JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Guyanese advisor who attacked PM on vaccines stands behind statements 

by

1385 days ago
20210619

SHAR­LENE RAM­PER­SAD

 

Dr Leslie Ram­sam­my, the Guyanese doc­tor who launched a scathing at­tack on Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley on Thurs­day says his state­ments were made on his own be­half and main­tains he’s stand­ing by them.

On Thurs­day, Ram­sam­my, an ad­vi­sor to the Min­istry of Health in Guyana, sent an opin­ion piece to Guyanese me­dia hous­es, la­belling Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley as reck­less and out of line.

He claimed Dr Row­ley in­sult­ed Guyana and 74 oth­er coun­tries where the Russ­ian-made Sput­nik vac­cine is used.

He re­ferred to state­ments made by Dr Row­ley on June 12, where the Prime Min­is­ter claimed T&T had the best vac­cine pro­gramme in the Cari­com.

“In de­fend­ing the vac­cine fi­as­co in his coun­try, Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley, un­wit­ting­ly or de­lib­er­ate­ly, im­plied that Guyana’s suc­cess­ful vac­ci­na­tion pro­gram so far is an il­lu­sion be­cause Guyana uti­lized vac­cines not ap­proved for use. He boast­ed that Trinidad and To­ba­go has the most vac­cine dos­es al­ready in the coun­try than any oth­er coun­try in CARI­COM, ex­cept Guyana, but that Guyana’s vac­cines do not count since they are not ap­proved,” Ram­sam­my wrote.

He said the Prime Min­is­ter could try to change the nar­ra­tive of T&T’s vac­cine pro­gramme but not at Guyana’s ex­pense.

“First of all, at the time Trinidad and To­ba­go’s Prime Min­is­ter stat­ed that Trinidad and To­ba­go had with­in their coun­try 234,000 dos­es of vac­cines, Guyana had in our pos­ses­sion 465,000 dos­es of vac­cines, twice the amount of dos­es that Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley’s coun­try had,” Ram­sam­my wrote.

How­ev­er, he said the num­ber of vac­cines was not the im­por­tant point, as he ac­cused Row­ley of ques­tion­ing the le­git­i­ma­cy of the vac­cines be­ing used by Guyana.

“Let me make it clear – all the vac­cines in use in Guyana were reg­is­tered and ap­proved for use by Guyana’s Food and Drug An­a­lyst De­part­ment. Those reg­is­tra­tions and ap­provals are not au­to­mat­ic. They are based on a num­ber of con­sid­er­a­tions and a process Guyana has used for decades. It is the same process that saved thou­sands of lives when we reg­is­tered In­di­an-pro­duced and lo­cal­ly-pro­duced HIV med­i­cines.”

Guardian Me­dia sent ques­tions to Ram­sam­my via email, ask­ing whether his state­ments re­flect the views of the Guyanese Health Min­istry. Ram­sam­my was al­so told that T&T’s Min­istry of For­eign and CARI­COM Af­fairs de­nied the Prime Min­is­ter made the state­ments at­trib­uted to him by Ram­sam­my.

In his re­sponse, Ram­sam­my said, “I speak on my own be­half. I stand by my state­ment.”

Guardian Me­dia al­so sent ques­tions to Guyana’s Health Min­is­ter Dr Frank An­tho­ny by send­ing ques­tions via What­sApp. An­tho­ny read the ques­tions but up to press time, he had not re­spond­ed. 

The George­town Cham­ber of Com­merce and In­dus­try (GC­CI) al­so joined the for­ay, as it is­sued a press re­lease slam­ming Row­ley and Guyana’s Op­po­si­tion Par­ty.

“We al­so note, with con­cern, the re­cent pos­tur­ing by the Chair­man of CARI­COM, Dr Kei­th Row­ley, im­ply­ing that the vac­ci­na­tions, which are be­ing giv­en to Guyanese, are un­safe. This comes as no sur­prise as Dr Row­ley ful­fils his his­tor­i­cal trait of demon­strat­ing scant re­gard for the lives of Guyanese. We find these ef­forts by the Leader of the Op­po­si­tion of Guyana and the chair­man of CARI­COM to be ut­ter­ly rep­re­hen­si­ble, cal­lous and ir­re­spon­si­ble and con­demn these ef­forts to score cheap po­lit­i­cal points,” the Cham­ber said in a re­lease.

In its re­sponse yes­ter­day, the Min­istry of For­eign and CARI­COM Af­fairs de­fend­ed the Prime Min­is­ter.

The re­lease la­belled Ram­sam­my’s com­ments as mis­lead­ing, dis­re­spect­ful and po­ten­tial­ly dam­ag­ing while call­ing the Cham­ber’s com­ments rep­re­hen­si­ble and slan­der­ous.

“The com­ments and state­ment at­tempt to as­so­ciate Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley with views which he does not hold and which he has nev­er ex­pressed. It is note­wor­thy that in his pub­lished com­men­tary Dr Ram­sam­my could of­fer not one sin­gle quo­ta­tion from the Prime Min­is­ter to sup­port his false al­le­ga­tions, nor did Dr Ram­sam­my of­fer a shred of ev­i­dence to sup­port his mis­lead­ing claims,” the re­lease stat­ed.

It went on to say that at no time did the Prime Min­is­ter dis­par­age Guyana’s vac­cine pro­gramme nor im­ply the vac­cines be­ing used by its CARI­COM neigh­bour were un­safe.

At the press con­fer­ence on June 12, the Prime Min­is­ter made the fol­low­ing state­ment af­ter apol­o­gis­ing to the na­tion for the first-come, first-serve vac­cine fi­as­co.

“The on­ly coun­try in CARI­COM that has re­ceived in­to its bor­ders, more vac­cines than Trinidad and To­ba­go is Guyana. And the rea­son for that, is that Guyana took a de­ci­sion which we did not take, I’ve raised that on this plat­form be­fore but I’ll raise it again, the Guyana Gov­ern­ment took a de­ci­sion that Trinidad and To­ba­go did not take and that was ear­ly in the pro­ceed­ings to use vac­cines that were not ap­proved by the World Health Or­gan­i­sa­tion. As a re­sult of that, Guyana had a larg­er vol­ume of vac­cines avail­able, we did not par­tic­i­pate in that and that ex­plains it.  So if one is look­ing at WHO ap­proved vac­cines, it would be clear that Trinidad and To­ba­go, got with­in its bor­ders, more vac­cines than any oth­er CARI­COM coun­try,” the Prime Min­is­ter said at that time.

Pro­fes­sor of In­ter­na­tion­al Re­la­tions at the Uni­ver­si­ty of Al­ber­ta, Cana­da, Pro­fes­sor Andy Knight told Guardian Me­dia the en­tire ex­change was un­called for.

He al­so said the Prime Min­is­ter’s state­ments about the vac­cines used in Guyana were used with­out the World Health Or­gan­i­sa­tion’s ap­proval was a ‘bit mis­lead­ing.’

“Those vac­cines that Guyana re­ceived ear­ly in the year were made avail­able through a part­ner­ship be­tween the Coali­tion for Epi­dem­ic Pre­pared­ness In­no­va­tions (CEPI), Gavi, the Vac­cine Al­liance, the Pan Amer­i­can Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion/World Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion (PA­HO/WHO) and the Unit­ed Na­tions Chil­dren’s Fund (UNICEF). Thus, while tech­ni­cal­ly one can make the case that these vac­cines were not di­rect­ly ap­proved by WHO (most vac­cines around that time were still un­der­go­ing tri­als) the fact is that this first ship­ment of vac­cines to Guyana was de­liv­ered with the bless­ings of PA­HO/WHO,” Knight said.

He said if the Prime Min­is­ter want­ed to make the point that T&T has more vac­cines that have tech­ni­cal­ly ap­proved by the WHO, he could have done so with­out im­ply­ing that Guyana’s larg­er amount of vac­cine was be­cause some of their vac­cine ship­ments were not tech­ni­cal­ly yet on the WHO’s ap­proved list.

“To me this is an un­nec­es­sary ar­gu­ment to make just to prove that ‘we have more WHO-ap­proved vac­cines than the oth­er guy.’ It’s undiplo­mat­ic. It’s un­nec­es­sary. Even the of­fi­cials at WHO would rec­og­nize that back in Jan­u­ary 2021 Guyana did the right thing to pro­cure as many COVID-19 vac­cines as pos­si­ble to try to stop the spread of the pan­dem­ic,” Knight said.

Knight said he hopes the ‘undiplo­mat­ic’ ex­change will not hurt re­la­tions be­tween the two coun­tries.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored