JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

New PNM leadership for Tobago

by

1148 days ago
20220210
Flashback: Political leader of the PNM Tobago Council Tracy Davidson-Celestine addresses the media at Shaw Park after the PNM conceded defeat in the THA elections.

Flashback: Political leader of the PNM Tobago Council Tracy Davidson-Celestine addresses the media at Shaw Park after the PNM conceded defeat in the THA elections.

VINDRA GOPAUL-BOODAN

New PNM To­ba­go lead­er­ship in two months.

And PNM’s To­ba­go Coun­cil leader Tra­cy David­son-Ce­les­tine who won’t be con­test­ing PNM’s ex­ec­u­tive elec­tion on April 24, be­lieves oth­er PNM can­di­dates who were de­feat­ed in the re­cent To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly (THA) elec­tions should avoid con­test­ing to al­low PNM the best chance to move for­ward .

But de­feat­ed PNM can­di­date and for­mer THA chief sec­re­tary An­cil Den­nis told Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day, “I will be con­test­ing the post of (To­ba­go) po­lit­i­cal leader.”

Both spoke to Guardian Me­dia as the To­ba­go Coun­cil an­nounced its ex­ec­u­tive elec­tion for April 24. This was agreed to at a coun­cil meet­ing on Wednes­day.

Calls for ex­ec­u­tive elec­tions arose last month when the coun­cil re­viewed the re­sults of the THA poll where 14 of PNM’s 15 can­di­dates were de­feat­ed by the Pro­gres­sive De­mo­c­ra­t­ic Pa­tri­ots team.

Some PN­MItes crit­i­cised David­son -Ce­les­tine’s lead­er­ship.

New ex­ec­u­tive elec­tions were agreed up­on. That in­cludes for po­lit­i­cal leader, term of which was orig­i­nal­ly up in 2024.

Nom­i­na­tion forms for the posts will be avail­able from Feb­ru­ary 24 at the PNM’s Scar­bor­ough of­fice.

In the coun­cil’s state­ment, David­son-Ce­les­tine said it is “an­oth­er ex­cit­ing pe­ri­od for the PNM.”

She wished all con­tes­tants the best.

Speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia sub­se­quent­ly, David­son-Ce­les­tine said she won’t be vy­ing for lead­er­ship .

Af­ter the THA elec­tion, she said she felt it nec­es­sary to stand down to al­low new lead­er­ship and new di­rec­tion to move the PNM for­ward to pre­pare for any up­com­ing elec­tion.

Former THA chief secretary Ancil Dennis

Former THA chief secretary Ancil Dennis

THA

She said, “I had op­tions af­ter the elec­tion– I could have re­signed but I thought it fit­ting to re­main and en­sure noth­ing fell down with the (ex­ec­u­tive elec­tion) process.”

“I’m will­ing to step aside and make way for fresh elec­tions and in my do­ing so, it’s be­ing echoed by the mem­ber­ship that there should al­so be oth­er new peo­ple with cred­i­bil­i­ty to take the par­ty for­ward and give it the best chance at polls ahead.”

“So any­one else of­fer­ing them­selves for po­si­tions or lead­er­ship should be new to the process and not taint­ed. I’m not about self-in­ter­est, we must look at the big­ger pic­ture and what’s in the na­tion­al in­ter­est.”

Den­nis, who lost the Buc­coo/Mt Pleas­ant seat by three votes, was firm yes­ter­day that he’s con­test­ing the lead­er­ship.

Soon af­ter the coun­cil’s Jan­u­ary meet­ing, Den­nis had said he was ready to take charge of the coun­cil if the par­ty so de­sired and was open to the job of re­build­ing it and mount­ing a THA elec­tion chal­lenge in four years. He’d said whether it’s lead­er­ship or not, he will play a role in the par­ty’s re­build­ing .

Asked yes­ter­day about the view that de­feat­ed can­di­dates may be un­able to take the par­ty for­ward prop­er­ly, Den­nis said, “So what if PNM had lost all 15 seats? It would still have re­quired a leader and some­body would have had to step up to the plate. All ex­ec­u­tive posts are open. Every­one’s free to con­test, whether de­feat­ed can­di­dates or brand new politi­cians. In the fi­nal analy­sis mem­bers will de­cide as it’s one- man- one-vote.”

“I’ll dis­close my plans ahead. As an ex­pe­ri­enced cam­paign­er for PNM over the last eight years and with a short stint as Chief Sec­re­tary, mem­bers of the par­ty and across the coun­try are aware of my ca­pa­bil­i­ties in­clud­ing lead­er­ship.”

There’s a lob­by among some for PNM’s THA Mi­nor­i­ty leader Kelvon Mor­ris to con­test the lead­er­ship.

The Dar­ryl Spring/Whim As­sem­bly­man was the on­ly suc­cess­ful PNM can­di­date. He didn’t re­ply to calls yes­ter­day.

De­feat­ed can­di­date Joel Jack didn’t re­ply but sources said the for­mer THA fi­nance sec­re­tary “might” con­sid­er con­test­ing.

Some cur­rent ex­ec­u­tive mem­bers are al­so ex­pect­ed to con­test.

The elec­tion in­cludes the chair­man­ship which was va­cant since Stan­ford Cal­len­dar re­signed last year.

Vice chair­man De­on Isaac couldn’t say if he’d con­test that or an­oth­er post. He said dead­line for sub­mis­sion of nom­i­na­tions will be giv­en short­ly.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored