JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Hinds: No outstanding massive requests from fire service

by

Kejan Haynes
906 days ago
20221011
National Security Minister Fitzgerald Hinds

National Security Minister Fitzgerald Hinds

Ke­jan Haynes

Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Fitzger­ald Hinds says he has "no out­stand­ing and mas­sive re­quests" from the Trinidad and To­ba­go Fire Ser­vice for equip­ment or ve­hi­cles. Hinds was speak­ing to re­porters at the launch of Fire Aware­ness Week on the Bri­an Lara Prom­e­nade yes­ter­day. Hinds was asked to re­spond, in front of the Act­ing Chief Fire Of­fi­cer, to per­sis­tent com­plaints from the Fire Ser­vices As­so­ci­a­tion that they lack the nec­es­sary equip­ment to do their jobs ef­fec­tive­ly.

The as­so­ci­a­tion of­ten com­plains of a lack of per­son­al pro­tec­tive equip­ment and many sta­tions go with­out fire ten­ders for ex­tend­ed pe­ri­ods of time.

Hinds said there will al­ways be a call or a need for more re­sources but the gov­ern­ment is con­strained by "rev­enue, and by ex­pen­di­ture pat­terns.”

He said he takes re­quests for equip­ment and for train­ing from the fire ser­vice, par­tic­u­lar­ly se­ri­ous­ly and treats them with ur­gency.

Hinds said, “Re­cent­ly, (April 2022) we en­gaged in re­pair­ing some of the breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus kits that re­quired re­pairs. And re­cent­ly the cab­i­net agreed. And we are in the process of procur­ing some brand spank­ing new ones to en­sure that our men and women out there fight­ing fires and oth­er emer­gen­cies on our be­half would be well tooled, and well equipped in or­der to do the busi­ness.”

He al­so said gov­ern­ment re­paired hy­draulic lifts on some of the ten­ders and promised new, cus­tom ve­hi­cles have been or­dered.

“There is, on or­der now re­quests and ac­tu­al­ly mon­ey paid in ad­vance, and they are now be­ing man­u­fac­tured, some spe­cial­ly built ve­hi­cles, fire ten­ders for spe­cif­ic pur­pos­es,” He said.

Gov­ern­ment al­lo­cat­ed $3.25 mil­lion in the 2023 Bud­get for main­te­nance and re­pair of ve­hi­cles and equip­ment for the Fire Ser­vice.

Act­ing Chief Fire Of­fi­cer Andy Hutchin­son en­dorsed the min­is­ter’s state­ments say­ing gov­ern­ment did, in fact, pro­vide the nec­es­sary fi­nanc­ing to pur­chase equip­ment. He said of­fi­cers are work­ing with the Min­is­ter and the Per­ma­nent Sec­re­tary of the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty.

“Hav­ing said that, we are com­mit­ted to giv­ing this coun­try the best ser­vice that we can with what we have,” he said. "Our of­fi­cers are high­ly trained and they work ef­fec­tive­ly and ef­fi­cient­ly at all times. “

MP for Ma­yaro Rush­ton Paray crit­i­cised Hinds last week say­ing he has re­fused to com­mit to pro­vid­ing a fire ten­der at Rio Claro.

“The Rio Claro Fire Sta­tion has been with­out a ten­der for al­most a year, and I have made re­peat­ed rep­re­sen­ta­tions for the pro­vi­sion of this crit­i­cal ap­pli­ance,” Paray said in a re­lease. “The Min­is­ter’s re­fusal has tak­en place de­spite the de­struc­tion of two homes and the dam­age to a busi­ness place in re­cent fires. “

Hinds said the case has al­ways been that if there was a short­age, the fire ser­vice al­lo­cates re­sources as nec­es­sary.

“I in­di­cat­ed to the Mem­ber of Par­lia­ment that you have, for ex­am­ple, in that East­ern area, you have Grande you have Ma­yaro, you have Rio Claro. We have Princes Town and there will be ten­ders de­ployed to those. And the idea is to re­spond quick­ly from those sta­tions to a par­tic­u­lar lo­cal­i­ty, for ex­am­ple, Ma­yaro if one is not now avail­able,” Hinds said.

He said he and the Chief Fire Of­fi­cer have worked to­geth­er in To­co to pro­vide train­ing for peo­ple in that area to be­come aux­il­iary fire of­fi­cers so they can re­spond to in­ci­dents first be­fore the oth­er of­fi­cers from ma­jor sta­tions can ar­rive.

Guardian Me­dia reached out to Pres­i­dent of the Fire Ser­vices As­so­ci­a­tion Leo Ramkissoon to re­spond to the Min­is­ter’s claims there are no more out­stand­ing re­quests. He said Act­ing Chief Fire of­fi­cer Hutchin­son was ac­cu­rate in his state­ments that fire of­fi­cers have been op­er­at­ing hero­ical­ly in util­is­ing the re­sources they do have to serve the pub­lic but he said the re­al­i­ty is, they are in a state of Cri­sis.

He said sev­en fire sta­tions out of 25 do not have a fire ten­der.

“To cav­a­lier­ly say that still that trucks from oth­er sta­tions out­side the di­vi­sion re­spec­tive di­vi­sions have to re­spond to those sta­tion grounds with no fire truck as if to say there is no is­sue with the time it takes for that to take place and the lives that could be lost on the prop­er­ty that could be dam­aged is re­al­ly a mat­ter of rhetoric and pub­lic re­la­tions stunts,” Ramkissoon said.

He said he ac­knowl­edged that the min­is­ter did in fact give a com­mit­ment and while he be­lieves that he has not giv­en not true of the cri­sis in the ser­vice, he is l giv­ing him the ben­e­fit of the doubt that the gov­ern­ment is try­ing to ad­dress the sit­u­a­tion.

Trinidad and Tobago Fire ServiceFitzgerald HindsFire Service


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored