JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Unions predict rough days ahead

by

Dareece Polo
561 days ago
20230920

The Oil­fields Work­ers Trade Union (OW­TU) ex­pects Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert to in­tro­duce aus­ter­i­ty mea­sures in the up­com­ing bud­get.

Speak­ing fol­low­ing the open­ing of the In­dus­tri­al Court’s 2023 to 2024 law term yes­ter­day, OW­TU Pres­i­dent Gen­er­al An­cel Ro­get warned cit­i­zens to brace for more tax­es.  

“We ex­pect more pres­sure, more prob­lems, more suf­fer­ing to the peo­ple of Trinidad and To­ba­go, prop­er­ty tax and so on, in­creased re­tire­ment age, in­creased fu­el price, we ex­pect all of those things,” he said.

Ro­get al­so lament­ed the Gov­ern­ment’s fail­ure to re­duce the cost of fu­el when glob­al en­er­gy prices fell. He said this would have in­creased the amount of dis­pos­able in­come in cit­i­zens’ pock­ets.  

“As the price of oil fell, what should have hap­pened is that the price of fu­el at the pumps should have fall­en be­cause that is how it op­er­ates in ju­ris­dic­tions that the Min­is­ter of Fi­nance point­ed us to as jus­ti­fi­ca­tion for rais­ing the price of fu­el. But not so in sweet Trinidad and To­ba­go un­der Im­bert,” he said.

Ro­get said the union stands be­hind its un­so­licit­ed bid to ac­quire the Pointe-a-Pierre re­fin­ery backed by 100 per cent fi­nanc­ing and a trained work­force. He was re­spond­ing to Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley who, at the post-Cab­i­net me­dia con­fer­ence last Thurs­day, said there was no fea­si­ble of­fer.

Ro­get blamed this re­fusal to ac­cept its of­fer for the short­age in for­eign ex­change.

“We are in a sit­u­a­tion now with a short­age, a very, very chron­ic short­age of for­eign ex­change, and that is as a re­sult of us not earn­ing forex be­cause we do not have a re­fin­ery to sell prod­ucts on the for­eign mar­ket. In­stead, we have to use our scarce for­eign ex­change to pur­chase prod­ucts and sell back here for Trinidad and To­ba­go,” he said.  

The OW­TU leader went on to im­ply that the pop­u­la­tion would voice their dis­sat­is­fac­tion at the polls which will be held by 2025.  

“It is when the work­ers recog­nise their worth, every­thing will change in this coun­try and that is com­ing soon,” he said.  

‘No re­lief’

The Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Work­ers Union (CWU) does not ex­pect the pop­u­la­tion to get any re­lief once the bud­get is read. Sec­re­tary Gen­er­al Clyde El­der said cit­i­zens might be forced to once again tight­en their belts.

“This bud­get is not go­ing to be a work­er-friend­ly bud­get, sim­ply be­cause there is still at least one or two more bud­gets be­fore the elec­tion. So, this bud­get, I ex­pect, is go­ing to be a more tough bud­get than the last year may be,” he said.

El­der hopes the Gov­ern­ment pri­ori­tis­es health care, roads, se­cu­ri­ty, and ed­u­ca­tion. He al­so urged Im­bert to in­crease the min­i­mum wage, which cur­rent­ly stands at $17.50.

Gen­er­al Sec­re­tary of the Na­tion­al Trade Union Cen­tre of Trinidad and To­ba­go (NATUC) Michael An­nisette said he doubt­ed there would be any con­sid­er­a­tion of its “crit­i­cal pro­pos­als” in the bud­get.

He said he “has an is­sue with bud­gets” af­ter pre­vi­ous­ly mak­ing rec­om­men­da­tions for em­ploy­ment gen­er­a­tion, di­ver­si­fi­ca­tion of the econ­o­my, and de­vel­op­ing the mar­itime sec­tor, all of which have not been im­ple­ment­ed.

“Why should I go to dis­cuss a bud­get if the Gov­ern­ment, while they talk about con­sul­ta­tion, is not gen­uine in the sense that they have a fix­a­tion in terms of where they want to go and I haven’t seen any­one be­ing able to change their think­ing and their minds,” he said.

An­nisette said the bud­get should be peo­ple-cen­tred with at­ten­tion placed on re­duc­ing pover­ty, in­come in­equal­i­ty, and wealth in­equal­i­ty.  

He once again de­nounced the pro­pos­al for a four per cent wage in­crease for pub­lic sec­tor em­ploy­ees over four years.

“I will con­tin­ue to say no to the four per cent over four years be­cause it does not ad­dress the so­cial is­sues and the fi­nan­cial is­sues that are af­fect­ing gov­ern­ment em­ploy­ees in Trinidad and To­ba­go,” he said.

An­nisette stat­ed that the gov­ern­ment should re­con­sid­er that po­si­tion since the pri­vate sec­tor of­fered around ten per cent over the same pe­ri­od.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored