JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Mayaro MP wants more resources to fight crime

by

Kevon Felmine
498 days ago
20231123

With a Ma­yaro fam­i­ly still shak­en af­ter armed crim­i­nals in po­lice and army uni­forms vi­o­lent­ly robbed them at their home ear­li­er this week, Ma­yaro MP Rush­ton Paray said yes­ter­day that there is an ur­gent need for ad­di­tion­al re­sources to en­sure safe­ty and se­cu­ri­ty in south-east­ern com­mu­ni­ties.

The 37-year-old sus­pect held for the rob­bery, a Reg­i­ment pri­vate at­tached to the Cu­mu­to base who was as­signed to the Ma­yaro Po­lice Sta­tion for joint pa­trol du­ty, re­mained in cus­tody yes­ter­day and is await­ing an in­ter­view from the in­ves­ti­gat­ing team led by ASP Jan­kee, In­sp Ma­habir and Sgt Mo­hammed.

The pri­vate was on tem­po­rary du­ty at the Ma­yaro sta­tion. His ar­rest came af­ter one of his al­leged vic­tims went to the sta­tion to give a state­ment and saw him there in his army uni­form.

Ma­yaro po­lice do not be­lieve the ban­dits in po­lice tac­ti­cal wear were of­fi­cers but crim­i­nals who got their hands on uni­forms.

The fam­i­ly re­fused to speak to the me­dia about their or­deal yes­ter­day, say­ing they had been no­ti­fied by the po­lice not to di­vulge any in­for­ma­tion on what tran­spired to the me­dia.

In a me­dia state­ment yes­ter­day, how­ev­er, Paray said an uptick in home in­va­sions, rob­beries and as­saults in­di­cate a wor­ry­ing es­ca­la­tion in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ties in Ma­yaro and near­by com­mu­ni­ties.

He said re­gions once known for their tran­quil­li­ty are now ex­pe­ri­enc­ing in­creased threats from armed crim­i­nals, pos­ing risks to all res­i­dents, in­clud­ing vul­ner­a­ble groups like the el­der­ly, women and chil­dren. He said there had been a no­tice­able and alarm­ing in­crease in the crime rate over the past few months.

He said he be­lieves more of­fi­cers, ve­hi­cles and CCTV cam­eras will aid in more ef­fec­tive pa­trolling and quick­er re­spons­es. He al­so wants po­lice posts along the east­ern coast and spe­cif­ic dis­tricts.

“The laid-back and hos­pitable na­ture of the com­mu­ni­ty mem­bers, tra­di­tion­al­ly a point of pride, may in­ad­ver­tent­ly make these ar­eas more sus­cep­ti­ble to crim­i­nal el­e­ments. This rise in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ties is rapid­ly trans­form­ing Ma­yaro in­to a re­gion of con­cern, im­pact­ing both its res­i­dents and rep­u­ta­tion as a wel­com­ing des­ti­na­tion for tourists, both do­mes­tic and in­ter­na­tion­al,” Paray said.

He thanked the Ma­yaro po­lice for their on­go­ing ef­forts and called on au­thor­i­ties to in­ten­si­fy law en­force­ment ini­tia­tives to pro­tect the peo­ple, busi­ness own­ers and vis­i­tors.

While Paray sees an uptick in crime, sta­tis­tics from the Crime and Prob­lem Analy­sis unit of the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice show there were 108 se­ri­ous crimes, like mur­ders, shoot­ings, wound­ings, sex­u­al of­fences and rob­beries, in the Ma­yaro dis­trict up to Tues­day. It is a re­duc­tion from the 149 re­port­ed for the same pe­ri­od last year. There is an 81 per cent de­tec­tion rate for se­ri­ous crime in Ma­yaro and 60 per cent for the East­ern Di­vi­sion. There was al­so a re­duc­tion in prop­er­ty crimes like rob­beries, break-ins and bur­glar­ies.

Snr Supt Ryan Khan yes­ter­day said Ma­yaro faces chal­lenges like every oth­er com­mu­ni­ty with a grow­ing pop­u­la­tion and chang­ing dy­nam­ics. Khan said the po­lice are al­so adapt­ing and im­prov­ing an­ti-crime mea­sures.

“Yes, there are chal­lenges in every com­mu­ni­ty at this time. We have ded­i­cat­ed po­lice of­fi­cers in Ma­yaro who want to see the dis­trict safer and have a bet­ter qual­i­ty for all cit­i­zens of Ma­yaro and, by ex­ten­sion, the East­ern Di­vi­sion. We work close­ly with com­mu­ni­ties,” Khan said.

A po­lice re­port stat­ed that the fam­i­ly, who owns a hard­ware, was at home in Mafek­ing Vil­lage at 4.55 pm on Mon­day when a black SUV with blue swiv­el lights pulled up.

Six men, one in plain clothes, two in po­lice tac­ti­cal wear and three in army uni­forms, got out of the SUV. Two had firearms. The men ap­proached the house and told the 47-year-old home­own­er that they were in­ves­ti­gat­ing a re­port of a house fire and had come for sur­veil­lance footage. The home­own­er al­lowed the men in­side, where his wife, 44, and son, 23, were. How­ev­er, the men then an­nounced a rob­bery and bound the fam­i­ly’s hands and feet be­fore rob­bing them of gold jew­ellery, cash, mo­bile phones and their Dig­i­tal Video Recorder. The men left in the SUV.

As the fam­i­ly was at the Ma­yaro sta­tion to give a state­ment, one of the vic­tims saw the pri­vate. He told the in­ves­ti­ga­tor, who then ques­tioned and de­tained the sol­dier.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors are still search­ing for the oth­ers in­volved.

Po­lice Com­plaints Au­thor­i­ty (PCA) Di­rec­tor David West yes­ter­day said there will be an in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the al­leged in­volve­ment of po­lice of­fi­cers. West said the PCA will in­ter­view civil­ians and ob­tain copies of po­lice re­ports.

“The PCA has ini­ti­at­ed an in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the ar­ti­cles in the Trinidad Guardian and News­day con­cern­ing the sol­dier iden­ti­fied as re­port­ed for joint pa­trols at the Ma­yaro Po­lice Sta­tion,” West said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored