JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Duke wants WASA head fired

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1434 days ago
20210430

An­na-Lisa Paul

Pub­lic Ser­vices As­so­ci­a­tion (PSA) Pres­i­dent Wat­son Duke has chal­lenged Pub­lic Util­i­ties Min­is­ter Mar­vin Gon­za­les to fire the Ex­ec­u­tive Di­rec­tor of the Wa­ter and Sew­er­age Au­thor­i­ty (WASA), Lennox Sealy, claim­ing he is un­fit to lead the cash-strapped State agency.

He made the call dur­ing a press con­fer­ence at the PSA Head Of­fice, Aber­crom­by Street, Port-of-Spain yes­ter­day.

Duke ac­cused Sealy of be­ing on a per­son­al cru­sade to dis­cred­it him and re­duce his pro­fes­sion­al achieve­ments and po­lit­i­cal as­pi­ra­tions.

He claimed that Sealy had writ­ten “a bold and dar­ing” let­ter to him on March 9, ask­ing him to re­sign from WASA.

“It dis­turbed my peace and def­i­nite­ly shook my state of mind.”

Hav­ing re­fused to re­spond by the March 26 dead­line set by Sealy, Duke said a sec­ond “more con­cise and cun­ning” let­ter on April 14, plain­ly stat­ed that, “My work in the PSA did not serve the in­ter­ests of WASA…and he (Sealy) fur­ther went on to at­tack my po­lit­i­cal in­ter­ests, to say that it is in con­flict with the Civ­il Ser­vice Act.”

In the sec­ond let­ter, Duke was told to re­spond with­in three days or face ter­mi­na­tion from WASA.

Duke said it was on­ly yes­ter­day that he re­ceived a third let­ter from Sealy in which it was con­firmed that Duke had been grant­ed time off with­out pay, for in­dus­tri­al re­la­tions pur­pos­es from De­cem­ber 2020 to De­cem­ber 2024 had been grant­ed, pur­suant to Ar­ti­cle 37 of the Col­lec­tive Agree­ment.

Duke qui­et­ly cel­e­brat­ed as he re­vealed that Sealy had al­so with­drawn the let­ters from March 9 and April 14.

Re­gard­ing the min­is­ter, Duke said, “I call up­on him...to re­voke the ap­point­ment forth­with of Lennox Sealy as he is un­wor­thy to lead the WASA.”

Dur­ing the si­mul­ta­ne­ous broad­cast on his var­i­ous so­cial me­dia plat­forms, Duke said, “He (Sealy) is mak­ing bad mis­takes that is tor­ment­ing the lives of peo­ple and I will ask my at­tor­ney to pur­sue this as it did cause me pain and suf­fer­ing, and caused my fam­i­ly un­due dis­tress…to see where it ends up based on the law.”

In­di­cat­ing that Sealy nev­er is­sued an apol­o­gy, Duke said he should do the “right thing and re­sign, and if he doesn’t, I am call­ing up­on the min­is­ter to grow some what­ev­er and re­voke his ap­point­ment. Such a man is a shame and an em­bar­rass­ment for this coun­try.”

Con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, Pub­lic Util­i­ties Min­is­ter Mar­vin Gon­za­les said, “When I learnt about it, I ad­vised him (Sealy) that these mat­ters are based on es­tab­lished in­dus­tri­al re­la­tions prac­tices and should on­ly be en­gaged with up­on care­ful and dili­gent le­gal coun­sel.”

Gon­za­les said Sealy took his ad­vice and “is now guid­ed by Coun­sel on these is­sues.”

Ad­di­tion­al­ly, he said Sealy had been ad­vised to con­tin­ue fo­cus­ing on WASA’s trans­for­ma­tion and re­struc­tur­ing process.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored