JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Phillip: Hartwell failed to deliver

by

Sports Desk
1859 days ago
20200302
T&T's ace international cyclists Njisane Phillip

T&T's ace international cyclists Njisane Phillip

CA-images

Na­tion­al cy­clist Njisane Phillip feels that tech­ni­cal di­rec­tor Erin Hartwell did not de­liv­er on his promise to get T&T's cy­cling teams to the up­com­ing Tokyo Olympics.

"Erin's job when he came to T&T was to qual­i­fy teams. Present­ly if you check his (job) de­scrip­tion he was sup­posed to qual­i­fy team sprint so he failed. At the end of the day in his four years, he failed. He wasn’t able to get T&T to the Olympics in the team sprint.

"T&T had al­ready qual­i­fied for sprint and be­fore 2012-2016. So he didn’t re­al­ly come here to do any­thing new, we have been do­ing this by our­selves," said Phillip harsh­ly, dur­ing an in­ter­view with host An­dre Er­rol Bap­tiste on Is­ports on i95.5fm on Sat­ur­day where he ad­mit­ted that he is the cy­clist in ques­tion in the al­leged dop­ing in­fringe­ment at the Pan Amer­i­can Games held in Li­ma Pe­ru, last year.

How­ev­er, the lead­ing na­tion­al cy­clist was con­fi­dent that he will be ex­on­er­at­ed al­though not giv­ing de­tails on the mat­ter and be­lieves de­spite the ab­sence of Hartwell, the team will not be af­fect­ed at the Tokyo Olympics, say­ing: "The team is not go­ing to strug­gle in the Olympic Games."

<Hartwell aban­doned us>

Phillip said: "I was the per­son who got him his job. At the end of the day, I didn't like how he aban­doned us, this was his job. He came and signed up for a job and when he re­alised we weren’t qual­i­fy­ing, he want­ed to leave, he de­cid­ed to have bad blood with us.

"We've been hav­ing prob­lems with him since Hong Kong. He knew that we weren't go­ing to qual­i­fy any more based on our re­sults in Hong Kong be­cause we placed sev­enth.

"From since that World Cup he has been us­ing all dif­fer­ent things, tac­tics to kind of ba­si­cal­ly dis­tance him­self from the team. At the end of the day, even if he had a prob­lem with Njisane why didn't he stay for Kwe­si Brown and Nicholas Paul. Nicholas is the World record-hold­er. Nicholas helped Erin de­vel­op his re­sume as well, and for T&T to get the World record that's a big deal. To turn­around two months be­fore the Olympics and aban­don the team to go to Chi­na.

"I un­der­stand he want­ed to keep the team en­vi­ron­ment but you see Hartwell is get­ting US$11,000 a month, Njisane Phillip is not even get­ting TT$11,000 a month. I'm try­ing to ex­plain this to every­one across the board and the Min­istry of Sports as well. When I spoke to her (Min­is­ter Sham­fa Cud­joe) and I want­ed to know what is go­ing on with the fund­ing and with the team and she ba­si­cal­ly said they go­ing to get back to us soon I asked based on the mil­lion dol­lars, are we go­ing to get a stipend or some­thing to pay for train­ing to pay for food?” de­clared a frus­trat­ed Phillip.

<No fund­ing for cy­clists>

Rep­re­sent­ing T&T is very cost­ly he said with lit­tle or no fund­ing for na­tion­al ath­letes.

"I don’t know what is re­al­ly go­ing on with the elite fund­ing. For the past three years, we haven't re­ceived any fund­ing, not just cy­cling but sports across the board."

"No one is get­ting fund­ing. The on­ly fund­ing we ac­tu­al­ly re­ceiv­ing right now is from the Prime Min­is­ter, which is the Prime Min­is­ter's grant; the Sports and Cul­ture Fund. In 2019, went there, they even gave me $6,000 last year be­cause they not pay­ing out the $250,000. Rea­son be­ing the Min­istry of Sports is not pay­ing out the $250,000. I don’t know but with­in the sports pol­i­cy, we are ranked with­in the Top 40 in the world and still noth­ing. I spoke to the Min­is­ter of Sports as well and just noth­ing."

Phillip said that the last thing he and his fel­low cy­clists tried to do was to get fund­ing again from the Prime Min­is­ter grant but was told the cy­cling fed­er­a­tion was giv­en a mil­lion dol­lars but they were not the re­cip­i­ents of any funds which led to "wheel sit­u­a­tion".

"Pre­vi­ous­ly, the na­tion­al team had no equip­ment. All the equip­ment is my equip­ment, the five wheels that the team has been us­ing. Nicholas Paul, at one point in time, had no equip­ment. He was us­ing my wheels when he set the record at the CAC (Cen­tral Amer­i­can and Caribbean) Games. Wheels that I own, that my fa­ther pur­chased for me, so over the ten years I've been col­lect­ing wheels. I've al­ways been tak­ing care of my equip­ment so I'm able to let my team­mates use them. Some wheels were dam­aged in the process so when they re­im­bursed them (TTCF), I end­ed up tak­ing what be­longed to me."

<Let's wait on CAS de­ci­sion>

On get­ting his name cleared, the Lon­don Olympics fourth-place fin­ish­er in the match sprint said: "Can’t re­al­ly talk about that right now but a lot of peo­ple have mis­in­for­ma­tion. That is in the Court of Ar­bi­tra­tion and I think I will be com­ing out good. At the end of the day, I nev­er cheat­ed any­body in the sport and soon­er or lat­er my name will be cleared.

"That vi­o­la­tion has been go­ing on since last year Au­gust and I've been per­form­ing at the high­est lev­el af­ter that. My gov­ern­ing body hasn't stepped in and giv­en me a pro­vi­sion­al sus­pen­sion or any­thing right now. They are just ba­si­cal­ly go­ing through the pa­per­work be­cause based on the sub­stance it's not a per­for­mance-en­hance­ment and it wasn’t some­thing used to cheat my com­peti­tors. They ba­si­cal­ly have that in­for­ma­tion on pa­per, they tak­ing that in­to con­sid­er­a­tion and that's why I'm still cleared to ride."

The 28-year-old is will­ing to re­turn to the na­tion­al cy­cling fold.

"Once they start to treat us the way we need to be treat­ed I don't mind com­ing back and giv­ing Trinidad 100 per cent but right now based on how the sys­tem is struc­tured and how the sys­tem is work­ing I can't af­ford to give T&T no more time. I def­i­nite­ly think that's go­ing to be the best op­tion for them right now be­ing away from Trinidad be­ing able to fo­cus over there. Nicholas over there, he's fa­mil­iar with the place and I think he'll be great, you know to­day (Sat­ur­day) he did a new per­son­al best from 9.5 so I think it's go­ing to work out for him. Def­i­nite­ly, any­thing these boys need my help I am a phone call away any­time they need me, I'm will­ing to as­sist."

"Hope­ful­ly I can join Nicholas again next year and go through to 2024 again things have to be in place for us to be able to step back out­per­form to the high­est lev­el be­cause again we not just na­tion­al cham­pi­ons any­more we are World-class and they have to be able to in­vest in us like we are World-class."


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored