Four people are currently in police custody, as officers continue investigations into the disappearance of a Galil rifle from Teteron Barracks on Saturday.
According to the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS), despite the detention of the suspects, the investigation is being actively pursued and members of the public are reminded that the Ministry of National Security is still offering a $75,000 reward to anyone who can provide information that will lead to the arrest and prosecution of persons responsible for the disappearance of the said weapon.
It said anyone with information that can lead to the retrieval of the weapon and the arrest of the perpetrator(s) can call CRIME STOPPERS at 800-TIPS, 555 or the St James Police Station at 622-3695.
On Monday, there were rumours that the gun had been found in Chaguaramas, then in Belmont, but these were dispelled by Deputy Commissioner of Police Investigations and Intelligence Curt Simon.
Simon said the weapon was not found and investigations are ongoing.
At a news conference on Sunday, Lt Col Ashook Singh, acting Commanding Officer of the T&T Regiment, said that at about 12.30 am on Sunday, a senior officer on duty was alerted by a TTDF member who was on duty, who had the rifle assigned to him, that the weapon was missing.
An investigation was immediately launched by the TTDF and later by the TTPS, including the Inter-Agency Task Force, to find the assault rifle and bring the perpetrator/s to justice.
Chief of Defence Staff Air Vice Marshall Darryl Daniel, who also spoke at Sunday’s media conference, said the incident was “very disturbing” but assured that all efforts will be made to address it.
“Be guided that the decisions, the recommendations and the request made by the Defence Force are in place to prevent such incidents from occurring,” he said.