JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Lawyers in DPP’s Office fearful for their lives

... Traumatised by colleague’s murder, unable to focus on work

by

91 days ago
20250103

Pros­e­cu­tors from the Of­fice of the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions (DPP) were ab­sent from court yes­ter­day and will al­so be miss­ing to­day, as they are said to be so trau­ma­tised by the bru­tal mur­der of for­mer col­league, spe­cial pros­e­cu­tor Ran­dall Hec­tor, that they are fear­ful for their own lives and un­able to fo­cus on work.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands that af­ter Hec­tor was mur­dered af­ter leav­ing the Sev­enth-Day Ad­ven­tist Church at Stan­more Av­enue in Port-of-Spain on Tues­day night, DPP Roger Gas­pard wrote to Chief Jus­tice Ivor Archie high­light­ing the emo­tion­al state of his col­leagues.

In the cor­re­spon­dence, which was shared with staff at the DPP’s Of­fice and ob­tained by Guardian Me­dia, Gas­pard in­formed Archie that his staff would be ab­sent from courts across T&T for the re­main­der of this week, as they (pros­e­cu­tors) were in a “se­vere­ly trau­ma­tised state” and fear­ful for their lives.

Gas­pard al­so in­di­cat­ed that he is ex­pect­ed to host a staff meet­ing to­day to dis­cuss their height­ened se­cu­ri­ty con­cerns and find so­lu­tions.

Con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, Gas­pard de­clined to com­ment un­til af­ter the meet­ing.

In a tele­phone in­ter­view, how­ev­er, a pros­e­cu­tor, who asked not to be iden­ti­fied, said they were deeply trou­bled by Hec­tor’s death.

“We are cry­ing not on­ly be­cause he died but al­so be­cause it means one day it could be us,” the pros­e­cu­tor said.

The pros­e­cu­tor said some col­leagues were cop­ing bet­ter than oth­ers, but not­ed, “I have one col­league who is just ly­ing on her couch cry­ing ... I my­self have not slept a wink since then, just an hour here or there.

“It shook up every­body. Every­one was hys­ter­i­cal with the news.”

While ad­mit­ting to not hav­ing worked with Hec­tor dur­ing his stint at the DPP’s Of­fice, the pros­e­cu­tor in­ter­act­ed with Hec­tor when he host­ed a train­ing ses­sion in con­junc­tion with Strate­gic Ser­vices Agency (SSA) of­fi­cials, where he (Hec­tor) pre­vi­ous­ly worked be­fore go­ing in­to pri­vate prac­tice. “He was pleas­ant and a re­al nice fel­la ... There was no shad­ow over him,” the pros­e­cu­tor said.

While at­tor­neys have ac­cept­ed there was no ev­i­dence yet to prove Hec­tor was tar­get­ed due to his role as a spe­cial pros­e­cu­tor, the source said his mur­der still high­light­ed their se­cu­ri­ty con­cerns.

Al­though many of the over 120 pros­e­cu­tors as­signed to the DPP’s Of­fice are li­censed firearm hold­ers like Hec­tor, the source said this is in­suf­fi­cient to guar­an­tee their safe­ty.

“The FUL could not help. It was clear­ly a tac­ti­cal ex­e­cu­tion. If Hec­tor had an es­cort it would have been a de­ter­rent,” the source not­ed.

The safe­ty con­cerns raised over their Rich­mond Street, Port-of-Spain site was again raised.

“We are not like oth­er State bod­ies. We have to have our Christ­mas par­ty in the car park. Any­one could pass and spray down the place with bul­lets.”

High­light­ing that DPP Gas­pard was al­so pre­vi­ous­ly crit­i­cised for re­fus­ing to move to a build­ing at the cor­ner of Park and Hen­ry Streets in Port-of-Spain due to its prox­im­i­ty to com­mu­ni­ties in east Port-of-Spain con­trolled by gangs, the pros­e­cu­tor said, “He (DPP) was right. It was in the mid­dle of two gangs.”

The build­ing was rent­ed and out­fit­ted by Gov­ern­ment at a cost of $50 mil­lion but af­ter the DPP re­fused to move, the Gov­ern­ment sourced an old First Cit­i­zens bank branch on St Vin­cent for the re­lo­ca­tion of the of­fice.

The source al­so point­ed out that sev­er­al fe­male col­leagues are mar­ried to po­lice of­fi­cers.

“You think it is be­cause they are at­tract­ed to the uni­form? Yes, but, it is be­cause they feel safer,” the source said, not­ing safe­ty con­cerns con­tributed to the high turnover of staff at the DPP’s Of­fice.

The source said they had been ad­vo­cat­ing for all pros­e­cu­tors to re­ceive se­cu­ri­ty de­tails that are nor­mal­ly on­ly af­ford­ed to se­nior mem­bers of the de­part­ment and a risk al­lowance.

LATT wants se­cu­ri­ty mea­sures for ju­di­cial of­fi­cers

In a press re­lease is­sued yes­ter­day af­ter­noon, the Law As­so­ci­a­tion of T&T (LATT) sug­gest­ed that Hec­tor’s mur­der, one day af­ter a State of Emer­gency (SoE) was de­clared, high­light­ed the ur­gent need for se­cu­ri­ty mea­sures for all pros­e­cu­tors and ju­di­cial of­fi­cers in the crim­i­nal jus­tice sys­tem.

LATT said the ob­jec­tives of the SoE “can­not be re­alised with­out the fear­less ef­forts of the le­gal and ju­di­cial of­fi­cers who are en­gaged in the crim­i­nal pros­e­cu­tion of vi­o­lent of­fend­ers.”

The re­lease al­so “round­ly con­demned and de­plored” the bru­tal mur­der of Hec­tor, who it said was a well-re­spect­ed mem­ber of the le­gal pro­fes­sion and the na­tion­al com­mu­ni­ty.

Lawyers de­ny client linked to killing

At­tor­neys rep­re­sent­ing a man who was pre­vi­ous­ly ac­cused of gang ac­tiv­i­ty and is be­ing linked to Hec­tor’s killing, say their client was freed of the charge be­cause of Hec­tor’s fair­ness and in­tegri­ty.

In a me­dia state­ment yes­ter­day, at­tor­neys Pamela El­der and Rus­sell Warn­er said Hec­tor con­duct­ed the pros­e­cu­tion of client Calvin “Tyson” Lee as a true min­is­ter of jus­tice.

There were re­ports that Hec­tor’s killing was some­how linked to him pros­e­cut­ing Lee on charges of be­ing a gang leader. Lee was dis­charged on Sep­tem­ber 23 last year for want of pros­e­cu­tion.

There were al­so so­cial me­dia re­ports of a “strange man” at the church talk­ing and tex­ting and seen walk­ing in the di­rec­tion of Hec­tor be­fore he was killed. The “strange man” turned out to be lo­cal mu­sic artiste Lou Lyons of the band Free­town Col­lec­tive.

In a so­cial me­dia post, af­ter his pic­ture be­gan cir­cu­lat­ing with a re­quest for in­for­ma­tion about him, Lyons said he was not a sus­pect.

“I am Lou Lyons of the band Free­town Col­lec­tive. This is my im­age and like­ness be­ing shared with er­ro­neous and false in­for­ma­tion. I’m not a sus­pect in any on­go­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion. Please cease and de­sist from fur­ther dis­sem­i­na­tion,” Lyons post­ed.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored