Derek Achong
Senior Reporter
derek.achong@guardian.co.tt
Two businesses owned by Tobago business magnate Allan Warner have lodged a final appeal over the refusal of the local courts to grant an injunction over the release of heavy equipment and a property that was seized by the police as part of an ongoing investigation into their mining operation.
A notice issued on the United Kingdom-based Privy Council’s website yesterday indicated that Warns Quarry Company Limited and Pres-T-Con 2021 Limited had applied for permission to appeal preliminary rulings delivered by a High Court Judge and the Court of Appeal.
Last year, the two companies, several others owned by Warner, his son Aluko, a group of employees and independent contractors filed a lawsuit contending that an ongoing police probe, which resulted in the individuals and Warner being charged with engaging in illegal quarrying, was unlawful and unconstitutional.
The claimants in the case were Warns Quarry Company Ltd, Warner Construction and Sanitation Ltd, Inez Investments Ltd, Pres-T-Con 2021 Ltd, Allcrete Ltd, Warner’s son Aluko, employees Robert Wilson, Ricky Joseph, Corey Charles, Kimal Williams, Willinsque Tobias, and Shastri Madhoo and independent contractors Rueben Maprangala, Deon George, Rudy Sahai, Aaron Neptune, and Ahmeed David.
Through an associated injunction application, they were seeking the return of heavy equipment, tools and communication devices that were seized by police officers during raids in December 2023, and in May last year, as well as the release of a 16.67-hectare parcel of land in Wallerfield that was commandeered by the police as part of their probe.
They were also seeking the release of a large quantity of original documents that were seized from their offices.
In the lawsuit, the group’s lawyers noted that Pres-T-Con obtained a 25-year lease from a company for the Wallerfield property in January 2022.
Pres-T-Con granted permission to Warns Quarry to occupy the property and the latter was granted a licence from the Commissioner of State Lands on May 20, last year.
They noted that on June 18, the Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries granted Warns Quarry a conditional authorisation to undertake mineral processing at the property until the end of this year.
Warner, his son, and seven employees and associates were charged with processing aggregate without a licence under Section 45(1)(a) of the Minerals Act.
The group, which has denied any wrongdoing, faces a $200,000 fine and imprisonment for two years if they are eventually convicted.
In September, last year, High Court Judge Frank Seepersad dismissed the injunction application.
Several months later, Appellate Judges Mark Mohammed and Peter Rajkumar rejected an appeal from the group alleging that Justice Seepersad erred in his decision.
Justice Rajkumar ruled that his colleague correctly found that the companies and individuals had an arguable case to take to trial and that they could be eventually compensated if they were eventually successful.
He also agreed that the injunction would not prevent further reputational damage as claimed by the companies and individuals.
Stating that they had already taken legal action for defamation against a newspaper, which reported on the probe, Justice Rajkumar said: “Reputational damage cannot be undone.”
Justice Rajkumar also noted that the parties could not claim that their constitutional right to the enjoyment of their property was infringed as the police did not block their access to their property while at the quarry to preserve evidence.
He also pointed out that the police vacated the location two days after the injunction was refused.
“The situation with the real property no longer exists,” he said.
Lastly, Justice Rajkumar rejected claims that Justice Seepersad could be perceived to be biased based on a sermon he delivered to a church congregation almost a year before he considered the injunction.