JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Sankar breaks UNC ranks again

... attends major Independence Day events

by

Gail Alexander
946 days ago
20220831

UNC coun­cil­lor Samuel Sankar ap­peared to be the on­ly mem­ber of the Op­po­si­tion at­tend­ing yes­ter­day’s 60th In­de­pen­dence An­niver­sary cel­e­bra­tions at the Queen’s Park Sa­van­nah in Port-of-Spain.

Op­po­si­tion Leader Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar and her MPs were not present, of­fi­cials in­di­cat­ed, as has been cus­tom­ary dur­ing their tenure in Op­po­si­tion. How­ev­er, Sankar who is from the Tu­na­puna/Pi­ar­co Re­gion­al Cor­po­ra­tion (TPRC) was seen at the QPS cel­e­bra­tions and oth­er state func­tions.

Kel­ly Vil­lage/War­renville coun­cil­lor Sankar, who is al­so at­tached to the TPRC, was al­so re­cent­ly spot­light­ed af­ter he at­tend­ed the Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment Min­istry’s con­sul­ta­tion with cor­po­ra­tions on the Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment bill.

At a UNC meet­ing the night be­fore the con­sul­ta­tion, Per­sad-Bisses­sar or­dered of­fi­cials of the sev­en UNC-held cor­po­ra­tions to boy­cott the con­sul­ta­tions. Sankar had said coun­cil­lors were told to at­tend the con­sul­ta­tion and protest and he was un­aware of the boy­cott call which came at the meet­ing’s end.

He suf­fered threats which he re­port­ed to the po­lice but stood by his po­si­tion. He was sup­port­ed by Ma­yaro MP Rush­ton Paray and oth­ers. Per­sad-Bisses­sar sub­se­quent­ly said he’d ex­plained his sit­u­a­tion and the mat­ter was a “non-is­sue.”

Speak­ing to the T&T Guardian hours af­ter at­tend­ing the event yes­ter­day, Sankar said, “I was in­vit­ed to the Queen’s Park Sa­van­nah event and I ac­cept­ed. It is our na­tion’s Di­a­mond Ju­bilee—60th-an­niver­sary cel­e­bra­tion and we’re all proud cit­i­zens of this great coun­try. My col­leagues from the TPRC at­tend­ed as well as some of my burgess­es—like Lieu­tenant She­ri­on Man­swell—who are in the mil­i­tary and par­tic­i­pat­ed.

“I al­so at­tend­ed func­tions held by the Fire and Pris­ons Ser­vices and the Pres­i­dent’s ‘Toast to the Na­tion’ event at the Na­tion­al Acad­e­my for the Per­form­ing Arts.”

Sankar said the week of “fire” he re­ceived af­ter his at­ten­dance at the LG con­sul­ta­tion had sub­sided and some UNC coun­cil­lors were again speak­ing to him “dis­creet­ly.”

“Many peo­ple are pray­ing for me. A good col­league told me to stand up like Daniel in the li­on’s den ...,” he said.

UNC par­ty of­fi­cials yes­ter­day didn’t re­spond to queries on the Op­po­si­tion’s no-show at the QPS func­tion, where Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley was greet­ed with loud ap­plause.

UNC deputy leader Roodal Mooni­lal said he wasn’t in T&T.

MP Rudy In­dars­ingh al­so said he wasn’t in T&T, as his daugh­ter was ac­cept­ed to a uni­ver­si­ty in Cana­da and he was there help­ing her set­tle in. UNC deputy leader David Lee and UNC chair­man Dave Tan­coo didn’t re­ply.

Yes­ter­day’s was the first “In­de­pen­dence free-up” in two years, since COVID re­stric­tions had “locked down” T&T in 2020 and last year.

Apart from of­fi­cial an­niver­sary func­tions by var­i­ous agen­cies, there was a huge gath­er­ing of peo­ple—clad in In­de­pen­dence red- in­clud­ing chil­dren, along Tra­garete Road, Port-of-Spain, from ear­ly.

They watched the pa­rade of mil­i­tary units and “zessed” to the mu­sic bands parad­ing from the QP Sa­van­nah to the St James bar­racks.

There was a Car­ni­val-like at­mos­phere, in­clud­ing with peo­ple lim­ing in the ar­eas be­tween Cipri­ani Boule­vard to French Street all day—some se­cur­ing ear­ly park­ing for last night’s fire­works event.

In down­town PoS, a num­ber of dri­vers on the PoS-San Fer­nan­do route sport­ed In­de­pen­dence red jer­seys.

How­ev­er, on so­cial me­dia, some peo­ple cir­cu­lat­ed a 60th In­de­pen­dence greet­ing meme with the “O” in “6O” por­trayed as a pot­hole.

Pri­or to last night’s fire­works event at the QPS—at a launch site oblique­ly op­po­site Pres­i­dent’s House—of­fi­cials of the near­by Em­per­or Val­ley Zoo were re­it­er­at­ing their hope that next year’s In­de­pen­dence cel­e­bra­tions are not held in such close prox­im­i­ty to the zoo. They ex­pressed the hope that the fire­works bill be­ing con­tem­plat­ed by Gov­ern­ment is passed by then and en­sures that fire­works dis­plays be at least 0.5 miles away from zoos, hos­pi­tals, nat­ur­al re­sources, parks and homes for the el­der­ly.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored