JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Myanmar’s earthquake death toll jumps to more than 1,000

by

4 days ago
20250329
Rescuers search for victims at the site of a high-rise building under construction that collapsed after a strong earthquake in Bangkok, Thailand, early Saturday, March 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Wason Wanichakorn)

Rescuers search for victims at the site of a high-rise building under construction that collapsed after a strong earthquake in Bangkok, Thailand, early Saturday, March 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Wason Wanichakorn)

Wason Wanichakorn

The death toll from a pow­er­ful 7.7 mag­ni­tude earth­quake in Myan­mar jumped to more than 1,000 on Sat­ur­day as more bod­ies were pulled from the rub­ble of the scores of build­ings that col­lapsed when it struck near the coun­try’s sec­ond-largest city.

The coun­try’s mil­i­tary-led gov­ern­ment said in a state­ment that 1,002 peo­ple have now been found dead and an­oth­er 2,376 in­jured, with 30 oth­ers miss­ing. The state­ment sug­gest­ed the num­bers could still rise, say­ing “de­tailed fig­ures are still be­ing col­lect­ed.”

Myan­mar, al­so known as Bur­ma, is in the throes of a pro­longed civ­il war, which is al­ready re­spon­si­ble for a hu­man­i­tar­i­an cri­sis. It makes move­ment around the coun­try both dif­fi­cult and dan­ger­ous, com­pli­cat­ing re­lief ef­forts and rais­ing fears that the death toll could still rise pre­cip­i­tous­ly.

The earth­quake struck mid­day Fri­day with an epi­cen­ter not far from Man­dalay, fol­lowed by sev­er­al af­ter­shocks, in­clud­ing one mea­sur­ing 6.4. It sent build­ings in many ar­eas top­pling to the ground, buck­led roads, caused bridges to col­lapse and burst a dam.

In the cap­i­tal, Naypyi­daw, crews worked Sat­ur­day to re­pair dam­aged roads, while elec­tric­i­ty, phone and in­ter­net ser­vices re­mained down for most of the city. The earth­quake brought down many build­ings, in­clud­ing mul­ti­ple units that housed gov­ern­ment civ­il ser­vants, but that sec­tion of the city was blocked off by au­thor­i­ties on Sat­ur­day.

More dam­age in Thai­land

In neigh­bor­ing Thai­land, the quake rocked the greater Bangkok area, home to around 17 mil­lion peo­ple, and oth­er parts of the coun­try.

Bangkok city au­thor­i­ties said the num­ber of con­firmed dead was now 10, nine at the site of the col­lapsed high-rise un­der con­struc­tion near the cap­i­tal’s pop­u­lar Chatuchak mar­ket, while 78 peo­ple were still un­ac­count­ed for. Res­cue ef­forrs were con­tin­u­ing in the hope of find­ing ad­di­tion­al sur­vivors.

On Sat­ur­day, more heavy equip­ment was brought in to move the tons of rub­ble, but hope was fad­ing among friends and fam­i­ly mem­bers of the miss­ing that they would be found alive.

“I was pray­ing that that they had sur­vived but when I got here and saw the ru­in — where could they be? In which cor­ner? Are they still alive? I am still pray­ing that all six are alive,” said 45-year-old Narue­mol Thon­glek, sob­bing as she await­ed news about her part­ner, who is from Myan­mar, and five friends who worked at the site.

Waen­phet Pan­ta said she hadn’t heard from her daugh­ter Kan­laya­nee since a phone call about an hour be­fore the quake. A friend told her Kan­laya­nee had been work­ing high on the build­ing on Fri­day.

“I am pray­ing my daugh­ter is safe, that she has sur­vived and that she’s at the hos­pi­tal,” she said, Kan­laya­nee’s fa­ther sit­ting be­side her.

Thai au­thor­i­ties said that the quake and af­ter­shocks were felt in most of the coun­try’s provinces. Many places in the north re­port­ed dam­age to res­i­den­tial build­ings, hos­pi­tals and tem­ples, in­clud­ing in Chi­ang Mai, but the on­ly ca­su­al­ties were re­port­ed in Bangkok.

Myan­mar sits on a ma­jor fault line

Earth­quakes are rare in Bangkok, but rel­a­tive­ly com­mon in Myan­mar. The coun­try sits on the Sagaing Fault, a ma­jor north-south fault that sep­a­rates the In­dia plate and the Sun­da plate.

Bri­an Bap­tie, a seis­mol­o­gist with the British Ge­o­log­i­cal Sur­vey, said that the quake caused in­tense ground shak­ing in an area where most of the pop­u­la­tion lives in build­ings con­struct­ed of tim­ber and un­re­in­forced brick ma­son­ry.

“When you have a large earth­quake in an area where there are over a mil­lion peo­ple, many of them liv­ing in vul­ner­a­ble build­ings, the con­se­quences can of­ten be dis­as­trous,” he said in a state­ment.

A nat­ur­al dis­as­ter on top of a civ­il war

Myan­mar’s gov­ern­ment said that blood was in high de­mand in the hard­est-hit ar­eas. In a coun­try where pri­or gov­ern­ments some­times have been slow to ac­cept for­eign aid, Min Aung Hlaing said that Myan­mar was ready to ac­cept out­side as­sis­tance.

Myan­mar’s mil­i­tary seized pow­er from the elect­ed gov­ern­ment of Aung San Suu Kyi in Feb­ru­ary 2021, and is now in­volved in a civ­il war with long-es­tab­lished mili­tias and new­ly formed pro-democ­ra­cy ones.

Mil­i­tary forces con­tin­ued their at­tacks even af­ter the quake, with three airstrikes in north­ern Kayin state, al­so called Karen­ni state, and south­ern Shan — both of which bor­der Man­dalay state, said Dave Eu­bank, a for­mer U.S. Army Spe­cial Forces sol­dier who found­ed the Free Bur­ma Rangers, a hu­man­i­tar­i­an aid or­ga­ni­za­tion that has pro­vid­ed as­sis­tance to both com­bat­ants and civil­ians in Myan­mar since the 1990s.

Eu­bank told The As­so­ci­at­ed Press that in the area he was op­er­at­ing in, most vil­lages have al­ready been de­stroyed by the mil­i­tary so the earth­quake had lit­tle im­pact.

“Peo­ple are in the jun­gle and I was out in the jun­gle when the earth­quake hit — it was pow­er­ful, but the trees just moved, that was it for us, so we haven’t had a di­rect im­pact oth­er than that the Bur­ma army keeps at­tack­ing, even af­ter the quake,” he said.

In north­ern Shan, an airstrike on a rebel-con­trolled vil­lage just min­utes af­ter the earth­quake killed sev­en mili­tia mem­bers and dam­aged five build­ings, in­clud­ing a school, Mai Rukow, ed­i­tor of a Shan-based on­line me­dia Shwe Phee Myay News Agency, told the AP.

Gov­ern­ment forces have lost con­trol of much of Myan­mar, and many places are in­cred­i­bly dan­ger­ous or sim­ply im­pos­si­ble for aid groups to reach. More than 3 mil­lion peo­ple have been dis­placed by the fight­ing and near­ly 20 mil­lion are in need, ac­cord­ing to the Unit­ed Na­tions.

“Al­though a full pic­ture of the dam­age is still emerg­ing, most of us have nev­er seen such de­struc­tion,” said Haider Yaqub, Myan­mar coun­try di­rec­tor for the NGO Plan In­ter­na­tion­al, from Yan­gon.

Con­trol tow­er at Myan­mar air­port col­lapsed

Satel­lite pho­tos from Plan­et Labs PBC an­a­lyzed by the AP show the earth­quake top­pled the air traf­fic con­trol tow­er at Naypy­itaw In­ter­na­tion­al Air­port as if sheered from its base.

De­bris lay scat­tered from the top of the tow­er, which con­trolled all air traf­fic in the cap­i­tal of Myan­mar, the pho­tos showed on Sat­ur­day.

It wasn’t im­me­di­ate­ly clear if there had been any in­juries in the col­lapse, though the tow­er would have had staff in­side of it at the time of the earth­quake Fri­day.

Res­cue groups head to Myan­mar

Chi­na and Rus­sia are the largest sup­pli­ers of weapons to Myan­mar’s mil­i­tary, and were among the first to step in with hu­man­i­tar­i­an aid.

Chi­na said it has sent more than 135 res­cue per­son­nel and ex­perts along with sup­plies like med­ical kits and gen­er­a­tors, and pledged around $13.8 mil­lion in emer­gency aid. Hong Kong sent a 51-mem­ber team to Myan­mar.

Rus­sia’s Emer­gen­cies Min­istry said it had flown in 120 res­cuers and sup­plies, and the coun­try’s Health Min­istry said Moscow had sent a med­ical team to Myan­mar.

Oth­er coun­tries like In­dia and South Ko­rea are send­ing help, and the U.N. al­lo­cat­ed $5 mil­lion to start re­lief ef­forts.

U.S. Pres­i­dent Don­ald Trump said Fri­day that Wash­ing­ton was go­ing to help with the re­sponse, but some ex­perts were con­cerned about this ef­fort giv­en his ad­min­is­tra­tion’s deep cuts in for­eign as­sis­tance.

Jer­ry Harmer and Grant Peck in Bangkok, Sim­i­na Mis­tre­anu in Taipei, Tong-hyung Kim in Seoul, South Ko­rea, and Jon Gam­brell in Dubai, Unit­ed Arab Emi­rates, con­tributed to this re­port.

By DAVID RIS­ING and JIN­TA­MAS SAK­SORN­CHAI

BANGKOK (AP)


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored