JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Wife of missing rig worker still remains hopeful

by

91 days ago
20250103
Candacy Phillip, the wife of Pete Phillip

Candacy Phillip, the wife of Pete Phillip

INNIS FRANCIS

RAD­HI­CA DE SIL­VA

Se­nior Mul­ti­me­dia Re­porter

rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

With the search for her hus­band Pe­te Phillip tem­porar­i­ly halt­ed, preg­nant wife, Can­da­cy Phillip con­tin­ues to face the new year with hope.

Her fifth child, Ja­son, is ex­pect­ed in Feb­ru­ary, and Can­da­cy said she now had to make the fi­nal prepa­ra­tions in­de­pen­dent­ly.

Speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia, Can­da­cy shared that Ja­son’s birth was not the on­ly cel­e­bra­tion she and Phillip had planned, as they would have al­so cel­e­brat­ed their 17th wed­ding an­niver­sary this month.

“All I want is clo­sure and for them to find him,” she ex­plained.

She added that Phillip had al­ways worked in the oil in­dus­try and had over 23 years of ex­pe­ri­ence as a rig work­er. Their four chil­dren, aged three to 13, had al­ways been Phillip’s fo­cus, and Can­da­cy said she was fear­ful of how she would care for all of them if Phillip was nev­er found.

“It is hard with­out him. I am pray­ing every day. I am liv­ing with hope,” she added.

On Mon­day, of­fi­cials at Well Ser­vices in­formed her that the search and re­cov­ery op­er­a­tions had been tem­porar­i­ly halt­ed. She gave thanks that, de­spite the stress, her un­born ba­by was do­ing well.

Well Ser­vices, in a state­ment, said ad­di­tion­al safe­ty mea­sures were be­ing im­ple­ment­ed for all per­son­nel in­volved in the search and re­cov­ery op­er­a­tions. The com­pa­ny stat­ed that ex­perts would as­sess the area and take the nec­es­sary pre­cau­tions to en­sure the safe­ty of all per­son­nel in­volved.

Phillip, 47, went miss­ing af­ter part of the deck from Rig 110, owned by Well Ser­vices Pe­tro­le­um Com­pa­ny Ltd, col­lapsed in the Gulf of Paria around 3 am on De­cem­ber 22.

Her­itage Off­shore East Field has since been de­clared a dan­ger­ous site, and ac­cess is now pro­hib­it­ed.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored