JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Boy, 9, dies after being discharged from hospital

by

609 days ago
20230803
Nine-year-old Jace Paul

Nine-year-old Jace Paul

Se­nior Re­porter

sascha.wil­son@guardian.co.tt

The moth­er of a nine-year-old boy, who died less than three hours af­ter be­ing dis­charged from the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal, is claim­ing neg­li­gence by med­ical per­son­nel.

“He did not get to wear his new sneak­ers to go to school. He did not get to see his new friends in Stan­dard Two. He would not get to see a Christ­mas. He would not get to see my birth­day. He would not get to see any­thing be­cause he is dead,” said Shanel Paul dur­ing an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day.

In re­sponse, how­ev­er, the South West Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty (SWRHA) said that based on their pre­lim­i­nary find­ings, it was sat­is­fied that all stan­dard pro­to­cols were ad­hered to.

Jace, a pupil of San Fer­nan­do Boys’ Gov­ern­ment, was dis­charged from the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal around 1 pm on Wednes­day af­ter he had been ward­ed for 14 days, and treat­ed for bron­chi­tis and a chest in­fec­tion.

An ini­tial po­lice re­port stat­ed that around 2.15 pm he be­gan vom­it­ing blood while at his home at Ol­era Heights, San Fer­nan­do, and with­in an hour he passed away. When the po­lice ar­rived at his home, he was ly­ing in blood, with blood around his nose and mouth. There were no marks of vi­o­lence on his body.

“I was not ex­pect­ing my child to be a dead child yes­ter­day. I ex­pect­ed that he would have come home, and he would have been good, but he was not good at all,” Paul said.

Jace suf­fered from Type 1 Di­a­betes. He was her on­ly child. She re­called that with­in the last month, he was ward­ed twice at the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal and once at the Er­ic Williams Med­ical Sci­ences Com­plex. She be­lieves that her son’s ail­ment was not prop­er­ly di­ag­nosed.

She claimed he was di­ag­nosed with bron­chi­tis, a chest in­fec­tion and pneu­mo­nia and treat­ed with mul­ti­ple med­ica­tions, in­clud­ing sev­er­al an­tibi­otics. She said on Ju­ly 1, she took him to the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal af­ter he com­plained about chest pains.

She said they be­gan treat­ing him with an­tibi­otics and oth­er med­ica­tion. How­ev­er, the moth­er said she was not sat­is­fied with the treat­ment he was re­ceiv­ing, so she dis­charged him, and took him to Er­ic Williams Med­ical Sci­ence Com­plex where he was ward­ed from Ju­ly 9 to Ju­ly 14.

Days af­ter his dis­charge, she said he be­gan vom­it­ing blood, and she rushed him to the San Fer­nan­do hos­pi­tal.

“They put him in re­cess as nor­mal. He was in pain, then af­ter two to three hours they trans­ferred him up­stairs. She said they put him on more an­tibi­otics and oth­er med­ica­tion.

“One minute was a tear in his throat, and the next minute was his stom­ach that was caus­ing the bleed­ing, so they did not know what was go­ing on.”

She added, “When he keep bring­ing up the blood in the cup. I keep show­ing them the piles that he bring up.”

Paul claimed they were on­ly pump­ing him with med­ica­tion.

“All they did was take an X-ray, no ul­tra­sound, no ECG, no blood trans­fu­sion, noth­ing,” she claimed.

She re­called that when he was dis­charged on Wednes­day, he was in “se­mi good” con­di­tion. She said not long af­ter they got home, he start­ed vom­it­ing blood.

“He just start­ed to bring up blood through his nose and his mouth. I rushed him to the sink in the bath­room, and that was it. He brought up his stom­ach lin­ing every­thing lit­er­al­ly came out,” she said.

In a brief state­ment, SWRHA said a pre­lim­i­nary re­port was gen­er­at­ed yes­ter­day, and a fur­ther case re­view is un­der­way by their Qual­i­ty Im­prove­ment De­part­ment.

“How­ev­er, based on de­tails ob­tained thus far, the SWRHA is sat­is­fied that all stan­dard pro­to­cols were ad­hered to,” stat­ed SWRHA. The au­thor­i­ty ex­pressed its deep con­do­lences and com­mis­er­at­ed with the rel­a­tives.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored