KEJAN HAYNES
Lead Editor – Newsgathering
Pan on D’Avenue XII could be back on, just hours after organisers announced its cancellation.
Chairperson Ayana Garcia told Guardian Media new sponsors and previously approached companies are now coming forward with support for the August 30 Steelpan celebration.
Garcia said discussions are underway to meet the event’s remaining needs.
“Everything is coming together slowly but surely,” she said.
Asked whether the new support was coming from existing sponsors or new ones, Garcia said: “New ones. And ones we would’ve reached out to before and got no response. They are coming together now.”
The Woodbrook/St James Community Association announced the cancellation on Thursday, saying it had been unable to secure enough funding and infrastructure to stage the event along Ariapita Avenue.
The association had appealed to Government, corporate Trinidad and Tobago and others to help bridge the remaining gaps, including funding for steelbands and infrastructure such as roadways, sound, lighting and barriers.
Garcia had said the event could still be salvaged if people came forward with the necessary support.
That now appears to be happening.
The association has not yet formally announced that the event is back on, but Garcia said the discussions are continuing and support is growing.
Pan on D’Avenue XII was scheduled for August 30, after the Ministry of Culture announced its own pan event for Independence Day, August 31.
The annual event was founded by the late Councillor Cleveland Garcia, Ayana Garcia’s father, as a celebration aimed at bringing Steelpan, communities and generations together.
For now, the organisers are working against the clock to see whether the Gift to the Nation can return to the Avenue.
