JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Scotland confirms talks with Chief Justice over state attorneys’ security concerns

by

Akash Samaroo
86 days ago
20250108

AKASH SAMA­ROO

Se­nior Re­porter

akash.sama­roo@cnc3.co.tt

Fol­low­ing a sec­ond meet­ing with the Chief Jus­tice and mem­bers of the Ju­di­cia­ry over safe­ty con­cerns ex­pressed by state pros­e­cu­tors, Min­is­ter Kei­th Scot­land con­firmed that dis­cus­sions with DPP Roger Gas­pard will next take place. 

Scot­land met with CJ Ivor Archie yes­ter­day at 1.30 pm af­ter at­tor­neys told the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions that they were so trau­ma­tised by the bru­tal mur­der of a for­mer col­league, spe­cial pros­e­cu­tor Ran­dall Hec­tor, that they were fear­ful for their own lives and un­able to fo­cus on work. 

On Mon­day at the PNM’s par­lia­men­tary re­treat in To­ba­go,  Guardian Me­dia at­tempt­ed to ask Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter, Fitzger­ald Hinds when he planned to meet with the Ju­di­cia­ry or DPP to dis­cuss those con­cerns. How­ev­er, he re­fused to an­swer the ques­tion. 

But yes­ter­day, Min­is­ter in the Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­istry, Kei­th Scot­land con­firmed that a meet­ing be­tween Hinds and the Ju­di­cia­ry took place last week. 

He said Tues­day’s meet­ing was a fol­low-up. 

“So, this was not the first and it will cer­tain­ly not be the last,” Scot­land said. 

He would not di­vulge what was dis­cussed.  

Scot­land said a meet­ing with DPP Gas­pard is next on the cards. 

Sources said at­tor­neys as­signed to the DPP’s of­fice had been ad­vo­cat­ing for all pros­e­cu­tors to re­ceive se­cu­ri­ty de­tails that were nor­mal­ly on­ly af­ford­ed to se­nior mem­bers of the de­part­ment and a risk al­lowance. 

“I will be reach­ing out to the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions as to any is­sues, be­cause as the Ho­n­ourable Prime Min­is­ter said, once it is rea­son­able and re­quests are met, we would look to see how best we can give as­sur­ances and as­sis­tance,” Scot­land con­firmed. 

He added, “I know this is a very test­ing time for him (Gas­pard) as Ran­dall Hec­tor worked un­der him as a pros­e­cu­tor in the past but I will be reach­ing out to him to en­sure that I car­ry out my man­date ef­fi­cient­ly.” 

Asked if he had any re­as­sur­ances to give the DPPs staff in the in­ter­im, Scot­land said, “I have a man­date, and I will be car­ry­ing it out and not in the pub­lic do­main. I will give them the mes­sage when I meet with the learned DPP and I will give them any mes­sages through him.” 

He al­so said that he wants every­one to know that the “Ho­n­ourable Prime Min­is­ter is a man of his word.” 

Hec­tor was mur­dered af­ter leav­ing the Sev­enth-Day Ad­ven­tist Church at Stan­more Av­enue in Port-of-Spain on De­cem­ber 31, 2024. This prompt­ed DPP Roger Gas­pard to write to Chief Jus­tice Ivor Archie high­light­ing the emo­tion­al state of his col­leagues. 

Gas­pard in­formed Archie that his staff would be ab­sent from courts across T&T for the re­main­der of that week. 

While at­tor­neys have ac­cept­ed there was no ev­i­dence yet to prove Hec­tor was tar­get­ed due to his role as a spe­cial pros­e­cu­tor, they said his mur­der still high­light­ed their se­cu­ri­ty con­cerns. 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored