Two members of the People’s National Movement’s (PNM) San Fernando East constituency executive resigned yesterday, following the release of a statement on Thursday, in the executive’s name, criticising San Fernando East MP Brian Manning.
The resignations came even as PNM chairman Marvin Gonzales reiterated his warning against public infighting, saying he would personally remind the constituency executive to follow the party leadership’s guidance.
“The party will not respond to the San Fernando East statement. But my statement stands, and I’ll let them know personally,” Gonzales said yesterday.
The executive’s statement was issued in response to comments made by Manning on Tuesday, in which he expressed concern over what he described as inadequate action on issues raised by constituency members and conveyed to the party’s leadership. Some of those concerns involved constituency chairman Patricia Alexis.
Following Manning’s comments, Gonzales outlined steps being taken by the party to address the matter and urged all parties to refrain from engaging in public allegations and counter-allegations.
However, hours after Gonzales’ appeal, the San Fernando East executive released a statement defending Alexis and criticising Manning, including his performance as the constituency’s parliamentary representative.
Executive members resign
Yesterday, two of the executive’s 12 committee members tendered their resignations in letters addressed to constituency secretary Abigail Cox.
One member wrote: “Please accept my formal resignation from the post of committee member of the PNM San Fernando East Constituency Executive. I thank you and the other members of the Executive for welcoming me and for the invaluable experience gained during my tenure.”
The second stated: “With immediate effect, kindly accept my resignation as a committee member. I wish to thank the San Fernando East constituency for the opportunity to serve and for the invaluable experience.”
Efforts to contact Cox for comment were unsuccessful last evening.
However, sources familiar with the matter claimed that several executive members were upset because the statement on Thursday was issued without their knowledge or approval and that they only became aware of it after it had been released publicly.
Alexis did not respond to questions from Guardian Media regarding claims that executive members were not informed of the statement before its release or what action, if any, the executive had taken since.
Manning yesterday declined to comment on the resignations.
Meanwhile, Gonzales denied suggestions that the party leadership had instructed anyone to resign.
No-confidence motion reportedly fails
Earlier yesterday, Manning said he was informed of an unsuccessful attempt to bring a motion of no confidence against him during a meeting on Thursday night.
“I’m told it was shouted down by people and didn’t reach a vote,” he said.
The executive’s public statement followed shortly afterwards.
Alexis also did not respond yesterday to questions about the reported motion, or whether the executive intended to comply with Gonzales’ call to stop discussing the matter publicly.
Manning said he took particular exception to the executive’s statement referencing his deceased father, former prime minister and former San Fernando East MP Patrick Manning.
Calling for Alexis to be removed as chairman, Manning said the party leader had the authority to ask any constituency chairman to step aside.
“This issue could have been handled better. I’ve used every avenue within the party to bring these matters to the leadership. They were simply ignored,” he said.
Gonzales: “I’m disappointed”
Asked about the continued public exchanges despite his call for restraint earlier this week, Gonzales said he was dissatisfied with the situation.
“I’m very disappointed and disheartened,” he said.
“But my resolve remains unshaken. I’ll remind the parties of my statement and call upon them to immediately desist from public commentary on the matter, allow the authorised processes to take their course, and recognise that continued public engagement will damage both the constituency and the party.”
Former PNM general secretary Ashton Ford said yesterday that the dispute would not have escalated under previous party leaders.
“This wouldn’t have happened under other leaders. If this continues and the leadership doesn’t get up and act promptly, the PNM will be going down the road to disaster, with people doing their own thing,” Ford said.
“You can’t have Marvin as chairman saying one thing and people simply ignoring it.”
Ford said party officials needed to engage members directly rather than attempt to manage problems from a distance.
“They have to call people in and talk with them. That’s how we operated under Eric Williams’ training. But they’re staying in offices, giving instructions and thinking that suffices. It won’t.”
He added: “I’m seeing the whole place in disarray. I don’t know where it will end up. But PNMites like myself, Marilyn Gordon and others can’t sit around and watch the PNM disintegrate. We have to take action to protect the party.”
Le Hunte urges restraint
PNM treasurer Robert Le Hunte yesterday defended the party’s handling of the dispute and urged members to allow internal processes to work.
“Against that background, all members, regardless of the strength of their individual views, have a responsibility to respect the process and allow it to work,” he said.
“That responsibility applies equally to all sides. Once a matter has been placed before the party’s established organs and those processes are actively engaged, continued public exchanges risk shifting the focus from resolution to confrontation.”
Le Hunte said restraint was now in the best interests of the constituency, the individuals involved and the party.
“Mr Manning and Ms Alexis both hold important positions within the PNM. They are entitled, as is every member, to raise concerns through the party’s constitutional structures.
“Equally, having invoked those structures, there is a corresponding responsibility to respect the process and ultimately the decisions of the party’s appropriate organs.”
PNM Trincity party group 39 issues
Former PNM general secretary Ashton Ford yesterday alluded to issues in other PNM constituencies where executive elections are on.
He said a constituency was supposed to meet on Tuesday for their annual general meeting, they received instructions not to miss it, but it got cancelled “just so.”
PNM executive officials didn’t comment on the issue. But TG was informed that Party Group 39 in Trincity Maloney was due to have a meeting which was later cancelled due to issues with conducting the meeting. It resulted in the Group’s demand on Tuesday for refund of $2,540 which had been paid to the party as fees for new memberships.
