JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Minister says students won't be affected by GATE changes now

by

Gail Alexander
1598 days ago
20201117
Minister of Education Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly

Minister of Education Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly

For the 2020/21 aca­d­e­m­ic year the 30,000 stu­dents fund­ed by the Gov­ern­ment As­sis­tance for Tu­ition Ex­pens­es (GATE) pro­gramme will not be af­fect­ed by the re­cent­ly an­nounced changes in the GATE pol­i­cy.

Min­is­ter of Ed­u­ca­tion Dr Nyan Gads­by-Dol­ly con­firmed this in the Sen­ate yes­ter­day re­ply­ing to a ques­tion from In­de­pen­dent sen­a­tor Paul Richards.

Richards asked about the ex­pect­ed num­ber of ter­tiary lev­el stu­dents who will be af­fect­ed by cuts to the GATE pro­gramme an­nounced by Gov­ern­ment last week.

Gov­ern­ment is cut­ting GATE fund­ing to post­grad­u­ate stu­dents from 2021 and re­duc­ing schol­ar­ships from 400 to 100.

Re­ply­ing to Richards’ query, Gads­by-Dol­ly said, that for the aca­d­e­m­ic year 2020-21 none of the ap­prox­i­mate­ly 30,000 GATE-fund­ed stu­dents will be af­fect­ed by the changes.

She said the ap­prox­i­mate 800 post­grad­u­ate stu­dents cur­rent­ly re­ceiv­ing GATE will con­tin­ue to do so un­til the end of the aca­d­e­m­ic year 2020/21.

“New stu­dents will not be el­i­gi­ble (for GATE), “ she added

“The ap­prox­i­mate­ly 900 stu­dents in Ja­maica and Bar­ba­dos in­clud­ing the 2020 in­take will be fund­ed at the present lev­el of GATE for the nor­mal du­ra­tion of their pro­gramme.”

She added, “Fu­ture stu­dents ap­ply­ing for GATE at those in­sti­tu­tions will re­ceive fund­ing at the cost lev­el of these cours­es at St Au­gus­tine cam­pus.”

Gads­by-Dol­ly said it was es­ti­mat­ed that the quan­tum of the ex­pen­di­ture ex­pect­ed to be re­duced by the non-fund­ing of the stu­dents was ap­prox­i­mate­ly $30m.

On oth­er queries from UNC sen­a­tor David Nakhid, Min­is­ter Gads­by –Dol­ly re­it­er­at­ed that the de­ci­sion on clos­ing some UTT cam­pus­es in­volv­ing keep­ing costs at a min­i­mum. She re­peat­ed the sev­en oth­er cam­pus­es to which stu­dents would be fil­tered.

Nakhid asked if UTT staff and stu­dents were con­sult­ed on the de­ci­sion. Gads­by-Dol­ly said it was a de­ci­sion of UTT’s board which was cog­nisant of fi­nan­cial in­for­ma­tion and the de­ci­sion was tak­en on the ba­sis of fi­nan­cial cir­cum­stances.

She al­so said the Ed­u­ca­tion Min­istry would be re­spon­si­ble for ad­min­is­ter­ing the bur­saries for stu­dents in the re­duced schol­ar­ship sys­tem.

Frankie stumped

by Anil doc­u­ment

On an­oth­er is­sue, En­er­gy Min­is­ter Franklin Khan was un­able to an­swer a cer­tain ques­tion from UNC sen­a­tor Anil Roberts on a mat­ter con­cern­ing the pay­ment which Paria Fu­el Trad­ing Com­pa­ny re­ceived for the oil ship­ment it sold in April.

Re­ply­ing to a se­ries of queries from Roberts, Khan had ear­li­er said that in March to April Paria bought 1.24 mil­lion bar­rels of oil from Trafigu­ra PTE Ltd. He said the trans­ac­tions were con­duct­ed from Paria’s day to day op­er­at­ing banks ac­counts.

Khan said Paria sup­plies the lo­cal mar­ket and Cari­com mar­kets.

Khan al­so said pay­ment for 148, 968 bar­rels of gaso­line—sold by Paria—which was re­ceived from ES Eu­ro SA was trans­ferred from the Deutsche Bank to Paria’s ac­count at the Roy­al Bank of Cana­da.

But he said for com­mer­cial rea­sons the pay­ments for the bar­rels of oil can­not be dis­closed.

Roberts not­ed a Paria ad­ver­tise­ment and the min­istry had stat­ed the pay­ment went to Paria’s RBC ac­count.

But Roberts said he had an En­er­gy Min­istry doc­u­ment laid in Par­lia­ment which showed that the April 27 in­voice for the pay­ment showed it was to be made to Paria’s First Cit­i­zens ac­count in­stead.

“ How is it pos­si­ble it went to RBC in­stead when the in­voice stat­ed it be made to a First Cit­i­zen’s bank ac­count?!” Roberts asked.

Khan said, “Well, I’m not seized of that in­for­ma­tion. If he has that in­for­ma­tion and it’s on the Hansard (Par­lia­men­tary record) I’ll check to ver­i­fy the ve­rac­i­ty and what are the rea­sons be­hind it.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored