JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Ex-Petrotrin employees protest outside AG’s office

by

680 days ago
20230524
Former Petrotrin employees, including retirees, protest outside Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs on Richmond Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

Former Petrotrin employees, including retirees, protest outside Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs on Richmond Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

KERWIN PIERRE

Se­nior Re­porter

kevon.felmine@guardian.co.tt

Some for­mer Petrotrin em­ploy­ees left the In­dus­tri­al Court in San Fer­nan­do un­hap­py on Wednes­day morn­ing, while oth­ers pick­et­ed the Min­istry of the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al and Le­gal Af­fairs of­fice around the same time —up­set that the court had ad­journed their med­ical and re­tire­ment plan mat­ter.

Last week, for­mer Petrotrin em­ploy­ees, in­clud­ing re­tirees, at­tend­ed a meet­ing at Guaracara Park, Pointe-a-Pierre, where they made plans to fill the Irv­ing Street, San Fer­nan­do site, as the Oil­fields Work­ers’ Trade Union (OW­TU) bat­tled their for­mer em­ploy­er in the In­dus­tri­al Court.

But last Fri­day, OW­TU’s at­tor­neys in­formed the ex­ec­u­tive that the court had stayed that mat­ter un­til an ap­peal by Petrotrin, in an­oth­er case, fin­ish­es.

Singing union songs out­side the build­ing in Port-of-Spain yes­ter­day, the for­mer work­ers called on At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Regi­nald Ar­mour to al­low a speedy hear­ing of the court mat­ters.

OW­TU se­nior labour re­la­tions of­fi­cer, Gre­go­ry Marchan, said the State, through Ar­mour, was play­ing games with for­mer em­ploy­ees. He said years af­ter Petrotrin ter­mi­nat­ed its work­force, they were still wait­ing to deal with the med­ical and pen­sion ben­e­fits mat­ters in court.

“We are here to ask the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al to put some kind of speed, some kind of agen­da in place to have our mat­ters heard at the In­dus­tri­al Court,” Marchan said.

He said the for­mer work­ers would con­tin­ue and ex­pand their protests if Ar­mour does not ac­cede to their de­mand.

For­mer em­ploy­ee David Har­ry, said al­though Petrotrin ter­mi­nat­ed him in 2018 along with his col­leagues, he was now at re­tire­ment age.

He said dur­ing their tenure at the com­pa­ny, they signed and con­tributed to med­ical and pen­sion plans, which they should still get.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored