JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Judge criticises former Govt as Kublalsingh wins case

by

1618 days ago
20201028
Dr Wayne Kublalsingh stands opposite the Red House on Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain during his protest last Friday.

Dr Wayne Kublalsingh stands opposite the Red House on Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain during his protest last Friday.

ABRAHAM DIAZ

Derek Achong

A High Court Judge has strong­ly crit­i­cised for­mer Gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials for their han­dling of op­po­si­tion to the con­struc­tion of the con­tro­ver­sial Debe to Mon De­sir seg­ment of the Point Fortin High­way project.

Jus­tice James Aboud gave the crit­i­cism in a 62-page judge­ment on Mon­day, in which he up­held a law­suit brought by en­vi­ron­men­tal­ist Dr Wayne Kublals­ingh and the High­way Reroute Move­ment (HRM). 

In the law­suit, Kublals­ingh and his group suc­cess­ful­ly claimed that they had a le­git­i­mate ex­pec­ta­tion that the Gov­ern­ment would have con­sid­ered their tech­ni­cal con­cerns be­fore mov­ing ahead with the project. 

In his judge­ment, Aboud sought to analyse two re­ports which were com­mis­sioned by the Peo­ple's Part­ner­ship Gov­ern­ment fol­low­ing ex­ten­sive protest ac­tion, which in­clud­ed two hunger strikes by Kublals­ingh. 

In terms of an ini­tial re­port pro­duced by a team from the Na­tion­al In­fra­struc­ture Prop­er­ty De­vel­op­ment Com­pa­ny (Nid­co), Aboud stat­ed that it could not be con­sid­ered a re­view as it sim­ply re­stat­ed and jus­ti­fied the Gov­ern­ment's pol­i­cy with­out re­gard to the con­cerns raised. 

"To as­sert that the re­view was not in­tend­ed to be in­de­pen­dent is akin to say­ing that I should sit on the ap­peal of my own judge­ment. The Nid­co re­port which com­prised a mere 10 pages was sim­ply a jus­ti­fi­ca­tion for con­struct­ing the high­way and did not mean­ing­ful­ly ad­dress the con­cerns of the HRM or the claimants," Aboud said, as he de­scribed it as a trav­es­ty and sham. 

He not­ed that through analy­sis of pub­lic com­ments made by sev­er­al Gov­ern­ment min­is­ters in­clud­ing for­mer prime min­is­ter Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar, the group ex­pect­ed a le­git­i­mate re­view be­fore con­struc­tion con­tin­ued.

Aboud al­so not­ed that the re­port had al­ready been pre­pared and not dis­closed when the Min­istry of Works so­licit­ed feed­back from Kublals­ingh and the group. 

"Such a con­sul­ta­tion is a mere pre­tence or cha­rade that some­thing mean­ing­ful is tak­ing place. It was not in keep­ing with sev­er­al promis­es that had been made," Aboud said, as he not­ed the State's con­duct breached every rule of nat­ur­al jus­tice. 

In terms of the sec­ond re­port pre­pared by the High­way Re­view Com­mit­tee (HRC) led by  for­mer In­de­pen­dent Sen­a­tor Dr James Arm­strong, Aboud ques­tioned why its rec­om­men­da­tion, to stop the project to al­low for more tech­ni­cal re­views, was not fol­lowed. 

"Hav­ing spent over $700,000 for the HRC Re­port, it is un­con­scionable that the Gov­ern­ment should have de­cid­ed to en­tire­ly dis­re­gard its rec­om­men­da­tions," Aboud said. 

He de­scribed the Gov­ern­ment's han­dling of both re­ports as a "shock­ing be­tray­al". 

"The State ought to strive to em­body the na­tion's high­est moral and eth­i­cal prin­ci­ples in all that it says and does," he said. 

"In ef­fect, the ac­tions of the Gov­ern­ment ap­pear to have been an at­tempt to out-ma­noeu­vre Dr Kublals­ingh and the HRM by any means nec­es­sary in or­der to fa­cil­i­tate the con­tin­ued con­struc­tion of the high­way as orig­i­nal­ly con­ceived," he added.  

As a sec­ondary is­sue, the group al­so sought and ob­tained a de­c­la­ra­tion that the al­leged ac­tions of for­mer na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty min­is­ter Jack Warn­er and the T&T Reg­i­ment in de­stroy­ing the Debe protest camp on June 27, 2012, were il­le­gal.

Aboud al­so ruled that Kublals­ingh and HRM mem­ber Eliz­a­beth Ramb­harose has been as­sault­ed and bat­tered by the sol­diers. 

In ad­di­tion to the $500,000 in dam­ages award­ed to the group for breach­es of their con­sti­tu­tion­al rights, Aboud award­ed Ramb­harose $15,000 in dam­ages for the at­tack. Kublals­ingh re­ceived $50,000 as he was ar­rest­ed and de­tained by po­lice un­like Ramb­harose. 

"If a par­ty of po­lice or army of­fi­cers in­vad­ed prop­er­ty I oc­cu­pied with in­ten­tions to de­mol­ish it and I was con­vinced that they had no le­gal right to en­ter it, it would be rea­son­able for me to re­sist them,” About said.

He al­so not­ed that the ac­tion or­dered by Warn­er was dis­pro­por­tion­ate as they were en­gaged in peace­ful ac­tiv­i­ty.

“I get the im­pres­sion that Mr Warn­er’s de­ci­sions were meant to demon­strate the brute force of the State and its in­tol­er­ance of the HRM’s per­sis­tent dis­sent,” About said, as he not­ed that own­er­ship of the site could not be raised as no State-agency sought to in­voke its ti­tle to evict them.

De­spite the group’s le­gal vic­to­ry in the law­suit, the group is still chal­leng­ing the out­come of a sep­a­rate law­suit over the cur­rent Gov­ern­ment's move to restart the project af­ter it stalled due to is­sues with fi­nanc­ing and Brazil­ian con­trac­tor OAS Con­stru­to­ra. 

In a judge­ment, in April, Jus­tice Ricky Rahim ruled that al­though the group had a le­git­i­mate ex­pec­ta­tion that there would have been con­sul­ta­tion be­fore the restart, the State could not be held li­able for breach­ing it as it was in the pub­lic's in­ter­est to do so. 

Rahim said: "There is a high pub­lic in­ter­est com­po­nent in en­sur­ing that mon­ey al­ready ex­pend­ed is not wast­ed or thrown away by way of the degra­da­tion of ex­ist­ing struc­tures with­out prop­er­ly se­cur­ing them, in this case by com­plet­ing them." 

As part of the ap­peal, the group has filed for an in­junc­tion to stop the work over al­leged breach­es of the Land Ac­qui­si­tion Act. The in­junc­tion ap­pli­ca­tion is ex­pect­ed to come up for hear­ing on No­vem­ber 5. A date for the hear­ing of the sub­stan­tive ap­peal is yet to be set by the Ju­di­cia­ry. 

Kublals­ingh and the HRM were rep­re­sent­ed by Ramesh Lawrence Ma­haraj, SC, Fyard Ho­sein, SC, Rishi Dass, Anil Maraj, and Vi­jaya Ma­haraj. 

The State was rep­re­sent­ed by Rus­sell Mar­tineau, SC, Deb­o­rah Peake, SC, Kelvin Ramkissoon, Shas­tri Roberts, Ke­l­isha Bel­lo, Kendra Mark, and Ryan­ka Rag­bir. 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored