JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

THTA wants more tourism measures

by

1637 days ago
20201010
A quiet Pigeon Point Beach in Tobago.

A quiet Pigeon Point Beach in Tobago.

CASWEL GORDON

The To­ba­go Ho­tel As­so­ci­a­tion wants more tourism stim­u­lus mea­sures

To­ba­go Ho­tel and Tourism As­so­ci­a­tion (TH­TA) says the 2021 fis­cal pack­age pre­sent­ed by Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert on Oc­to­ber 5 is “pru­dent and con­ser­v­a­tive,” giv­en the eco­nom­ic sit­u­a­tion brought on by COVID-19.

How­ev­er, they said it stopped short of in­tro­duc­ing all the nec­es­sary mea­sures, giv­en Prime Min­is­ter Kei­th Row­ley’s re­cent an­nounce­ment that Gov­ern­ment will fo­cus on tourism and agri­cul­ture to di­ver­si­fy the econ­o­my.

In a re­lease yes­ter­day, TH­TA rec­om­mend­ed the Gov­ern­ment take spe­cif­ic steps to stim­u­late fur­ther the tourism sec­tor.

It said it wel­comed the news that the Tourism Ac­com­mo­da­tion Up­grade Project will con­tin­ue un­til 2023.

In March, the ac­com­mo­da­tion sec­tor had to shut its doors be­cause in­ter­na­tion­al and then do­mes­tic bor­ders were closed. Dur­ing that time, the Gov­ern­ment gave them a $50 mil­lion grant to up­grade to their prop­er­ties.

TH­TA sug­gest­ed some of the funds be giv­en to the ac­com­mo­da­tion sec­tor to off­set debts as they had in­come for the first three months of the year and then in Ju­ly.

“The $50 mil­lion has al­ready been al­lo­cat­ed, and any re­main­ing funds should be made avail­able to qual­i­fied ap­pli­cants to pay off debts ac­crued dur­ing the pe­ri­od in which busi­ness­es were closed,” the as­so­ci­a­tion said in the re­lease.

It not­ed that many stake­hold­ers do not meet the cri­te­ria for the ac­com­mo­da­tion grant and thus can­not ac­cess it.

They said since March, when the grant fund­ing was an­nounced, on­ly 53 of the 422 list­ed prop­er­ties have ap­plied for it. Of the 53, “six prop­er­ties have re­ceived 50 per­cent of the grant funds, so far.”

The as­so­ci­a­tion rec­om­mend­ed the Gov­ern­ment con­sid­er the fol­low­ing mea­sures: ex­pand the Gov­ern­ment Loan Guar­an­tee Pro­gramme, give reg­is­tered To­ba­go tourism busi­ness­es a Val­ue Added Tax (VAT) ex­emp­tion for five years, make the is­land a Du­ty-Free Zone, and grant a COVID-19 Tax Re­lief.

The ho­tel group al­so wants the Ho­tel Tax Rev­enue used for mar­ket­ing and the Land Li­cence Or­der of Feb­ru­ary 2007, abol­ished.

The ho­tel as­so­ci­a­tion sug­gest­ed they be in­clud­ed in talks be­tween Min­is­ter Im­bert and Chief Sec­re­tary An­cil Den­nis.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored