JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Police put suspected gang leaders under house arrest in SoE initiative

by

85 days ago
20250109

Jensen La Vende

Se­nior Re­porter

jensen.lavende@guardian.co.tt

Po­lice have placed some sus­pect­ed gang mem­bers held dur­ing the on­go­ing State of Emer­gency (SoE) un­der house ar­rest as they con­tin­ue to tar­get those they have iden­ti­fied as pri­or­i­ty of­fend­ers.

Dur­ing a me­dia brief­ing yes­ter­day, ACP in charge of Ad­min­is­tra­tion and Op­er­a­tions, Richard Smith, said while he could not iden­ti­fy and give sta­tis­tics about all of those con­fined to their homes, one man, who was once charged with be­ing a gang leader, is al­so now un­der house ar­rest.

Calvin “Tyson” Lee, who lives at Clifton Hill Tow­ers, St Paul Street, East Port-of-Spain, was ar­rest­ed on De­cem­ber 30, mo­ments af­ter the SoE was an­nounced and was re­leased eight days lat­er. Dur­ing his time in cus­tody, he was de­tained at the Bel­mont Po­lice Sta­tion and was not ques­tioned up to his re­lease.

Smith, when asked about Lee’s de­ten­tion, said: “Mr Lee was re­leased. How­ev­er, he is cur­rent­ly un­der, I would say, de­ten­tion at his home through or­ders that were is­sued by the Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice un­der Sec­tion 4C of the (SoE) reg­u­la­tions.”

Smith added that of the 40-plus pri­or­i­ty of­fend­ers who are al­leged­ly af­fil­i­at­ed with gang ac­tiv­i­ties, oth­ers are un­der house ar­rest but he could not give any fur­ther de­tails.

Lee, ac­cord­ing to po­lice, was the in­tend­ed tar­get when gun­men wait­ed out­side the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion on De­cem­ber 28, 2024. Trevor Williams, who was ac­com­pa­ny­ing Lee at the time, was killed when the gun­men fired at the group as they left the sta­tion af­ter Lee had signed the bail book. A day lat­er, Cleon Lu­g­in, 37, Der­ron Cal­liste, 35, Kam­bon Omowale, 39, Garet Smart, and Ryan Lessey, 24, were killed in a sus­pect­ed reprisal at­tack.

The fol­low­ing day, the SoE was an­nounced, af­ter po­lice told Gov­ern­ment it had in­for­ma­tion of in­tend­ed in­creased gang vi­o­lence with the use of high-pow­ered weapons.

Deputy Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Ju­nior Ben­jamin al­so said since the SoE be­gan there had been 473 op­er­a­tions tar­get­ing 503 pri­or­i­ty of­fend­ers, with 360 peo­ple ar­rest­ed. He said there were 321 traf­fic op­er­a­tions re­sult­ing in 951 traf­fic of­fences. Over­all, there were 2,495 search­es with 22 guns and 818 rounds of as­sort­ed am­mu­ni­tion re­cov­ered, and 84 kilo­grammes of mar­i­jua­na and 592 grammes of co­caine seized.

Ben­jamin said the po­lice will learn from their SoE strate­gies.

“We con­tin­ue to in­ten­si­fy our work. We are hop­ing and, again, ap­pre­ci­at­ing that there are lessons learned. We will con­tin­ue to learn from those lessons, so that even af­ter the SoE, we are say­ing with the out­comes, with the lessons learned, we are go­ing to put the nec­es­sary re­sults in terms of our goals go­ing for­ward.”

Of­fi­cers must re­port to du­ty

Mean­while, Ben­jamin said the po­lice are well sup­port­ed by the De­fence Force while Smith called on po­lice of­fi­cers to heed the call to re­turn from va­ca­tion. Smith said fail­ing to ad­here can lead to dis­ci­pli­nary ac­tion. All po­lice of­fi­cers have been asked to re­port to du­ty as the coun­try is un­der a SoE.

Ben­jamin added that the is­sue of ve­hi­cles is be­ing ad­dressed.

In a me­dia re­lease last Oc­to­ber, the po­lice said it ac­quired 166 new ve­hi­cles, with 93 be­ing added to its fleet im­me­di­ate­ly and 73 more by De­cem­ber.

Asked about this, Ben­jamin said the ad­di­tion­al ve­hi­cles were not re­ceived and it is be­ing ad­dressed.

“Well, present­ly, we have some of the ve­hi­cles. Even up to to­day, we have put things in place and we are work­ing on get­ting the next set of ve­hi­cles. But again, we are putting those things in place to en­sure with­in the very near fu­ture, we have that so that it can at least help us in terms of in­creased mo­bil­i­ty and get­ting things done, prob­a­bly af­ter the SoE. But it is in train even as we speak.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored