JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Stakeholders ready for Tobago Carnival

by

206 days ago
20240910
File: Masqueraders from the band Blossom enjoy themselves as they take part in Tobago Carnival in October, 2023.

File: Masqueraders from the band Blossom enjoy themselves as they take part in Tobago Carnival in October, 2023.

SHASTRI BOODAN

Mere weeks away from To­ba­go’s car­ni­val, some bands on the is­land are up to 50 per cent sold out.

The car­ni­val, which will run from Oc­to­ber 25-27, is ex­pect­ed to wel­come thou­sands to the is­land.

Last year’s cel­e­bra­tion re­ceived rav­ing re­views from stake­hold­ers.

The Rox­glow Con­cert in Rox­bor­ough kick-start­ed the fes­tiv­i­ties, fol­lowed by the Rhythm, Steel, and Pow­der event in Scar­bor­ough host­ed by Pan Trin­ba­go.

The Vibes with Voice con­cert at the Shaw Park Cul­tur­al Com­plex was a ma­jor event that added to the rev­el­ry. The car­ni­val was deemed a suc­cess by the Trinidad and To­ba­go Cham­ber of In­dus­try and Com­merce, To­ba­go Di­vi­sion, and oth­er cul­tur­al stake­hold­ers.

How­ev­er, crit­i­cisms arose when Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion boss Win­ston “Gyp­sy” Pe­ters point­ed out miss­ing key el­e­ments in the car­ni­val, spark­ing anger among the THA and To­bag­o­ni­ans, who de­mand­ed re­trac­tions and apolo­gies.

Speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia, the pres­i­dent of the To­ba­go Oc­to­ber Car­ni­val As­so­ci­a­tion said across the board, bands are run­ning out of cos­tumes, with some re­port­ed­ly 90 per cent sold out.

“They are try­ing their best in terms of their in­di­vid­ual mar­ket­ing to make up for the short­fall of mar­ket­ing from the THA,” he said. “But bands are ready, push­ing to en­sure they at­tract the mas­quer­aders.”

There will be a press con­fer­ence to­mor­row af­ter­noon to an­nounce ma­jor plans for the up­com­ing To­ba­go Oc­to­ber Car­ni­val.

The joint press con­fer­ence will be host­ed at Shaw Park Com­plex with the TTPS and oth­er stake­hold­ers.

Just last week, the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly ap­point­ed a new To­ba­go Fes­ti­vals Com­mis­sion CEO. Con­tact­ed for com­ment, the new CEO, Kern Cow­an, said he has start­ed work and will re­lease plans soon.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored