JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

NGOs challenge Rambharat on hunger claim

by

Radhica De Silva
1796 days ago
20200503
Two men carry hampers they received from the Ash-Nad Foundation’s food distribution at the Masjid in San Fernando in April.

Two men carry hampers they received from the Ash-Nad Foundation’s food distribution at the Masjid in San Fernando in April.

RISHI RAGOONATH

Al­though Agri­cul­ture Min­is­ter Clarence Ramb­harat says there is no da­ta to prove many cit­i­zens are suf­fer­ing from “se­vere hunger,” his the­o­ry is be­ing dis­put­ed by the lead­ers of sev­er­al char­i­ta­ble foun­da­tions.

Dur­ing his con­tri­bu­tion in the Sen­ate last week, Ramb­harat said Gov­ern­ment had recog­nised that now was a very dif­fi­cult time for peo­ple. He said Gov­ern­ment had put cer­tain mea­sures in place through the So­cial De­vel­op­ment Min­istry, not­ing, “But there’s ab­solute­ly noth­ing to sug­gest there’s se­vere hunger in T&T.”

He list­ed mea­sures of­fered, in­clud­ing tem­po­rary food sup­port for stu­dents in the School Feed­ing Pro­gramme ben­e­fit­ing 20,500 fam­i­lies. He said all 41 MPs were each al­lo­cat­ed 500 food cards to give to stu­dents’ par­ents or guardians.

Yes­ter­day, how­ev­er, ASH-NAD Foun­da­tion head Ash­mead Ali, whose NGO has so far dis­trib­uted more than 1,000 ham­pers to poor fam­i­lies, said yes­ter­day hunger was wide­spread in many ar­eas across T&T.

“It is true that no­body in Trinidad has ever died of hunger with­in re­cent times but I am on the ground and there are many peo­ple who are suf­fer­ing from hunger. Food has run out in many homes and many strug­gling par­ents are wor­ried about how they will feed their chil­dren,” Ali said, not­ing the prob­lem had in­ten­si­fied fol­low­ing the re­cent lock­down mea­sures en­forced to pre­vent the spread of COVID-19. (See ed­i­to­r­i­al on page 12)

Say­ing he has re­ceived scores of des­per­ate calls from poor peo­ple, Ali said some of these fam­i­lies de­pend on a ham­per to sur­vive as they have no means of in­come.

“They live day-to-day. They do not know where they will get their next meal. We have found fam­i­lies who are fac­ing very dire con­di­tions.

“Peo­ple liv­ing in a ply-board house. We have seen emp­ty food cup­boards. Some­times in the worse cas­es, it is the neigh­bours who call us and when we go and in­ves­ti­gate our­selves we re­alise that they have run out of food,” Ali said.

Ali con­ced­ed that var­i­ous char­i­ta­ble or­gan­i­sa­tions were work­ing in si­los and were not co­or­di­nat­ing ham­per dri­ves col­lab­o­ra­tive­ly. He thus called for the es­tab­lish­ment of a data­base for all char­i­ta­ble or­gan­i­sa­tions so there will no to be du­pli­ca­tion of re­sources.

He said since they start­ed food ham­per dri­ves in mid-March they have al­so come across some un­scrupu­lous peo­ple, forc­ing them to put a more rig­or­ous in­ves­ti­ga­tion sys­tem in place. But he said hav­ing been on the ground, he could ver­i­fy that many fam­i­lies were fac­ing se­vere hunger be­cause of the neg­a­tive so­cio-eco­nom­ic im­pact of COVID-19.

Mean­while, con­trac­tor Ren Gopiesingh, who is a di­rec­tor at the Pe­nal/Debe Com­mu­ni­ty Or­gan­i­sa­tion, al­so said peo­ple were be­com­ing more des­per­ate be­cause they could no longer feed their fam­i­lies. He said some peo­ple have been walk­ing to his home to beg for meals for their chil­dren.

“It is get­ting a bit out of hand be­cause with COVID-19 I have to be care­ful with hav­ing strange peo­ple come in­to my home. I have not been able to do ham­pers like be­fore be­cause we are not get­ting as much work as be­fore,” Gopiesingh said.

“When I could help, I will help. Those peo­ple who came to my home ask­ing for meals, I could not turn them away. I bought them some gro­ceries and so on. To have some­one walk for miles to come to my house to ask for help shows the lev­el of des­per­a­tion some peo­ple are fac­ing.”

His wife Karisa Collin, who heads the or­gan­i­sa­tion, has done cloth­ing dri­ves from their home in the past. 

La Ro­maine Mi­grant Sup­port Group mem­ber Ang­ie Ram­nar­ine agreed that se­vere hunger is wide­spread in some parts of T&T. She said many work­ers who have been laid off, in­clud­ing for­mer Petrotrin work­ers, have been strug­gling to pro­vide for their fam­i­lies.

“Many of them are ashamed to ask for help,” she said.

“You may have a fam­i­ly liv­ing in a big house but there is no in­come to buy food. What you see out­side is not what is re­flect­ed in­side. I just came back from drop­ping mar­ket pro­duce for a fam­i­ly who was too ashamed to come for a ham­per.”

She added that the min­is­ter’s state­ment was sub­jec­tive and he need­ed to de­fine what he meant by “se­vere hunger.”

“We and many oth­er char­i­ta­ble or­gan­i­sa­tions could ver­i­fy that hunger is wide­spread in some parts of the coun­try. Se­vere hunger is sub­jec­tive and the Min­is­ter needs to ex­plain what he means. He seems to not know that there are many, many hun­gry fam­i­lies in our coun­try at this time,” she added.

Con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, Ramb­harat re­spond­ed via What­sApp to in­di­cate that the is­sue was a now mat­ter for Min­is­ter of So­cial De­vel­op­ment Camille Robin­son-Reg­is to ad­dress.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored