. Georges, a for­mer News­gath­er­ing Ed­i­tor and news an­chor at CNC3 News con­firmed that he had left TSTT to take up a po­si­tion at the CAF De­vel­op­ment Bank of Latin Amer­i­ca and the Caribbean.

“I val­ue my time at TSTT and I val­ue the peo­ple I had an op­por­tu­ni­ty to work with,” he told Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day.

He is the third high-pro­file ex­it from the com­pa­ny, fol­low­ing a da­ta breach at the tele­coms com­pa­ny in Oc­to­ber 2023. For­mer chief ex­ec­u­tive Lisa Agard was fired by the Sean Roach-led board last No­vem­ber, while for­mer chief fi­nan­cial of­fi­cer Shi­va Ram­nar­ine was fired two months lat­er.

“TSTT made a de­ci­sion to ter­mi­nate my em­ploy­ment for no rea­son. It’s a clause that I specif­i­cal­ly re­quest­ed be put in­to my con­tract and that is to en­sure that in the case of hos­til­i­ty, an­i­mos­i­ty, or any oth­er types of is­sues that may arise, we can both part ways am­i­ca­bly,” Ram­nar­ine told a Joint Se­lect Com­mit­tee on Feb­ru­ary 19.

When asked whether his de­par­ture was linked to the mal­ware in­cur­sion, he an­swered, “I would say that there was a great deal of dis­in­for­ma­tion put out there about my not ap­prov­ing spend­ing, which has been re­fut­ed, which has been rub­bished. It has been pub­li­cised prop­er­ly de­spite the at­tempts of the net­work and IT team and oth­ers for that dis­in­for­ma­tion to cloud the in­com­pe­tence that was at play. So I would say, at this point, in hind­sight, I would say that played a sig­nif­i­cant role, but be­cause it’s a ter­mi­na­tion for no rea­son and they ef­fect­ed that clause, I can­not say specif­i­cal­ly what that would be. I would say that in the past year and a half, and I would ven­ture out there, there has been a sig­nif­i­cant amount of hos­til­i­ty and an­i­mos­i­ty di­rect­ed to­wards my­self.”

Fol­low­ing Georges’ ap­point­ment at TSTT, the Com­mu­ni­ca­tion Work­ers Union (CWU) voiced ob­jec­tions about his ap­point­ment and salary pack­age, and fol­low­ing the da­ta breach, the CWU called for the re­moval of Agard, Ram­nar­ine, and Georges.

Af­ter Agard was fired, TSTT ap­point­ed West­ern to the post of act­ing chief ex­ec­u­tive, ef­fec­tive im­me­di­ate­ly. The in­ves­ti­ga­tion is still on­go­ing.

Fol­low­ing the breach, the com­pa­ny’s line min­is­ter, Mar­vin Gon­za­les, or­dered an in­de­pen­dent in­ves­ti­ga­tion, which Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands is still on­go­ing.

Last week, Op­po­si­tion MP Bar­ry Padarath ques­tioned why the in­ves­ti­ga­tion was tak­ing so long. He re­called that on dif­fer­ent oc­ca­sions, Gon­za­les iden­ti­fied March, April, and May as pos­si­ble times when a re­port on the cy­ber­at­tack should be ready. “We are at the end of May 2024, and the Gov­ern­ment re­mains mum on the is­sue of the re­port,” he said.

For his part, Padarath said he has sent free­dom of in­for­ma­tion (FOI) re­quests to TSTT for the min­utes of board meet­ings about what hap­pened dur­ing and af­ter the in­ci­dent, but TSTT has re­fused to pro­vide the in­for­ma­tion. “We have tak­en a de­ci­sion that should we not get those board min­utes com­ing out of TSTT through the FOI, we are go­ing to go to the courts,” Padarath said.

Gon­za­les had said the Gov­ern­ment man­dat­ed TSTT’s Board to do a thor­ough and in­de­pen­dent in­ves­ti­ga­tion, and the board had tak­en steps to­wards fa­cil­i­tat­ing the start of the probe. Gon­za­les had said, “Ad­di­tion­al­ly, TSTT is still in the process of eval­u­at­ing all as­pects of the at­tack, in­clud­ing the val­i­da­tion of all re­port­ed in­for­ma­tion in the pub­lic do­main, that is, the per­son­al da­ta of all our cit­i­zens, in­clu­sive of mem­bers of the Cab­i­net and par­lia­men­tar­i­ans.”

Guardian Me­dia has re­port­ed that the names of the coun­try’s top of­fi­cials, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley, Pres­i­dent Chris­tine Kan­ga­loo, Chief Jus­tice Ivor Archie, Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert, Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Fitzger­ald Hinds, Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Er­la Hare­wood-Christo­pher, and Pub­lic Util­i­ties Min­is­ter Mar­vin Gon­za­les, are all in­clud­ed in a list of peo­ple found in doc­u­ments down­loaded from the dark web from TSTT’s da­ta breach. And de­spite de­nial by TSTT, Guardian Me­dia ob­tained scans with cred­it card in­for­ma­tion, as well as bank ac­count num­bers, in­clud­ed in the 6GB da­ta bun­dle.

Al­so in­clud­ed among the scans were bank­ing in­for­ma­tion for cus­tomers, com­pa­nies, state en­ter­pris­es, and min­istries, as well as cred­it card num­bers in trans­ac­tion re­ceipts. There were al­so for­eign ID cards and doc­u­ments in the dump. The list con­tains 1.2 mil­lion en­tries.

There are hun­dreds of thou­sands of names on the list that has been post­ed on­line fol­low­ing the da­ta breach at the telecom­mu­ni­ca­tions com­pa­ny.

CWU cel­e­brates

 

In a press state­ment yes­ter­day, the CWU said that Georges’ time­ly res­ig­na­tion comes a bit ear­li­er than ex­pect­ed.

The union said the in­ves­ti­ga­tion re­port in­to the da­ta breach will soon shed light on the “al­leged state­ment which was pre­pared by Khamal Georges as stat­ed by the for­mer chief ex­ec­u­tive, Lisa Agard, which the min­is­ter re­lied on and mis­led the Par­lia­ment.”

The union said that since June 14, 2022, they have raised con­cerns about Georges’ ap­point­ment, as they be­lieved the post was cre­at­ed for him be­cause it was not ad­ver­tised.

The CWU added, “He has not added any val­ue to the or­gan­i­sa­tion from hire to res­ig­na­tion. It is al­so un­der­stood that he is set to join CAF. The union wish­es him well and trusts in this po­si­tion he will be “FIT FOR PUR­POSE.” 

The cy­ber breach

The cy­ber breach on TSTT oc­curred on Oc­to­ber 9 at 4.18 pm but was on­ly made pub­lic on Oc­to­ber 27 af­ter Fal­con Feeds, an In­dia-based tech­nol­o­gy se­cu­ri­ty com­pa­ny, re­port­ed on its X so­cial me­dia ac­count that ran­somware group Ran­somExx added TSTT (http://tstt.co.tt) to its vic­tim list. It claimed to have ac­cess to 6GB of or­gan­i­sa­tion da­ta.

On Oc­to­ber 28, TSTT said in a state­ment that there was no com­pro­mise of cus­tomer da­ta but added that it had not cor­rob­o­rat­ed in­for­ma­tion in the pub­lic do­main pur­port­ed to be cus­tomer in­for­ma­tion.

How­ev­er, af­ter cy­ber­se­cu­ri­ty ex­perts went dig­ging in­to the da­ta and made their dis­cov­er­ies pub­lic, the com­pa­ny is­sued an­oth­er state­ment.

On No­vem­ber 3, TSTT ad­mit­ted that 6GB, or less than one per cent of the petabytes of the com­pa­ny’s da­ta, was ac­cessed but that the ma­jor­i­ty of its cus­tomers’ da­ta was not ac­quired and no pass­words were com­pro­mised.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored