JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Family searching for young butcher suspected to be lost at sea

by

Radhica De Silva
1274 days ago
20211007

 

Young butch­er Zaid Al­ladin was nev­er known to fre­quent the sea, much less to take the per­ilous jour­ney from Trinidad to Venezuela.

 So how did he end up ship­wrecked along Bo­ca de la Ser­pi­ente—a treach­er­ous strait ly­ing be­tween Ica­cos Point in south­west Trinidad and the north coast of Venezuela.

This is what his el­der broth­er Faizie Al­ladin wants to find out. 

Walk­ing along the de­sert­ed beach at Gran Chemin, Moru­ga, with his wife Veena yes­ter­day, Al­ladin said he did not know if Zaid, 26, was dead or alive. Al­ladin is al­so un­sure whether Zaid was even part of the ship­wreck at the Bo­ca de la Ser­pi­ente.

“We don’t know what is go­ing on. No­body has been telling us any­thing. All we know is that to­day makes it eight days since he dis­ap­peared,” Al­ladin ex­plained.

He said his younger broth­er was a butch­er by pro­fes­sion and al­so sup­plied gas to fish­er­folk in Moru­ga.

“He used to be trans­port­ing gas for whoso­ev­er own the boat. The con­tain­ers were al­ways in the back of his van. I nev­er know him to be leav­ing Trinidad to go to Venezuela. We don’t know what hap­pened. We not hear­ing any­thing. We are try­ing to find out,” Al­ladin said.

Dis­traught and feel­ing emp­ty, Al­ladin went to the rel­a­tives of Rishi “Short­man” See­lochan, 38, and Vi­jayanand “Pro­mo” Too­phanie, 40, who are al­so miss­ing at sea, but their rel­a­tives had no in­for­ma­tion to give.

“We have been ask­ing boat­men about what hap­pened. They say­ing they do not know any­thing. I have a part­ner by the ice fac­to­ry, he told me to buy gas and we will make a tour to search, but I nev­er ride a boat and I am not go­ing out at sea,” Al­ladin said.

He not­ed that the T&T Coast Guard had is­sued a state­ment last week say­ing a boat had sunk with Trinida­di­ans and Venezue­lans but he was not sure if Al­ladin was part of that crew.

“I hear­ing ru­mours but we have noth­ing from the of­fi­cial chan­nel,” he said.

Al­ladin said there were al­so re­ports that four Venezue­lans, in­clud­ing a four-year-old child, had died at sea but that too is un­ver­i­fied.

“We just want some clo­sure. We need to find out what hap­pened,” Al­ladin said.

His wife Veena called on the au­thor­i­ties to find out.

“We are call­ing on the Min­istry of For­eign Af­fairs to li­aise with the Venezue­lan Con­sulate to find out what hap­pened,” she added. 

Ear­li­er this week, Venezue­lan me­dia El Per­iódi­co del Delta, from Tu­cu­pi­ta, re­port­ed that two peo­ple, in­clud­ing a Trinida­di­an man, were res­cued by mem­bers of the in­dige­nous Warao tribe.

The re­port said Luis Gómez and Er­ic Rosario had been spot­ted float­ing at sea hold­ing on to a large plas­tic con­tain­er. They said they left Trinidad in a boat on Sep­tem­ber 29 with 17 peo­ple on board. Two bod­ies have al­so been found but there are no con­firmed iden­ti­ties. 

On Sun­day, the T&T Coast Guard stat­ed that a ves­sel had left Trinidad on Oc­to­ber 1 with 25 peo­ple on board. That boat is be­lieved to have sunk in Venezue­lan wa­ters. Twen­ty peo­ple were still miss­ing but there was no con­fir­ma­tion that Zaid, See­lochan or Too­phanie were on board. 

Any­one with in­fo can con­tact Crimestop­pers at 800-TIPS.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored